Anyone else having a mild case of cold feet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gotten one text, and my puppy chewed the bottom corner off of it. Thanks...might be doing some pre-vet school practice.

IMG_1107.jpg
Worse than chewed....7th edition will be out in time for classes. I bought 6 too

Members don't see this ad.

Worse than chewed....7th edition will be out in time for classes. I bought 6 too

Yah but how much could've changed in 6 years? I'd imagine much of it is the same.

Mine is used from another student and has a ton of corrections and stuff through out it as well, so I assume they'll tell us what's changed.

Its a shame he chewed on THAT book, its actually probably the most helpful book for learning anatomy.

Seriously. Its the only one you really need. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I'm really looking forward to being on VIN but I have a bit of a guilty complex that prevents me from trying now that I hear that people have gotten mixed/negative messages. I guess it's OK since they activated you, but I'll probably wait just because I'm a worry wart!

I tried a couple of days ago and it went through fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

I really really wish VIN had this layout of message board styles. Other than that it's pretty neat.

I really really wish VIN had this layout of message board styles. Other than that it's pretty neat.

i agree, i think the layout of the site is pretty confusing, but it's still very cool =]

Yah but how much could've changed in 6 years? I'd imagine much of it is the same.

Mine is used from another student and has a ton of corrections and stuff through out it as well, so I assume they'll tell us what's changed.

You shouldn't have problems with older editions of "Little Miller's". The only main thing I've noticed is they flip flop back and forth between common peroneal nerve and common fibular nerve....which took me about a month to figure out! I like to take Lil' Millers in lab with me because it is a dissection manual, and then I read Dyce or "Big Millers" for more details/concepts. Millers is canine only and Dyce is comparative.

Konig has amazing colored images with great comparative anatomy...but it is super expensive (I think around $400). http://www.buy.com/prod/veterinary-anatomy-of-domestic-mammals-textbook-and-colour-atlas/q/loc/106/204029851.html

I'm bumping this thread because it was started by 2013ers and that gives me hope.

For me, it's not so much a case of cold feet as it is downright fear. I've been doubting myself so much recently. I just don't know of I have what it takes to not completely fail all these intense courses...and then not totally belly flop in clinics (and I can't even see myself in clinics since I've never really don't anything like that before). Sigh. So much uncertainty. What's worse is that I can't help feeling as though I "got lucky" this cycle. Don't get me wrong, I've worked super hard, but I worry I haven't put in as much time as I should have. I feel so unprepared. :(

/vent.

I'm bumping this thread because it was started by 2013ers and that gives me hope.

For me, it's not so much a case of cold feet as it is downright fear. I've been doubting myself so much recently. I just don't know of I have what it takes to not completely fail all these intense courses...and then not totally belly flop in clinics (and I can't even see myself in clinics since I've never really don't anything like that before). Sigh. So much uncertainty. What's worse is that I can't help feeling as though I "got lucky" this cycle. Don't get me wrong, I've worked super hard, but I worry I haven't put in as much time as I should have. I feel so unprepared. :(

/vent.

Same here...Im super excited but also nervous. There are days like yesterday where between work, my kid, dinner, and working out I feel "done for the day" at 9:30 and I am like "OMG, how am I going to do this in a few months when I have to factor in studying?" I've been out of school since Dec 2010 and while I have certainly stayed busy I have checked out of "my life revolving around school mode" and I am just hoping I can get back on it.

I am terrified. Terrified that I am not good enough... terrified that the adcoms made a mistake... and terrified that I will fail :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't say I have "cold feet" per se...like I'm not really debating whether to go or not at this point. I know for certain I'm going, I'm just nervous. Nervous that I'm not cut out for the intense classes, nervous I'll fail, nervous people won't take me seriously. I don't even take myself seriously most of the time, and have a fear that I won't ever gain enough confidence in myself to be able to seem confident to future clients. But then I see that the people that started this thread and commented on it are now veterinarians. And I think to myself "They had the same fears and doubts and they made it through, so I can too. :)"

Most people have "imposter syndrome" and it doesn't always go away. Just do your very best to use vet school as a foundation for the rest of your career. Everyone CAN do it. :luck:

:nod:

Right now I really don't want to go to vet school. It's not that I'm doubting I can get through it, it's more that I'm dreading how much I won't enjoy it.

