anyone else's family not supportive of decision to go into psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if we're the black sheep of doctors, why are we doing this? Why not go into neurology, critical care, or pediatrics?
I was talking to a neurologist about careers and he explained it like this " Psychiatry is too wishy-washy for neurologists, and neurology is too much hard science for psychiatrists."
So there you go, we don't go into neurology because we don't like science.

Members don't see this ad.

I was talking to a neurologist about careers and he explained it like this " Psychiatry is too wishy-washy for neurologists, and neurology is too much hard science for psychiatrists."

I disagree. I went into psychiatry because I love neuroscience, and because there is so much more scope for brain research with psychiatry than with neurology.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought I was interested in neurology until I realized that as soon as things got interesting both clinically and in neuroscience terms, we had passed into the realm of psychiatry. To me it's baffling that the flagship profession working to understand and treat disorders of the most complex system in the known universe could possibly be disrespected. There's much work to be done to reduce stigma against both patients and providers so that we can move forward and get people the help they need.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

That's like totally buying neurologists' own biases. From our perspective, psych is too subtle and intricate for neurologists. You don't get to elicit signs and symptoms with pinprick sensation. That's really the reason I chose psych over any other specialty; it's about the "sixth sense" and how you capture and understand feelings and dispositions, many of them can be hidden behind layers and layers of appearances.

And I definitely agree research wise, psych has far more complex neuroscience and that's the "problem".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I thought I was interested in neurology until I realized that as soon as things got interesting both clinically and in neuroscience terms, we had passed into the realm of psychiatry. To me it's baffling that the flagship profession working to understand and treat disorders of the most complex system in the known universe could possibly be disrespected. There's much work to be done to reduce stigma against both patients and providers so that we can move forward and get people the help they need.

Beautifully put.

Our own profession being such a source of flanking enmity has also never stopped surprising me. I mean, has anyone told their relatives in health care professions they were going into psychiatry and gotten a positive response?

Last edited:
I don't think that is true, I just thought it was funny. He was doubly disparaging to psych without even trying.
I love "hard science."

I don't think that is true, I just thought it was funny. He was doubly disparaging to psych without even trying.
I love "hard science."

I think neurology is awesome. But there is some element of being a fancy electrician to it. Behavior is much more fascinating to me that locating a lesion based on faulty downstream deficits.

I mean, has anyone told their relatives in health care professions they were going into psychiatry and gotten a positive response?

Yeah but my parents are psychologists and they've always wanted me to go into psych

Yeah but my parents are psychologists and they've always wanted me to go into psych

Yeah that seems to be one of the exceptions--people in field. Makes sense, I think those of us who go into it have already passed what would be the worst for others--their poor opinion and conception of it.

A neurologist once told me that neurologists don’t treat diseases, they “admire” them.

Reactions: 7 users
A neurologist once told me that neurologists don’t treat diseases, they “admire” them.

Right, but I asked this exact question at a Neurology panel, and the attending got very defensive. He didn't directly answer the question, but he pointed out that many specialties besides Neurology also never truly cure a patient, and that even surgery "isn't a one-and-done deal."

Beautifully put.

Our own profession being such a source of flanking enmity has also never stopped surprising me. I mean, has anyone told their relatives in health care professions they were going into psychiatry and gotten a positive response?

Not at all. I'm concerned my father may disinherit me if I choose Psychiatry. But forget about Indians, I actually told one of my friends (an engineer) that I thought Psych was cool, and he said "why would you go to medical school just to do Psychiatry?"

To be honest, I'm not set on Psych. But I'm about to start MS-2, and Psych is the ONLY class I actually enjoyed this year. Honestly, so far I think everything in medicine is stupid, and Psych is just the least stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, but I asked this exact question at a Neurology panel, and the attending got very defensive. He didn't directly answer the question, but he pointed out that many specialties besides Neurology also never truly cure a patient, and that even surgery "isn't a one-and-done deal."

