Anyone else's parents give them a hard time for not applying junior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senzen

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally made it very clear that I will be applying after graduation to my parents today. It was a difficult conversation but they accepted it. Unfortunately I did not have my life together freshman year so an extra year of grades really does make a huge difference for me. Plus I'm looking forward to some time off before medical school.

Is anyone else in the same position?

Do people regret not being able to apply their junior year? As much as I wish I had my act together back then, I'm not entirely regretful as I've learned a lot and had experiences I wouldn't have had if I went the traditional route.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents did nag me for a while but they got over it.

I'm really glad I didn't apply my junior year. I probably would have gotten rejected everywhere and lowered my chances for no reason as a reapplicant the next go around. Only apply when you are 100% ready!

Reactions: 8 users
Yep. My parents told me I was "wasting my time" not applying junior year. I ignored them because there was no way I was ready to apply at that point, and they've gotten over it. I'm so glad that I didn't apply junior year! It's incredible how many experiences I've had, how my views about medicine have changed, and how much I've matured in the past couple years.

Do what's right for YOU; not what your parents think you should do.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same with me and my extended family. Until I got multiple acceptances in my second gap year/reapp cycle

Don't feel bad at all OP. I start med school in the fall. Taking two years off before matriculation was probably one of the best decisions I've made. No way I could've gone straight from undergrad. Don't get me wrong, some people go straight from undergrand and perform very well in med school. Not everyone is the same. Any opportunity to strengthen your application matters. Most importantly, I feel as though i've matured quite a bit over this past couple of years (I graduated in 2013) and thus, made me mentally prepared for medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Right there with you. My parents thought I was just being lazy ("what are you doing with yourself for a whole year"), but I knew there was no way I could have put together my application materials during junior year so I convinced them otherwise. If you have a good plan I'm sure your parents will be content. If not...you know what's best for you!

Reactions: 1 users
My mom thought I was secretly giving up on medicine and that a gap year was an embarrassing or shameful thing for an applicant to have. This notion was only reinforced when one of the physicians she works with told her I was making a mistake.

Now that I'm accepted, she finally admits I made the right choice.

Reactions: 3 users
It won't be a problem once you have an acceptance or two to show for your wait!

They weren't too happy when I told them I'm taking a gap year to work as a scribe and gain experience. I tried telling them it would help my app and besides, the average age of M1's right now is about 25.. but didn't help lol. I personally feel pre-med clinical experience is huge and wanted that exposure beforehand. Now I'm on my second gap year and can't wait to hear it from them if I don't get accepted this cycle :p .

Worst case I don't get in, I'm planning on doing a masters or hopefully an SMP. Just have to get back out the house so I can do things my way without having to see the worried look on their faces every morning. I know what I have to do to get in but it's hard to explain it to parents who don't understand the process. Med school is not like other grad schools.

Like eberyone else above, parents thought I was being lazy or unnecessarily negative about my chances if I applied after junior year, but they came around when they saw I wouldn't budge and when the experiences turned out to be pretty enriching.

I've had multiple II offers and a successful interview cycle and my dad STILL brings up the fact that me applying after graduating was a mistake. Just do what you think is best. Parents can be eager for you to move into that next chapter of your education but only you know what is truly best for you. Also, not applying with everyone in my class sucked because I saw everyone else moving on with their lives. In the end, you'll be very appreciative of the time off once you've been accepted.

Don't listen to your families. They don't know what it's like and they're not the ones who have to live the life. They just want to brag about you. You guys are old enough to make your own decisions

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most parents don't understand how the med school admissions process works so don't let them make you feel lazy or inadequate. My parents nagged me hard for years to go into med school, so I ended up in a PhD program instead! (but that's a different story and chemistry rules!)

Last edited:
I don't really talk to my parents about things, so I don't think they even understand what the application process for med school is like. I feel like my mom doesn't even know I plan on applying to medical school haha. Sometimes, after my mom talks to a friend who is, say, an orthopedic surgeon, she'll nag me for a couple days saying, "Become an orthopedic surgeon! They make a lot of money!" I just ignore her lol. Or my dad says, "You know, pharmacists have great job outlooks." If I try to explain what I'd like to do, they just stare at me and then forget what I say after a couple of minutes.....or they ignore me.

