Anyone ever work with Outcomes or Mirixa, but not associated w/ a retail pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeLikeBueller

Doctor of Comic Relief
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done MTMs through Outcomes or Mirixa, but not as an employee of a retail pharmacy?

I'm looking into how one could do MTM as an indepentant consultant, of sorts, but I noticed on the contract agreement for Outcomes, you have to have an NABP number. So I'm kind of wondering now if there is some requirement that you have to be associated with a retail pharmacy. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested to know, as well. I was looking into it and it seemed like MTM contracts require a location where the service will occur.

I think the NABP is how they connect you with the patients. I have only had patients who fill at my store come up in the MTM systems, so I imagine that's the reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the NABP is how they connect you with the patients. I have only had patients who fill at my store come up in the MTM systems, so I imagine that's the reason.

Hmm...that's a good thought. There has to be a way to get connected w/ patients outside of that though, I would think. I may just have to get in touch with the respective companies.

How they work, the store the person fills at gets first dib. But if that store doesn't do MTM at all, or if they don't respond to that particular MTM request within a certain length of time, then other stores in that area can do the request. Realistically, I've found calling a patient for MTM when they don't fill at your store to be pretty fruitless--the patient will think you're a scam, or they get pissed that another pharmacy they have never been to has access to their info.

How they work, the store the person fills at gets first dib. But if that store doesn't do MTM at all, or if they don't respond to that particular MTM request within a certain length of time, then other stores in that area can do the request. Realistically, I've found calling a patient for MTM when they don't fill at your store to be pretty fruitless--the patient will think you're a scam, or they get pissed that another pharmacy they have never been to has access to their info.

Yeah, I've had this experience with my intern position, but what I'm really wondering about is how someone could try to do MTM as an independent consultant of sorts, not associated with any retail pharmacy. I know it would definitely be harder to get clients, but I'm interested in just doing it on the side, so I'm not looking to generate a full-time revenue stream.

In my experience, when the "primary" pharmacy and the other pharmacies in the chain/area fail to complete a request, the third party tries to complete it using their own "consultants." For example, PBMs like Catamaran have their own MTM pharmacists who complete these. I'm not sure if unaffiliated pharmacists are able to get a piece of that pie at this point in the game.