Not at all. I'm concerned my father may disinherit me if I choose Psychiatry. But forget about Indians, I actually told one of my friends (an engineer) that I thought Psych was cool, and he said "why would you go to medical school just to do Psychiatry?"

To be honest, I'm not set on Psych. But I'm about to start MS-2, and Psych is the ONLY class I actually enjoyed this year. Honestly, so far I think everything in medicine is stupid, and Psych is just the least stupid.

Do you really care if your parents disown you? If they are willing to disown you over something like that, they sound like crap parents

Do you really care if your parents disown you? If they are willing to disown you over something like that, they sound like crap parents

While for my own self I agree. It seems to me some, by nature, are not meant for it. I think it's best those not willing to take that step not begin down this road at all.

Arkanheloid. Give it some time, I hated 1st year of medical school as well. Keep as many options as you can. And don't let 1st year curricula confine you to one or the other just yet.

Reactions: 1 user

If I were American, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, we do things differently in India, and my parents have a stake in my decision between specialties. Should I prefer Psych, I will endeavor to persuade them that it is the only field that seems right for me.

While for my own self I agree. It seems to me some, by nature, are not meant for it. I think it's best those not willing to take that step not begin down this road at all.

Arkanheloid. Give it some time, I hated 1st year of medical school as well. Keep as many options as you can. And don't let 1st year curricula confine you to one or the other just yet.

Yeah, I hope it gets better. I guess it can't get any worse.

Yes. My family was actually very supportive. They thought that psychiatry fit my personality very well... possibly because my previous preference was for pathology (mostly because I didn't like anything else and I hadn't done a psych rotation yet), and they didn't think that I'd be well-suited for spending all of my time in a lab.

There's a lot of mention of ethnic trends here, and I understand that we're referring to averages rather than making all-encompassing statements, but I have to mention that I was largely an exception to this trend. I'm from Pakistan... most of my family members (including the ones who are still in Pakistan, including the subset of those who are doctors) were very happy with my decision to go into psychiatry because they know that it fits me well. The rest of them (the ones who don't know me as well) were cautiously supportive based on their knowledge of my ability to make this decision because of their respect for the fact that I generally know what I'm doing. The stigma on psychiatry is way bigger in Pakistan than it is here, but most of my relatives know better than to think that their cultural stigmas would apply to the same extent in a different country.

And the friends who said things like "you're too smart to be a psychiatrist" were 100% American/Australian.

If I were American, I would wholeheartedly agree with you. Unfortunately, we do things differently in India, and my parents have a stake in my decision between specialties. Should I prefer Psych, I will endeavor to persuade them that it is the only field that seems right for me.
I agree here too. Although I was lucky enough to have a supportive family, if they had threatened to disown me if I'd chosen to be a psychiatrist, I probably wouldn't have gone into psychiatry. Although I love psychiatry, I love my family more... even if they were to say something silly and nonsensical like this.

As an M3 who entered medical school with the intention of becoming a psychiatrist and has never really wavered (despite enjoying many other specialties), I'm trying to figure out why I've never encountered these negative reactions. My declaration of intent has always been met by residents and attendings with positive and seemingly sincere answers that are frequently a variation of "That's great. We need good psychiatrists." Granted, that suggests that there are many bad psychiatrists, as has been discussed at length in this thread, but the physicians I interact with seem to really value the work psychiatrists do when it's done well. Other than some internist in-laws trying half-jokingly to convert me, I really haven't encountered much resistance. Who knows though, maybe it's just midwestern politeness.

I would definitely care if my parents disown me. That would really, really hurt. I mean yeah that would make them crap parents, but it would be emotionally traumatizing that the two people who are supposed to love me no matter what could easily abandon me just for picking a certain career path. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can say "eh whatever, I don't need my parents, F what they think" but I'm not one of them. In my culture (and many others), family is everything. I think its hard to pick career (or anything else) over family. I mean after this many years of schooling and all that effort, I'd probably pick psychiatry but it wouldn't be a very fulfilling life without the support and love of my family. Which is why I think it's great we are having a discussion on how we can change the perception of psychiatry and help our families better understand why psychiatry can be a great choice for someone. :)