Parents that don't get the admission process nags the most. They are just worried I think. I took a gap year and so happy I did that! It gave me time to make money for the application process and also gave me a chance to experience work-life before more years of school. My parents are done nagging me about gap year. Now they are freaking out about me going to D.O. school instead of M.D. It never ends!

I could have applied at the age of 40 and my parents would not have cared.

I prefer my parents like I prefer my lattes: chill and sweet.

I took a gap year to study for my MCAT (currently in senior year, studying). And my parents were soooo worried. They constantly nag me about the exam and think I made the biggest mistake every delaying for a year. In the meantime, I'm working as a schoolteacher and making like a 50K salary next year, and they think that's like a janitorial job -___-

The worst response I got from them was their concern over what they'd tell their friends. So dumb.

At first they were hesitant because they thought I would give up if I waited. They have no idea about the process, but they've seen how much I've changed and how ready I am now for school. They love having me home and are a little down to see me go. And I would hope most parents don't care once you finally get that acceptance and your hard work pays off.

Wow. You all have very different parents than mine.

On the contrary my parents suggest all the time that "its fine to just go PA if you want to" ...

-_____- MD or bust!

My parents actively discouraged both me and my brother from applying right out of undergrad. Then again, they are faculty and staff at a medical school, so they know the game. Just need to educate other less knowledgeable parents about the new norm of average age of matriculation is 24. Get the stats from the prior year at school's profile and show that to the parental units, and that should be enough to convince them you aren't a slacker.

My mom used to tell me I should just start out as a nursing aid and "work my way up to doctor". -__- Ah, baby boomers and their brains. smh

My parents are pretty chill about the whole process, but I know they also expect me to get into Harvard/ Johns Hopkins, mostly just because they know those names and they have high expectations of me. While it's good that they think I'm great, it's certainly easier said than done. I would be honored to even get an interview there, or any med school for that matter. I think this process teaches you a whole lot of humility, something that is often hard for parents to understand.

It reminds me actually. So I did pretty well on the MCAT, but when I get my score (I scored my average AAMC and was actually expecting to dip down a bit), I bound over to tell my mom, and say, guess what I got on my MCAT. She says flatly "39." smh. Parents don't understand the process generally.

My parents are pretty chill about the whole process, but I know they also expect me to get into Harvard/ Johns Hopkins, mostly just because they know those names and they have high expectations of me. While it's good that they think I'm great, it's certainly easier said than done. I would be honored to even get an interview there, or any med school for that matter. I think this process teaches you a whole lot of humility, something that is often hard for parents to understand.

Yes, it is a humbling process. I look at the statistics from AAMC that 80,000+ take the MCAT each year (the dreamers), 42,000 people actually apply (the hopefuls), and only 19,000 get accepted each year (the gratefuls). You are honored to be part of the 19,000, and Harvard+Hopkins are only 350 or so of the 19,000. There are 130+ MD schools. I've been humbled by looking at the reapp threads, folks with stellar apps that just made little mistakes (applying late, not broadly enough, skimped on some EC).

Yes, it is a humbling process. I look at the statistics from AAMC that 80,000+ take the MCAT each year (the dreamers), 42,000 people actually apply (the hopefuls), and only 19,000 get accepted each year (the gratefuls). You are honored to be part of the 19,000, and Harvard+Hopkins are only 350 or so of the 19,000. There are 130+ MD schools. I've been humbled by looking at the reapp threads, folks with stellar apps that just made little mistakes (applying late, not broadly enough, skimped on some EC).

To clarify, I am applying this coming cycle so I am not yet of the 19,000. But they are certainly sobering statistics.

To clarify, I am applying this coming cycle so I am not yet of the 19,000. But they are certainly sobering statistics.
We are both in the "hopefuls" category, as I'm applying this next cycle too. Best wishes to you.

My brother is an M1 this year, so I am certainly benefiting from watching his process (he didn't prewrite his secondaries, so August was his nightmare). I've learned prewrite those puppies!! But that means figuring out which schools to apply to first.

