Anyone else interested in naturopathic/homeopathic "medicine"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
If I wanted to learn homeopathy I would have gone to hogwarts

bluemangroup_01.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I never got my letter...

Your owl probably got sucked into a plane engine.

Sorry, bro. You only get one.

You should probably just drink some tap water. At least one person must have dissolved an acceptance letter in the water supply at some point. At that kind of dilution, you should end up being Asclepius God of Medicine by the second or third sip.

Members don't see this ad :)
top comment :rofl:

"did you hear about the homeopathist who died of an overdose of his own medicine? He forgot to take it"

My preceptor suggested homeopathy to a patient, and then told me outside of the exam room that "our modern medicine has only existed for 30 years. Homeopathy has been proven for millennia."

27xl7hg.gif

My preceptor suggested homeopathy to a patient, and then told me outside of the exam room that "our modern medicine has only existed for 30 years. Homeopathy has been proven for millennia."

27xl7hg.gif
you should report that to your coordinator, how is that sht acceptable?

you should report that to your coordinator, how is that sht acceptable?

I haven't got a clue how someone holds that belief. Maybe, I can rationalize it that the doctor is an FMG and has been in practice for nearly half a century, but I can't get my head around it. Or that people don't know what they're saying when they say homeopathy. I wanted to say something to one of the course coordinators, but then during a lecture she said something along the lines of some homeopathic remedies are good, when were we discussing cultural differences and health care beliefs, so I felt my complaints would fall on deaf ears.

How long have we been doing modern neurosurgical techniques? Trepanation to release demons from the skull has a far longer and nobler history. To hell with this modern "knowledge" and sterile technique. Get me a crank-operated drill, some sacramental wine for me (don't be scanty with it!), and Last Rites for the patient just in case.

Since congress is revamping healthcare anyways we should include a law that makes it ok to slap someone for supporting a system simply because it is old. There is precisely no logic behind this argument. Literally none.

1. Find thing
2. Assess things age
3. ?????????
4. Profit!

Aside from that, the argument DIRECTLY opposes forward progress of any kind. I think this is slap worthy
(crosses fingers... Hopes to be challenged by homeopath nut)

Since congress is revamping healthcare anyways we should include a law that makes it ok to slap someone for supporting a system simply because it is old. There is precisely no logic behind this argument. Literally none.

1. Find thing
2. Assess things age
3. ?????????
4. Profit!

A good idea for a law, since a slap should theoretically have curative power. It is basically just a dilute murder, and may therefore have the power to raise the dead.

As long as your hand is wet.

Water has memory!

A good idea for a law, since a slap should theoretically have curative power. It is basically just a dilute murder, and may therefore have the power to raise the dead.

As long as your hand is wet.

Water has memory!

#winning

Despite the fact that the standard concentration of most of these "medicines" are so low that many of the pills do not contain a single molecule of the original substance, it's just straight up placebo. I thought it was illegal to sell placebos?

It's not placebo because water has memory. :rolleyes:

I haven't got a clue how someone holds that belief. Maybe, I can rationalize it that the doctor is an FMG and has been in practice for nearly half a century, but I can't get my head around it. Or that people don't know what they're saying when they say homeopathy. I wanted to say something to one of the course coordinators, but then during a lecture she said something along the lines of some homeopathic remedies are good, when were we discussing cultural differences and health care beliefs, so I felt my complaints would fall on deaf ears.

Tell us which medical school you go to, so that we may avoid it.

Down with science!! Down with science!!

I feel really bad for that guy. Seems like him and his girlfriend are really nice people (if not alittle odd), and other people are giving him a really hard time because he is blue. I wish you luck my blue friend!

Tell us which medical school you go to, so that we may avoid it.

If you've known me on this forum you know where I go. However, don't extrapolate my post about a preceptor (which is of variable quality due to the nature of physicians in the community volunteering to be preceptors) or a community medicine hippie to condemn the rest of my school. Things could be better (can't they everywhere) but the quality of work and what we've been taught has impressed me and so far has exceeded whatever "rank" my school might be, compared to experiences I've heard from close friends at other more marquee schools.

You may have been joking, but regardless felt this should be said for whomever may be reading this thread, and future applicants.

If you believe in homeopathy it may do some good to get that treatment in similar fashion if you belive in god it would help you to go to church, mosque or a temple. Many a times such beliefs in irrational things could be harmful as well. Homeopathy is no different than Chrstian Science when it comes to the test of rational basis for treatment. People such as Bill Clinton and Queen Elizabeth generally take regular treatment as well; so such people are not poster person for homeopathy.

Just a peace of mind they get may lead to sound sleep and have good for the body health.

If you've known me on this forum you know where I go. However, don't extrapolate my post about a preceptor (which is of variable quality due to the nature of physicians in the community volunteering to be preceptors) or a community medicine hippie to condemn the rest of my school. Things could be better (can't they everywhere) but the quality of work and what we've been taught has impressed me and so far has exceeded whatever "rank" my school might be, compared to experiences I've heard from close friends at other more marquee schools.

You may have been joking, but regardless felt this should be said for whomever may be reading this thread, and future applicants.