I doubt most people's parents would actually disown someone for picking psychiatry, they would just be super unhappy about it and spend all their energy trying to get their kid to change their mind. Arkhangeloid, if you do decide on psych, just give your parents a lot of time :)

I would definitely care if my parents disown me. That would really, really hurt. I mean yeah that would make them crap parents, but it would be emotionally traumatizing that the two people who are supposed to love me no matter what could easily abandon me just for picking a certain career path. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can say "eh whatever, I don't need my parents, F what they think" but I'm not one of them. In my culture (and many others), family is everything. I think its hard to pick career (or anything else) over family. I mean after this many years of schooling and all that effort, I'd probably pick psychiatry but it wouldn't be a very fulfilling life without the support and love of my family. Which is why I think it's great we are having a discussion on how we can change the perception of psychiatry and help our families better understand why psychiatry can be a great choice for someone. :)

I doubt most people's parents would actually disown someone for picking psychiatry, they would just be super unhappy about it and spend all their energy trying to get their kid to change their mind. Arkhangeloid, if you do decide on psych, just give your parents a lot of time :)

Hey, while you're here and while we're on the subject, you're also Indian...are you also getting an arranged marriage? I'm kind of worried that going into Psych will mean no woman wants to enter into a marriage with me, because of the stigma Psych has. Have your parents discussed this with you?

And the friends who said things like "you're too smart to be a psychiatrist" were 100% American/Australian.

Hah, nobody has told me that. Maybe because I'm at the bottom of the class.

I agree here too. Although I was lucky enough to have a supportive family, if they had threatened to disown me if I'd chosen to be a psychiatrist, I probably wouldn't have gone into psychiatry. Although I love psychiatry, I love my family more... even if they were to say something silly and nonsensical like this.

I mean, being disowned is bad but what makes it worse is that it goes along with being disinherited...man, that would suck. You lose a lot of money that way.

Seriously disowning is a bit old school. Like...you are banished to wander nameless in the heathen hinterlands...or something.

I guess I have a different perspective because I've kinda been down that road and said f it. I'm not trying to be callous and my relationship with my parents has improved but I ended up staying with other family members quite a bit during high school because of the tension/my parents didn't want me there.

^I'm sorry to hear that, touchpause. Glad things are improving with your parents. I know not all families are perfect sometimes you DO have to cut ties in order to make things better for yourself. Guess you just have to evaluate what's important to you and whether or not having your family around is the right thing for you.

Hey, while you're here and while we're on the subject, you're also Indian...are you also getting an arranged marriage? I'm kind of worried that going into Psych will mean no woman wants to enter into a marriage with me, because of the stigma Psych has. Have your parents discussed this with you?

I know you weren't talking to me, and I'm not Indian, but Pakistani is probably close enough when you're referring to the arranged marriage market. My opinion on the marriage thing is that I'll explore both routes and settle on whichever one turns out to work for me. My family has been playing the arranged marriage market for me for a while, and my specialty choice has not been brought up once. If anything, I think that psychiatry might actually be preferable in the arranged marriage market, since it's a relatively family-friendly field with good income potential.

As an M3 who entered medical school with the intention of becoming a psychiatrist and has never really wavered (despite enjoying many other specialties), I'm trying to figure out why I've never encountered these negative reactions. My declaration of intent has always been met by residents and attendings with positive and seemingly sincere answers that are frequently a variation of "That's great. We need good psychiatrists." Granted, that suggests that there are many bad psychiatrists, as has been discussed at length in this thread, but the physicians I interact with seem to really value the work psychiatrists do when it's done well. Other than some internist in-laws trying half-jokingly to convert me, I really haven't encountered much resistance. Who knows though, maybe it's just midwestern politeness.
Having rotated at several different hospitals associated with several different academic programs (I did a lot of away electives and the like), I think that this is largely institution-dependent. Psychiatry is more well-respected at some institutions than others. At my current institution, psych has a reputation for being very neuroscience-oriented (since our department does a lot of basic science research... we're second only to IM in total research dollars secured by any one department at the institution, despite being at a very research-heavy school and having fewer faculty members than many other departments). There are some institutions where psych has developed a very different reputation for a variety of reasons.
GI is probably the specialty that evokes the most negative reactions here. Either that or PM&R, but PM&R isn't big enough for most people to have a strong opinion about them.