My parents did nag me for a while but they got over it.

I'm really glad I didn't apply my junior year. I probably would have gotten rejected everywhere and lowered my chances for no reason as a reapplicant the next go around. Only apply when you are 100% ready!

those were my thoughts exactly! my dad was even like, "don't you think you'll be ready for the September MCAT?" and he didn't get the concept of how applying late could severely hurt my chances of getting in this cycle.

I definitely feel more confident about applying next year!

Yep. My parents told me I was "wasting my time" not applying junior year. I ignored them because there was no way I was ready to apply at that point, and they've gotten over it. I'm so glad that I didn't apply junior year! It's incredible how many experiences I've had, how my views about medicine have changed, and how much I've matured in the past couple years.

Do what's right for YOU; not what your parents think you should do.

That's so awesome, how did you spend your gap year? I'm looking for things to do during my gap year.

Don't feel bad at all OP. I start med school in the fall. Taking two years off before matriculation was probably one of the best decisions I've made. No way I could've gone straight from undergrad. Don't get me wrong, some people go straight from undergrand and perform very well in med school. Not everyone is the same. Any opportunity to strengthen your application matters. Most importantly, I feel as though i've matured quite a bit over this past couple of years (I graduated in 2013) and thus, made me mentally prepared for medical school.

I'm looking forward to many experiences these next two years and for some time off before matriculating! I couldn't help but feel upset that I disappointed them though. But I think I will be okay. How did you spend your last two years?

Right there with you. My parents thought I was just being lazy ("what are you doing with yourself for a whole year"), but I knew there was no way I could have put together my application materials during junior year so I convinced them otherwise. If you have a good plan I'm sure your parents will be content. If not...you know what's best for you!

I do have a plan…after agreeing, my dad told me I have to stay home every single day during my gap year except for interviews -_- OK dad.

My mom thought I was secretly giving up on medicine and that a gap year was an embarrassing or shameful thing for an applicant to have. This notion was only reinforced when one of the physicians she works with told her I was making a mistake.

Now that I'm accepted, she finally admits I made the right choice.

I'm right there with ya. They are really embarrassed! But I think it's really the norm to apply after at least graduation or apply after a gap year. Congrats to you! Now you have some time to relax before medical school. I think that's super important too.

They weren't too happy when I told them I'm taking a gap year to work as a scribe and gain experience. I tried telling them it would help my app and besides, the average age of M1's right now is about 25.. but didn't help lol. I personally feel pre-med clinical experience is huge and wanted that exposure beforehand. Now I'm on my second gap year and can't wait to hear it from them if I don't get accepted this cycle :p .

Worst case I don't get in, I'm planning on doing a masters or hopefully an SMP. Just have to get back out the house so I can do things my way without having to see the worried look on their faces every morning. I know what I have to do to get in but it's hard to explain it to parents who don't understand the process. Med school is not like other grad schools.

People get in after multiple app cycles. Sometimes its necessary to learn from their previous mistakes so they can put forth a stronger application for the next cycle. I wish you the best of luck. I personally would like to commend you for not giving up. I see way too many people give up on medicine too quickly. It's not meant to be easy but it will be worth it. My dad said if I don't get in to just work an odd job, whatever that means…I refuse to ever give up on medicine.

I don't really talk to my parents about things, so I don't think they even understand what the application process for med school is like. I feel like my mom doesn't even know I plan on applying to medical school haha. Sometimes, after my mom talks to a friend who is, say, an orthopedic surgeon, she'll nag me for a couple days saying, "Become an orthopedic surgeon! They make a lot of money!" I just ignore her lol. Or my dad says, "You know, pharmacists have great job outlooks." If I try to explain what I'd like to do, they just stare at me and then forget what I say after a couple of minutes.....or they ignore me.

Hahahaha that's so funny lmao.

Parents that don't get the admission process nags the most. They are just worried I think. I took a gap year and so happy I did that! It gave me time to make money for the application process and also gave me a chance to experience work-life before more years of school. My parents are done nagging me about gap year. Now they are freaking out about me going to D.O. school instead of M.D. It never ends!