I'm not concerned with rank. That much is clear.

If you believe in homeopathy it may do some good to get that treatment in similar fashion if you belive in god it would help you to go to church, mosque or a temple. Many a times such beliefs in irrational things could be harmful as well. Homeopathy is no different than Chrstian Science when it comes to the test of rational basis for treatment. People such as Bill Clinton and Queen Elizabeth generally take regular treatment as well; so such people are not poster person for homeopathy.

Just a peace of mind they get may lead to sound sleep and have good for the body health.
While what you say may be true, what the physician did by recommending homeopathy to the patient would be akin to him saying "you know, the Catholic church has been around for thousands of years. You should go there, and give a large amount of your money to them (which you may or may not be able to afford) and pray for healing. After all, people have been relying on prayer and tithing to cure diseases for millennia longer than we have had antibiotics or vaccines..."

A doctor who actually recommends homeopathic therapies is promoting a very expensive fraud. It is one thing to avoid driving away a patient by not condemning homeopathy if the patient already uses it (while asking to be kept informed of any recommended therapy, noting that there is no scientific evidence to support it, etc.), but a whole other story if the doctor is actually promoting it.

While what you say may be true, what the physician did by recommending homeopathy to the patient would be akin to him saying "you know, the Catholic church has been around for thousands of years. You should go there, and give a large amount of your money to them (which you may or may not be able to afford) and pray for healing. After all, people have been relying on prayer and tithing to cure diseases for millennia longer than we have had antibiotics or vaccines..."

A doctor who actually recommends homeopathic therapies is promoting a very expensive fraud. It is one thing to avoid driving away a patient by not condemning homeopathy if the patient already uses it (while asking to be kept informed of any recommended therapy, noting that there is no scientific evidence to support it, etc.), but a whole other story if the doctor is actually promoting it.

I personally neither reccomend homeopathy or religion. I, however, will not ask them not to follow their homeopahy treatment or ask religious people not to follow their beliefs. I wouldn't expect or reccomend regular doctor to administer homeopathic treatment, and they should be free to warn the patients that scientific studies have found that those treatments have no scientific basis . Homeopathic treatment needs to be done by some one who himself believes in homeopathy just as priest need to believe in god/religion to give any satisfactory relief to people who do believe in god/religion, and decisions should lie with individuals. What do you do about minors is a quandry, however.

One may say that religion and homeopathy don't have scinetific basis. On other hand behavioral science is also science though it is complex, and irrational behavior need to be explained through rational basis of behavioral science. On other hand, as Godel's theorem would imply, we cannot rationally come to all the truths from finite set of assumptions/axioms.

In essense"Irrational" phenomenon such as religion/homeopathy are consequences of rational laws of nature.

I'm not concerned with rank. That much is clear.

Regardless, now we're just nit picking words.

Still, the point of the matter is that you want to judge a school based on an anecdote about one out of a couple hundred preceptors, and the preceptor I spoke about is affiliated with several schools, so let's just condemn every school said preceptor is affiliated with then.

The story was for amusement, and to demonstrate how pervasive beliefs in CAM are in our society including those in health care. Harvard has an elective in CAM - would you tell people to avoid Harvard?

Regardless, now we're just nit picking words.

Still, the point of the matter is that you want to judge a school based on an anecdote about one out of a couple hundred preceptors, and the preceptor I spoke about is affiliated with several schools, so let's just condemn every school said preceptor is affiliated with then.

The story was for amusement, and to demonstrate how pervasive beliefs in CAM are in our society including those in health care. Harvard has an elective in CAM - would you tell people to avoid Harvard?

Since you're talking about electives, which by definition are not required, then that is a completely different story. At least then the student has a choice whether or not they want to learn about it. On the other hand, if this was during a required rotation, I'd have my doubts.

I would say nice try troll but it just wouldn't be the truth.

not sure about alternative medicine, but my doctor practices acupuncture in his medical office for sutter hospital.

I'm not really a frequent enough SDN user to know this. Is Rothbard a known troll or is he actually someone who rejects knowledge because it conflicts with his entrenched system of sorcery? It strikes me as trolling but, you know. Poe.

rothbard are you quitting medical school because they are making your brain learn

Anyone want to practice allopathic medicine? Look at the millions of people killed and maimed by medications each year. One picture of a blue dude doesn't prove much.

Outside of the management of acute conditions, allopathy is a joke. This is well understood by anyone who gives the subject a bit of thought.

Statins? LMAO. If someone prescribes statins for any but the most extreme cases, my respect for them is immediately lost.

Cancer chemotherapy? Maybe it will add a few months to your life. Chances are it will shorten your life, and it will certainly trash the quality of whatever life you have left.

DM, HTN, cancer, autoimmunity? To a significant extent a result of exposure to toxins, toxins ignored by most doctors. Vaccines? Don't get me started.

Modern allopathy is predicated on poor statistics, deception, and shortsightedness.

IAMA practicing homeopath currently in medical school. AMA.

I advise you to drop out of medical school. Just stop now.

Ultimate homeopathic pre-med gunner: My copy of First Aid is trashed now, but that's ok...I poured water over it and drank the water. Step 1 is mine. pwned.