I am from a similar ethnic background as you, but I've always had a bit of a rebellious streak in my family (though the rest of the world would consider me a goody-goody). Although I care about my parents' opinion deeply, I'd still choose to do my own thing. It's because I know that my parents love me no matter what, and even if they are upset with me, they will eventually come around as they can't handle not having a relationship with me. I've previously chosen a degree they didn't find useful; I've previously chosen a partner they didn't want me to be with.. etc. It was hard going against them, but I did. Yes, they were hugely upset and made incredible drama and stink about it for months, and tried to manipulate me in all ways to get me to change my mind... it was highly dysfunctional. But I stuck my ground as I refuse to be controlled like that, and they eventually accepted my choices. Unfortunately the choices I made weren't the right ones for me (as both the prior degree path and the partner didn't work out), and I accept that they were right all along - as they knew better for me than I knew for myself. Nonetheless, I don't have regret for choosing what I did. It's better to stand your ground and go down a wrong path (presuming you really believe you are on the right path at the time), rather than just be a puppet to your parents and let them live your life for you. Although I wish I had more insight into myself to have chosen more appropriate paths, I don't regret living my life on my own terms at all, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It doesn't mean I don't love my parents, but I can't live someone else's life... I need to live mine.

(My comment is not directed to you, Shan, I'm just writing in general to anyone of our background.)

Last edited:
All cultures look at differences with astonishment and a degree of disapproval, but I have to say, I would be terrified to have to pick a spouse for a child. I can see how this might be nice for the child, take some of the pressure off, no worries about parental approval, but it sounds like a real mine field for the parents. Anything that isn’t perfect in the marriage would be their fault. I think I will steer clear of that one. I would rather watch them make a mistake and be unhappy than make a mistake for them and see them unhappy. I guess either system could work out well, but I have no confidence that I would know better, and I’m sure my children don’t think I know better. Isn’t Western culture grand?

That's not how arranged marriage usually works, but that's a very different topic...

All cultures look at differences with astonishment and a degree of disapproval, but I have to say, I would be terrified to have to pick a spouse for a child. I can see how this might be nice for the child, take some of the pressure off, no worries about parental approval, but it sounds like a real mine field for the parents. Anything that isn’t perfect in the marriage would be their fault. I think I will steer clear of that one. I would rather watch them make a mistake and be unhappy than make a mistake for them and see them unhappy. I guess either system could work out well, but I have no confidence that I would know better, and I’m sure my children don’t think I know better. Isn’t Western culture grand?

That's not really how it works, but yeah, that's a topic for another thread.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't mean it the wrong way, and my culture teaches me to show nothing but aught respect for superiors like you. But I thought that most physicians would be comfortable with the idea of arranged marriages, given that many foreign physicians in the USA come from cultures that practice them.

I am from a similar ethnic background as you, but I've always had a bit of a rebellious streak in my family (though the rest of the world would consider me a goody-goody). Although I care about my parents' opinion deeply, I'd still choose to do my own thing. It's because I know that my parents love me no matter what, and even if they are upset with me, they will eventually come around as they can't handle not having a relationship with me. I've previously chosen a degree they didn't find useful; I've previously chosen a partner they didn't want me to be with.. etc. It was hard going against them, but I did. Yes, they were hugely upset and made incredible drama and stink about it for months, and tried to manipulate me in all ways to get me to change my mind... it was highly dysfunctional. But I stuck my ground as I refuse to be controlled like that, and they eventually accepted my choices. Unfortunately the choices I made weren't the right ones for me (as both the prior degree path and the partner didn't work out), and I accept that they were right all along - as they knew better for me than I knew for myself. Nonetheless, I don't have regret for choosing what I did. It's better to stand your ground and go down a wrong path (presuming you really believe you are on the right path at the time), rather than just be a puppet to your parents and let them live your life for you. Although I wish I had more insight into myself to have chosen more appropriate paths, I don't regret living my life on my own terms at all, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It doesn't mean I don't love my parents, but I can't live someone else's life... I need to live mine.