At the end of the day you're going to be a doctor and that's all that matters in my opinion. Congratulations on your success.

I took a gap year to study for my MCAT (currently in senior year, studying). And my parents were soooo worried. They constantly nag me about the exam and think I made the biggest mistake every delaying for a year. In the meantime, I'm working as a schoolteacher and making like a 50K salary next year, and they think that's like a janitorial job -___-

The worst response I got from them was their concern over what they'd tell their friends. So dumb.

Haha that's great money! And I absolutely know what you mean. My parents are really concerned too. But I can prove them wrong when I do get accepted to medical school. I'm more worried about getting into medical school than what others think. I'm going to be a doctor at the end of the day.

Wow. You all have very different parents than mine.

On the contrary my parents suggest all the time that "its fine to just go PA if you want to" ...

-_____- MD or bust!

That is really funny. Best of luck to you!

My parents actively discouraged both me and my brother from applying right out of undergrad. Then again, they are faculty and staff at a medical school, so they know the game. Just need to educate other less knowledgeable parents about the new norm of average age of matriculation is 24. Get the stats from the prior year at school's profile and show that to the parental units, and that should be enough to convince them you aren't a slacker.

That's so awesome they are so understanding. What did you spend your gap years doing?

It reminds me actually. So I did pretty well on the MCAT, but when I get my score (I scored my average AAMC and was actually expecting to dip down a bit), I bound over to tell my mom, and say, guess what I got on my MCAT. She says flatly "39." smh. Parents don't understand the process generally.

Yesterday my dad told me since I'm taking this extra time off I better get a perfect score on the new MCAT...

I thought my parents would be disappointed in me taking a gap year, but to my surprise they were understanding. My mom told me that it's my life, therefore my choice when/if I apply.

We are both in the "hopefuls" category, as I'm applying this next cycle too. Best wishes to you.

My brother is an M1 this year, so I am certainly benefiting from watching his process (he didn't prewrite his secondaries, so August was his nightmare). I've learned prewrite those puppies!! But that means figuring out which schools to apply to first.

Yup!! Spring semester, after I'm done with the MCAT, I want to pre-write all my secondaries.

I'm still struggling to find information on prompts, but that is not a major concern for right now anyway.

Yup!! Spring semester, after I'm done with the MCAT, I want to pre-write all my secondaries.

I'm still struggling to find information on prompts, but that is not a major concern for right now anyway.
Go to School Specific thread, and there is a secondaries "sticky" thing.

Don't listen to your families. They don't know what it's like and they're not the ones who have to live the life. They just want to brag about you. You guys are old enough to make your own decisions

The accuracy.

Still love you though, mom and dad.

Yesterday my dad told me since I'm taking this extra time off I better get a perfect score on the new MCAT...
Is your dad Asian? Sorry, I just had to ask. My dad said the same thing o_O He thinks if one tries hard enough a perfect score will happen

The accuracy.

Still love you though, mom and dad.
Ditto that. I didn't see how true that is until acceptance. My dear parents have no idea the amount of crazy down the road. I am taking their example and enjoying this moment before selling my soul to this career :)

At the end of the day you're going to be a doctor and that's all that matters in my opinion. Congratulations on your success.
Thanks for the encouragement! That's a concept that I will have to keep going back to when it gets hard haha

My parents definitely weren't on board with a gap year originally, but they definitely agree with me now that it was the right decision.

My advice? Bombard them with evidence. Quotes from medical school directors recommending gap years, statistics about the average age of medical school matriculants and that most people take at least one year off between medical school. Tell them that a year off will let you add awards/honors/grades from your senior year to your application, as well as a year of research or whatever, and that it's putting your application "at risk" if you don't take a gap year. Just be patient, and *convince* them.

Lol my parents are complete opposite. "Ugh, why become a doctor?! You're already a nurse, become an NP!! Less schooling. I want grandchildren soon!!!%$6

Is your dad Asian? Sorry, I just had to ask. My dad said the same thing o_O He thinks if one tries hard enough a perfect score will happen

Hahaha yes he is! They have no idea how hard it is! -_-