anyone else's family not supportive of decision to go into psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
... Sophomore year I had to decide one or the other-psychiatry or art...

There is much art in psychiatry :smuggrin:

Speaking of which. Anytime you have art involved, you get too many bad artists who think they have talent but really don't. Gosh, most modern and post-modern art is talentless. Likewise, you gotta have talent for psychiatry to practice it well. That's what you find out in your 3rd year rotation. Am I a Salvador Dali :zip:or a guy splashing paint on a canvas?:boom: (Sorry, I couldn't resist the animations after being on call all night)

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed there is an audience that thinks that art done by psychiatrists are somehow mystical. I've not found this to be the case with the art I've seen in the green journal or other sources. But to that end, I need to come up with some scheme with me doing a black dot on a white canvass and charging millions of $$$ for it and saying that this is the true understanding of schizophrenia.

And once that novelty ends, and the prices go down, I need to come up with a purple dot on a black canvass and say this is the true essence of bipolar disorder.

In all honesty, now that I actually do have free time once in awhile I was thinking of getting back into art, doing something that connects mental health with art, but in a manner I consider actually meaningful, but haven't found the right method yet or come up with something in my own mind that's worth putting on a canvass.

What I've found is that psychiatrists doing art actually for the most part isn't good art, but with people not really being able to understand modern art, and having the mysticism over psychiatry, they're in the Emporer's New Clothes category and think there's something so deep and special with the psychiatrist's painting when it's really just a guy who can't paint for anything but no one can acknowledge it thinking that the psychiatrist is some type of artistic wizard.

... the psychiatrist's painting when it's really just a guy who can't paint for anything but no one can acknowledge it thinking that the psychiatrist is some type of artistic wizard.

And here's your next new revenue stream. Thousands for art that fools everybody. :pompous:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got asked by my father in law to either leave psych or get married to his daughter

what?

we're gonna need a detailed story barzan
You know whats the funny part is that he is a Dermatologist lol I swear I was like you must be kidding me right, the funnier part he went and phone called my parents to persuade me to leave the field, his reasoning is that it's not true medicine, and I'll get crazy doing it, and finally my kids would be stigmatized by my profession, but the most bummer thing for him was my dads response he told him my son does whatever he desires I am his father and I never told him to not do what he wants.
Unfortunately I left the option to her if she wants me or not I later found out she was the source of this dilemma

Last edited:
You know whats the funny part is that he is a Dermatologist lol I swear I was like you must be kidding me right, the funnier part he went and phone called my parents to persuade me to leave the field, his reasoning is that it's not true medicine, and I'll get crazy doing it, and finally my kids would be stigmatized by my profession, but the most bummer thing for him was my dads response he told him my son does whatever he desires I am his father and I never told him to not do what he wants.
Unfortunately I left the option to her if she wants me or not I later found out she was the source of this dilemma

so your wife was unhappy with your decision to go into psych so she got her dad to try and talk to your parents and you?