(My comment is not directed to you, Shan, I'm just writing in general to anyone of our background.)

Eh, I don't see my parents as "puppeteers," I see them as well-intentioned people who have my best interests at heart, but sometimes fail to execute properly on those intentions. I completely believe that we can choose a partner together for a happy arranged marriage.

As for specialties, I'm not sure if I'm prepared to fight them on that point.

That's not really how it works, but yeah, that's a topic for another thread.

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't mean it the wrong way, and my culture teaches me to show nothing but aught respect for superiors like you. But I thought that most physicians would be comfortable with the idea of arranged marriages, given that many foreign physicians in the USA come from cultures that practice them.

Arranged marriages really go against American ideals...

Arranged marriages really go against American ideals...

As "love marriages" (as they are called in India) go against ours.

I mean, nobody's asking you to get one yourself. But I figure that you might as well understand and respect the institution, because you chose to enter a field full of people who practice it. :) Hell, I was talking to a Chinese MD/PhD student the other day, and the topic of our impending arranged marriages came up haha.

As "love marriages" (as they are called in India) go against ours.

I mean, nobody's asking you to get one yourself. But I figure that you might as well understand and respect the institution, because you chose to enter a field full of people who practice it. :) Hell, I was talking to a Chinese MD/PhD student the other day, and the topic of our impending arranged marriages came up haha.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. Just explaining why most Americans (myself included) don't really get the concept. It's literally foreign to us. I mean it's your life, obviously, I'm not trying to change your mind or anything - just trying to provide some context.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. Just explaining why most Americans (myself included) don't really get the concept. It's literally foreign to us. I mean it's your life, obviously, I'm not trying to change your mind or anything - just trying to provide some context.

I wasn't accusing you of any such thing lol.

I guess I'll provide some context, not because of you in particular, but because when I tell some people I'm getting an arranged marriage, East Asians and South Asians understand, but some Americans actually get angry at me about it. In any case, the way modern arranged marriages work (for educated, westernized Indians, at least) is that the parents and child choose prospective partners together, the children "date" for some time to ensure compatibility, and then they get married. That's what's going to happen for me.

Now, in other circles (and in the past), that was when the parents arrange everything and you don't see your partner until your wedding. It's not for me. But from what I understand, many people prefer it, and their marriages turn out just fine.

In any case, back to the topic at hand. In arranged marriage, choosing partners occurs via a different set of metrics than in a "love marriage." To that point, being a physician raises your attractiveness a LOT (moreso for a man, but also for a woman). My concern was that being a Psychiatrist may nullify that gain in attractiveness.

The thing that makes me and probably others quesy is the thought of never having dating anyone besides your spouse. And parents having that much influence. .. not everyone has fantastic relationships with their parents

The thing that makes me and probably others quesy is the thought of never having dating anyone besides your spouse. And parents having that much influence. .. not everyone has fantastic relationships with their parents

I'll continue this over PM, as it doesn't have much to do with Psychiatry anymore.

One of my parents in particular was pleased with my interest in psych... however, like the trend seems to be above -- they work in the mental health sector themselves.

A lot of neurology/neuroscience was cool to study, but I don't think I would enjoy doing it every day (or working exclusively with patients suffering from those ailments).

Those neuro conditions are nasty, nasty sob's.