I'm not thinking about vet school either way: excited or dreading it. I'm really bad at making myself feel emotions without giving myself justification for them. Meaning, I have no idea how vet school's going to be, how I'm going to handle it, how I'm going to feel about it. So I simply can't anticipate anything.

I AM, however, super excited about my trailer. Because I've seen it and I know what it's like and I can plan how to decorate it, etc. But the actual classes and everything are just one big blank.

It's nice to read that others feel the same. I keep thinking they made a mistake letting me in. I have a common last name, so sometimes I think they must have meant to offer the position to someone else with the same last name. Right now I'm freaking out that my spring transcripts will get lost or I will forget to send in a form and the school will be like "You're outta here" before I even start.

Then again I've always been a worry wart about everything so vet school just gives me something new to worry about:)

I am terrified. Terrified that I am not good enough... terrified that the adcoms made a mistake... and terrified that I will fail :confused:

I felt the *exact* same way, completely. Actually, I felt that way through most of vet school. But I did well, and now I'm graduating in two days :love: You probably won't believe me, because I didn't when people told me this, but the adcoms chose you because they absolutely believe that you can do it. And trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. Hang in there, you'll go great I'm sure. :D

There have been days that I have seriously questioned myself and if I should go to vet school... Not so much about the schoolwork but because I am terrified of the debt.

I took a Dave Ramsey course last fall and it has been both the best and worst thing that ever happened to me.. The best thing ever bc I have become an excellent money manager... Paid off everything and am currently debt free... The worst thing ever bc all I can think about is how much debt I will have and that I may never be able to pay it off.. I've spoken to my Drs about this and they tell me that it will be ok and that there are ways to pay off the debt.. And also that there is no way around the debt so you just have to do it... :(

/vent.

I know I had the same fears before I started. I was extremely terrified of clinics because I didn't have much experience in a clinic setting. Yet here I am on week 8 of clinics, really enjoying it so far. I got a B+ on my first rotation, soft tissue surgery. I think here at least a lot of how well you do in clinics is based on your attitude. If you show that you are willing to learn, have a good attitude, and put forth a good effort, you'll be fine. :)

Fear of failure is extremely common. I am in the same boat as all of you and I wonder if I am 'good enough' and what if I can't keep up?

I always like to remind myself a famous quote from a legendary boxing trainer who used to say,"it's ok to be scared before a fight, it makes you more prepared and focused to step up. It's when you're not scared, that's when it catches you off guard."

It's nice to know that so many of us share these feelings, which is also probably an indicator that we are exaggerating our fears. :rolleyes:

I felt the *exact* same way, completely. Actually, I felt that way through most of vet school. But I did well, and now I'm graduating in two days :love: You probably won't believe me, because I didn't when people told me this, but the adcoms chose you because they absolutely believe that you can do it. And trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. Hang in there, you'll go great I'm sure. :D

Thank you for this! Super comforting :thumbup: :)

It's nice to know that so many of us share these feelings, which is also probably an indicator that we are exaggerating our fears. :rolleyes:

Super comforting to know so many of you feel the same way. Whenever I have a spare moment I start thinking and it leads to bad places.. I need to be more positive. I feel like I've been working for this goal for so many years and now that I'm here.. I am so scared of failing out or not doing well. It kind of just hit me that I'm IN (delayed reaction :laugh:). Hopefully these nerves die down soon..

That actually did make me feel better :) Thank you so much!!

I think everyone has the same fears going into vet school. The first day of orientation when I went to go get my packet I was so worried they wouldn't have it, because I thought they made a mistake by letting me in.

Failing is a real fear, and some do fail out first year, but if you put in the effort you will make it.
You can do this c/o 2017 :luck: Take the next 2 months and be happy!

