Anyone ever hear of Golden Key International Honor Society?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engineeredout

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear engineeredout,

Because you've placed in the top 15% of your class, you are invited to join the world's premier collegiate honor society and begin enjoying a host of outstanding member benefits and priviledges.

Act now! Join by 10/13/2008 to begin taking advantange of these benefits. I also encourage you to become involved with our Golden Key chapter on campus. To learn more about upcoming chapter events and activities, please visit our chapter information page on the Golden Key website.

RSVP TODAY to claim your place alongside other high-achievers.

Anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of it and I am part of it . It is an honor society like any other and should be put onto the resume. It can only help. I think it is a $60 charge (one time only) or something like that plus annoying e-mails which get filtered out by my spam mailbox. Though some of them have offers for members like credit cards discounts, cell phones discounts, book discounts, etc... You also get a nice plaque that you could hang up in your office someday.

yea, i'm in it, too. i dunno if it really means anything to med schools anyway, but it's worth a try, i guess.

I guess the term "scam" is relative, especially since many honor societies require dues.

--How much did everybody pay, if anything?
--Are there any benefits?
--How do they get your info, or could they just be making it up that they know your GPA/rank?

I guess the term "scam" is relative, especially since many honor societies require dues.

--How do they get your info, or could they just be making it up that they know your GPA/rank?

It's been like 3 years since I got in, so I'm not sure how accurate my information is. I paid like $65 one-time for initiation (which I missed because I had the days mixed up). I'm not sure of the benefits- I believe scholarships and networking opportunities are the primary benefit. The biggest perk that I find is putting it on applications and resumes- it just shows that you have excelled academically and were recognized for it. Finally, the school releases information for their students and that's how the society determines who gets an invite for membership. Sorry I don't know more specifics!

I also feel a lot of these "honor societies" are like scams -- was also invited to be a part of Phi Beta Kappa (or something like that) and yes the Who's Who (from high school); so far, I don't believe my resume or applications have suffered from lack of membership in these societies, and if anything, it just frees up space on the resume/primary application (although AACOMAS allows you to fit in a lot more than AMCAS for the activities section).

I also feel a lot of these "honor societies" are like scams -- was also invited to be a part of Phi Beta Kappa (or something like that) and yes the Who's Who (from high school); so far, I don't believe my resume or applications have suffered from lack of membership in these societies, and if anything, it just frees up space on the resume/primary application (although AACOMAS allows you to fit in a lot more than AMCAS for the activities section).

Phi Beta Kappa is actually a very well know society. It is also the oldest. Not all universities are approved to have a chapter on their campus and selection for it is tough. It is actually a good one.

Golden Key on the other hand is sort of a scam. It is newer and doesn't have much of a benefit. Much much easier to get selected for than than Phi Beta Kappa.

Like the other posters said it something to put on your resume and Med school applications.

Phi Beta Kappa is actually a very well know society. It is also the oldest. Not all universities are approved to have a chapter on their campus and selection for it is tough. It is actually a good one.

Golden Key on the other hand is sort of a scam. It is newer and doesn't have much of a benefit. Much much easier to get selected for than than Phi Beta Kappa.

Oops. Makes me wish I mailed and paid my dues in time, then. :smuggrin:

Oh well...

Anyone know anything about this?

I kinda think it is a scam. First off, they ask to collect a due ($65 is a lot in my opinion). Second off, I'm not exactly sure how they determine that you're in the top 15% of your class or what school you go to, (Not to offend or knock you down) but unless you go to MIT or Caltech, I can't see how your GPA can be considered 15th percentile. I think they mass mail everyone whose e-mail ends up on their listserv.

I kinda think it is a scam. First off, they ask to collect a due ($65 is a lot in my opinion). Second off, I'm not exactly sure how they determine that you're in the top 15% of your class or what school you go to, (Not to offend or knock you down) but unless you go to MIT or Caltech, I can't see how your GPA can be considered 15th percentile. I think they mass mail everyone whose e-mail ends up on their listserv.

See I think they went just based on my last year's GPA (~3.9).

And as for putting it on med school apps, I'm a bit too late for that :laugh:.

It seemed kinda sketchy, but I looked up the information on their website for our school's chapter, and I actually know one of the officers (and shes hot as all hell). Maybe its a good way to talk to her :hardy:

Phi Beta Kappa and Tau Beta Pi are the only honor societies worth paying to join as an undergraduate.

I always wanted to be in Tau Beta Pi. Damn them and their high standards:D.

If they went strictly on my engineering classes then I'd be golden. Oh well.

Maybe this golden key is the closest I'll get

I've been a member since my junior year in college. It's just like any other honor society on campus, they have meetings...etc. Great resume builder as I saw it but with perks (although I don't use any of them).

See I think they went just based on my last year's GPA (~3.9).

And as for putting it on med school apps, I'm a bit too late for that :laugh:.

It seemed kinda sketchy, but I looked up the information on their website for our school's chapter, and I actually know one of the officers (and shes hot as all hell). Maybe its a good way to talk to her :hardy:

Hot as hell you say? ;) I get it. Maybe it was a signal form her and she selected you for it. Play it right man, her pants are on fire for you buddy!:thumbup: :D