Neuro is kind of annoying, tbh. I had some interest in it until I actually went through Neurology in medical school, it seems like a lot of "patient presents with xyz, WHERE DA LESION," and from what I understand, you can't do much about a lot of the diseases, and the hours and pay are kinda sucky.

i don't understand how the concept is difficult to understand.

it is like a mother getting together with her friends at the country club and playing matchmaker. it is the same with Indians. they reach out to their friends to find prospective mates. then they meet up and decide if both of them are okay with it.

don't tell me white people don't try to arrange marriages. i'll be with a buddy at a charity dinner or something when his mother/aunt will be introduced to me. she will find out my world views and income potential and then offer to introduce me to some nice white girl.

i don't understand how the concept is difficult to understand.

it is like a mother getting together with her friends at the country club and playing matchmaker. it is the same with Indians. they reach out to their friends to find prospective mates. then they meet up and decide if both of them are okay with it.

don't tell me white people don't try to arrange marriages. i'll be with a buddy at a charity dinner or something when his mother/aunt will be introduced to me. she will find out my world views and income potential and then offer to introduce me to some nice white girl.

Agreed. I was a little confused on arranged marriages, but I worked with an Indian father and he spent many months giving us updates on the progress. The Indians in his social circles and family friends would all exchange information about single children, and then the kids and parents would look at them together. They both had veto power. When I came to medical school, he asked me if there were any available Indian women. And he actually met his wife in university, so he isn't against his son getting involved with someone he met as well. To be honest, it isn't for me, but it isn't the archaic system most think it is. It's very much like networking to find compatible people within social circles.

My family were all really excited when I showed interest in psych. My dad has always been a psychology-nut. My sister has manic-depression that has been successfully treated. My mom had a father with borderline personality disorder who was untreated and very difficult to live with. Everyone around me understands and appreciates the importance of mental health. It's probably another reason why I think it's so interesting and important.

My family were all really excited when I showed interest in psych. My dad has always been a psychology-nut. My sister has manic-depression that has been successfully treated. My mom had a father with borderline personality disorder who was untreated and very difficult to live with. Everyone around me understands and appreciates the importance of mental health. It's probably another reason why I think it's so interesting and important.

Right, I think most people who aren't supportive of it are people who just don't get it. The closest they've been to mental illness is the "crazy bum" down the street who they try not to make eye contact with. Unless you've dealt with mentally ill patients/family/friends, it's all just an abstraction that some people cannot conceive of because it's not a tangible pathology like a giant tumor growing on a forehead. It's complex, not easily visualized, not easily understood. I think all it would take would be for any unsupportive person to see how utterly devastating mental illness is--really, more devastating than a large proportion of somatic illnesses. And I think much of their rationale for why they're unsupportive is based just on this fact. I have a feeling that they wouldn't be whining that "all you do is prescribe drugs" if you were in ID, or that "you're too far removed from [general] medicine" if you were in dermatology.

Curious if many of the people dealing with a lack of support from their families also have families who pressured them quite a bit into going into medicine. I would think maybe those same folks would have a preconceived (and misguided) notion of what medicine is.

Regardless, glad the OP is doing what makes them happy...and I guess has been for a couple of years now :)

Do whatever the heck you want to do for the rest of your life. Ignore your parents. Done and done.

Most patients who present to neurologists have complaints that are ultimately due to psychiatric issues, i.e. somatization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think much of what the OP's parents stated is true.....that said, it's the OPs life, not his parents. His parents are clearly upset that the OP is not going to do a medical or surgical specialty but instead going the route of mental health. But if the OP isn't upset about that, well.....?

My only concern would be that the OP may be projecting here, and that these are actually his concerns and not his parents concerns. If that's the case, then it's a different story.

I think much of what the OP's parents stated is true.....that said, it's the OPs life, not his parents. His parents are clearly upset that the OP is not going to do a medical or surgical specialty but instead going the route of mental health. But if the OP isn't upset about that, well.....?

My only concern would be that the OP may be projecting here, and that these are actually his concerns and not his parents concerns. If that's the case, then it's a different story.
You must not have read the entire thread. The OP's parents' concerns have been resolved and they are now on board.

That said, this seems to be a common phenomenon in South Asian families. I have an Indian friend who was born and raised in the US, but is still big on this idea. He's very philosophically vested in the idea that the family works together as a cohesive whole, even after the offspring have become full-fledged adults. He actually gets a little offended when I drop a gentle reference to the idea that it's his life, not his parents'--it's like he feels I'm insulting his parents. Seems strange to me, but I guess if you were raised that way it wouldn't seem strange.