I'm scared that I won't make any friends (I don't drink (or enjoy going to bars or parties where people are drinking), I don't like a lot of genres of movies, and I don't like to drive to places, which I'm afraid will severely limit how much I will socialize with classmates outside of the time between classes; I'm also afraid that no one will like me), and that vet school will take so much of my time that I have to give up the things I've gotten involved in this year. :(

I'm scared that I won't make any friends (I don't drink (or enjoy going to bars or parties where people are drinking), I don't like a lot of genres of movies, and I don't like to drive to places, which I'm afraid will severely limit how much I will socialize with classmates outside of the time between classes; I'm also afraid that no one will like me), and that vet school will take so much of my time that I have to give up the things I've gotten involved in this year. :(

If it helps, I rarely drink, I don't like most parties, and I hate watching movies in theaters because I can't sit still. I also didn't have a car for a lot of vet school. And I have super awesome vet school friends. Give it some time, and you will be just fine. And don't be afraid to push yourself a little (I don't mean you should drink if that's not your thing, but you can take small steps with the movie/car things). People get over the overly drunk party thing after first year anyway. :p

Just try and relax. I made the mistake of NOT being too nervous and thinking to myself, I've taken 24 credit hours in a semester before, 20 will be not so bad :laugh:. Make no mistake, vet school is gonna be more work than any schooling you've been through no matter how rigorous, but you can make it through. I had been out of school for 7 years (minus a few prereqs I had just taken) and that was a big shocker. I hadn't been working somewhere that used my knowledge at all and I was shocked at just how much I had forgotten. I could remember that I had learned things, but couldn't remember them. If you've been out of school for a while, it's still very doable and it'll come back to you, you just need to be patient with yourself and not be upset when you ask the people around you questions and they are like you didn't know that :confused:. By halfway through first semester I was back up to speed and everything was clicking. Still tons of work, but manageable.

As for making friends if you don't drink, it's really not too hard. I have a great group of friends and I don't drink, hate going to parties, haven't been to the movies while in school (who has time for that anyways), and am in bed by 10 on school nights :). Some of my friends do drink and some like parties, but you'll be amazed how many other people are like you in not drinking and being homebodies. Sure, my social time isn't as much as the partiers, but I have a good time and have made some awesome friends.

You guys will be OK, trust me. Just try and relax and enjoy your last couple months of freedom.

I feel the same exact way. You're by no means alone.

Yes, I do indeed have cold feet. To the point where, when a major family issue came up earlier this year I thought "Crap, maybe I should look into deferring" and then immediately realized that I was actually relieved that I might get to defer.

I know it's more nerves than anything. While I'm looking forward to being in a new place, meeting new people, learning new things, at the same time it is a HUGE life change and that scares me. I'm worried that I won't be able to handle it, and that I might fail out. I'm worried that I'll end up hating it and I'll be miserable. I'm worried that I'll make a lousy vet. I'm worried that I'll be drowning in debt for the rest of my life.

My mom and my aunt actually gave me a very stern talking to last night because they realized that I'm not as excited about vet school as I thought I would be. When I mentioned things like huge debt, bad job market, new grads struggling, etc my aunt said "So don't go." When I fumbled to a response to that, she said "See? Despite all that, deep down you still really want to be there. You're not going to change your mind, so why worry about it?" Then she told me that I can't fail out because I have too many people who believe in me and I can't disappoint them. Thanks. Just what I needed. More pressure.

In all honesty though, I know I wouldn't give up this opportunity for the world. But it is scary. And I do feel really guilty that I've worked so ridiculously hard for this and now that I've finally got it, I'm not happy about it. I'm sure most of that's just nerves though. The anticipation of going is what's really killing me - I think once I finally get to school and get started, I'll be fine.

If you've been out of school for a while, it's still very doable and it'll come back to you, you just need to be patient with yourself and not be upset when you ask the people around you questions and they are like you didn't know that :confused:.

Hahahaha. That's going to be me and I'm fresh out of school!

I know it's more nerves than anything. While I'm looking forward to being in a new place, meeting new people, learning new things, at the same time it is a HUGE life change and that scares me. I'm worried that I won't be able to handle it, and that I might fail out. I'm worried that I'll end up hating it and I'll be miserable. I'm worried that I'll make a lousy vet. I'm worried that I'll be drowning in debt for the rest of my life.

That was me to a tee before coming up here. I'm here if you ever want to vent or ask for advice or whatever, feel free to shoot me a PM. (Same goes for everyone on this thread, but since you're coming to AVC I figured I may more help than somewhere else :p)

The anticipation of going is what's really killing me - I think once I finally get to school and get started, I'll be fine.

Heh. I get what you're saying. Just remember: It's just vet school. Thousands - THOUSANDS - of people have done it before you and thousands will do it after you. The vast majority of them make it through fine and you're not likely to be any different. It'll be ok, future Dr. BlackDog.

My mom and my aunt actually gave me a very stern talking to last night because they realized that I'm not as excited about vet school as I thought I would be. When I mentioned things like huge debt, bad job market, new grads struggling, etc my aunt said "So don't go." When I fumbled to a response to that, she said "See? Despite all that, deep down you still really want to be there. You're not going to change your mind, so why worry about it?" Then she told me that I can't fail out because I have too many people who believe in me and I can't disappoint them. Thanks. Just what I needed. More pressure.

Dear lord, she actually said that?

Take it from someone who got through vet school, someone who came in with little clinical experience (all research) and who wasn't a classroom learner in the least:

You WILL survive. Trust me. I tell the seconds years I teach that if I can do it, you certainly can.

While we all bitch and moan about vet school, the truth of the matter is, it IS doable. You'll work hard, yes, but your life will not be totally consumed by it if you organize yourself. The fact that you made it into vet school in the first place means you have the smarts and commitment to do it. Remember: everyone else is in the same boat. You aren't some faker who got in by mistake - you are with your peers.

While we all bitch and moan about vet school, the truth of the matter is, it IS doable. You'll work hard, yes, but your life will not be totally consumed by it if you organize yourself. The fact that you made it into vet school in the first place means you have the smarts and commitment to do it. Remember: everyone else is in the same boat. You aren't some faker who got in by mistake - you are with your peers.

:thumbup: I may be tempted to print this out and hang it on the wall.

So I'm not really having cold feet but I'm worried I'm going to the second I get there. I'm a little worried about moving because it'll be my first big move, but I think once I adjust everything should be fine. I'm not really concerned about classes, I know they are going to suck more than I'm anticipating, but I know I'll get through it in the end. But overall I just feel weird about it because I don't really feel anything. I'm not super excited or nervous I'm just kind of whatever about it. Probably because I'm not really excited for school, but just am looking at it as a means to an end. I guess I'm kind if ambivalent about it at this point...

So I'm not really having cold feet but I'm worried I'm going to the second I get there. I'm a little worried about moving because it'll be my first big move, but I think once I adjust everything should be fine. I'm not really concerned about classes, I know they are going to suck more than I'm anticipating, but I know I'll get through it in the end. But overall I just feel weird about it because I don't really feel anything. I'm not super excited or nervous I'm just kind of whatever about it. Probably because I'm not really excited for school, but just am looking at it as a means to an end. I guess I'm kind if ambivalent about it at this point...
I am having those same feeling wildcat. I know we probably sound super spoiled because there are 1000s of people who would kill to be starting school with us this fall, but I really do feel kind of numb at this point. My boyfriend and my family are super excited for us to move and for me to start school, but whenever they want to start planning the move or talking about school, I will do anything to get out of the conversation. I don't want to think about all the changes that are coming up. I don't want to keep thinking that I am not good enough. I just want to relax and enjoy my summer, for the first time in a long time.

I am having a mild case of cold feet. Don't get me wrong, I still know I am going, and I want to go, but now I am having these random thoughts like 'will I be able to keep up after being out of school for so long?' and 'do I really want to see my husband 2x a month at the most, again?' and finally 'I really dread the actual move.

I know a lot of it, for me, is the move, again. Since 2005 I have moved homes 7 times, with 4 of those across state lines, and almost all of them changes of city/employment/etc. I was working in my garden yesterday and realized I won't be home for a good part of harvest. I also realized that when hubby and I thought I wasn't getting in, we we talking about starting our family, which will have to be delayed. Also, not all my pets can go with me, and the schedule will limit our ability to travel, including visiting family.

I also, now that I am faced with the options, am not sure what area of vet med I want to pursue. In an ideal world, it would be zoo med, but not sure I want to deal with limited job opportunities and relocating for the opportunities. Mixed animal in a rural setting appeals to my upbringing, my desire for independence, and the types of places I want to raise a family, satisfied my entrepreneurial spirit, but the income is somewhat restricted. I am also interested in population medicine/research, but a bit concerned about limiting myself to govt employment. My actually background pushes me towards vet behaviorist, but I don't know that anything other than a city center could support one. Anyone else struggling with the 'what I want to be' portion?

I know once I move and such, I will be fine, but right now I keep experiencing the sensation of 'I'll have to give this part of my life up' a lot right now.
God, you sound just like me! Are you in my head? :)
Yea, I have the same fears. Move again, buy a house. take care of my pets while at school, live on little money, loan repayment, uncertainty, heavy workload, the list goes on and on. But I think about the day I will be out and have my own practice anywhere I want. I don't have to be stuck in a big filthy city chained to a desk for 8 hours a day. I will do what I love where I love. Makes it all worth it, right ? At least that's my version of pep talk.:)))

Yea, I have the same fears. Move again, buy a house. take care of my pets while at school, live on little money, loan repayment, uncertainty, heavy workload, the list goes on and on. But I think about the day I will be out and have my own practice anywhere I want. I don't have to be stuck in a big filthy city chained to a desk for 8 hours a day. I will do what I love where I love. Makes it all worth it, right ? At least that's my version of pep talk.:)))

Hey, hey, some people enjoy living in those big filthy cities. ;)

For what comfort it is worth, I am pretty sure that sumstorm conquered her fears, made it through vet school, and is now out on the other side. Old thread!

There have been days that I have seriously questioned myself and if I should go to vet school... Not so much about the schoolwork but because I am terrified of the debt.

This is what gives me pause. I am confident I can handle the work of vet school. However, I do wake up in a cold sweat at night at the thought of the debt.

I have done everything to plan for it, I chose the cheapest school I got into, I'm responsible with money, but I can't help feeling like I might be making a Big Mistake.

This is what gives me pause. I am confident I can handle the work of vet school. However, I do wake up in a cold sweat at night at the thought of the debt.

I have done everything to plan for it, I chose the cheapest school I got into, I'm responsible with money, but I can't help feeling like I might be making a Big Mistake.
I know what you mean but that's the price of a professional degree. I have talked to many vets and they all say you will pay it back. Just think about this, 1000s have done it before us, 1000s will do it after us,therefore it is doable, financial or otherwise.

I know what you mean but that's the price of a professional degree. I have talked to many vets and they all say you will pay it back. Just think about this, 1000s have done it before us, 1000s will do it after us,therefore it is doable, financial or otherwise.

Except that debt load has increased and salary has not. Older vets don't really get it.

Except 1000s haven't done it before you. I mean, literally they have just because of the last couple years, but putting it the way you did sorta implies it's always been this way, which isn't true. The debt:income ratio is the worst it has EVER been with no sign of improvement. Similarly, the cost:earning ratio for the degree is the worst it's ever been. It's not even remotely similar to what it was like for the people who have been practicing for a decade. And, the cost is set to continue climbing, so the problem is only going to get worse unless some pretty serious changes are made.

Except 1000s haven't done it before you. I mean, literally they have just because of the last couple years, but putting it the way you did sorta implies it's always been this way, which isn't true. The debt:income ratio is the worst it has EVER been with no sign of improvement. Similarly, the cost:earning ratio for the degree is the worst it's ever been. It's not even remotely similar to what it was like for the people who have been practicing for a decade. And, the cost is set to continue climbing, so the problem is only going to get worse unless some pretty serious changes are made.

Also our student loan interet rates are higher, too