That said, this seems to be a common phenomenon in South Asian families. I have an Indian friend who was born and raised in the US, but is still big on this idea. He's very philosophically vested in the idea that the family works together as a cohesive whole, even after the offspring have become full-fledged adults. He actually gets a little offended when I drop a gentle reference to the idea that it's his life, not his parents'--it's like he feels I'm insulting his parents. Seems strange to me, but I guess if you were raised that way it wouldn't seem strange.
+1. It's largely a cultural thing, but the idea that you should "forget your family and do what you want" doesn't jibe with a person who WANTS to make their family happy. If my family was vehemently opposed to psych, I probably would have been happier as an ED doctor who has a good relationship with his family. As in other areas of life, you have to weigh the pros and cons of every option. If I like another specialty slightly less than psychiatry but it doesn't have the blaring con of compromising a relationship that's important to me, then I'd be happy to pick my second-favorite specialty.

I understand the perspective that family will eventually come around, and that's a reasonable point. And it sounds like that's what worked out for the OP, so everybody wins. If somebody's objections are based on misconceptions, then the solution is to address the misconceptions rather than to simply buckle, as I said when this thread first started. But if you're unable to achieve that, then you just have to make a decision based on the pros and cons.

How do your parents have a "stake" in the specialty you choose? Once again, are you "perceiving" that your father would disinherit you over a specialty decision? The match is something out of your control and you nor your father get to decide how it works. It is you and only you that will have this career and will be going to this job for the rest of your life.

You must not have read the entire thread. The OP's parents' concerns have been resolved and they are now on board. That said, this seems to be a common phenomenon in South Asian families. I have an Indian friend who was born and raised in the US, but is still big on this idea. He's very philosophically vested in the idea that the family works together as a cohesive whole, even after the offspring have become full-fledged adults. He actually gets a little offended when I drop a gentle reference to the idea that it's his life, not his parents'--it's like he feels I'm insulting his parents. Seems strange to me, but I guess if you were raised that way it wouldn't seem strange.
The same ones who believe that true career success is achieved through GPAs and standardized test scores at the expense of what are considered more "soft" factors. No career works like that, not even medicine.

Last edited:
I loved neurosci in college and if I had discovered psych back then I probably would have strongly considered med school a lot sooner. I figured since I liked neuroscience I'd like neurology, but I absolutely hated the adult neuro shadowing I did. So tedious and depressing. I realized Psych is much more in tune with the "brain science" I find interesting.

I went into psychiatry because I loved psychology as an undergrad. The more I studied psychology, the more I wanted to pursue a mental health field with a heavy physiological background because I was turned on by something that has a more physical evidenced based foundation.

A reason why I pursued forensic psychiatry is because I find it frustrating that people are so often dx'd and tx'd based on very little critical thought and analysis and lack of use of evidenced-based medicine not just by psychiatrists but by doctors in general.

My parents didn't want me to go into psychiatry but it wasn't a big deal for them, and yes they are the over-bearing stereotype parents Asian parents that tried to brainwash me into going into medicine since I was born. Several factors made it like that. They knew I went into medical school just to be a psychiatrist. I almost became a graphic artist or film director. I think in the end they were just happy I went into a medical field. My sister did end up becoming a film director and my younger brother an artist now working for Disney. They also knew they couldn't control me.

Up until my first year of college I was determined to be a comic book artist. I used to illustrate and paint about 5 hours a day on days I didn't have school. I didn't go to art school because I found the idea of going into a trade school at age 18 too mentally confining. I still wanted a broad education. I took my first psychology class, loved it, and pursued it more and more. Sophomore year I had to decide one or the other-psychiatry or art. No you really can't do both. Premed had too many labs where you got 1 credit hour for what was really about 4 while art was similar-1 credit hour for what was several hours in an art studio.

Last edited: