Anyone familiar with Larkin College of Pharmacy in Miami, FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tacrolimus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious. They're brand new and on PharmCAS and matriculating their first class in August. They'd be the 7th pharmacy school in Florida, but PharmCAS says there's no info on their accreditation status.

http://larkinhospital.com/site/college-of-pharmacy/

http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/2311

Members don't see this ad.

I am not opposed to Candidate schools, I applied to one which became Fully Accredited the May before I started classes.
But I would have qualms applying to a Pre-Candidate school.
There have been enough horror stories about Candidate schools not getting accredited and going bust, let alone Pre-Candidate.

You should be checking on the detailed accreditation for each school at ACPE, not just through PharmCAS.
Accredited schools can be on Probation but still appear as Accredited.
https://www.acpe-accredit.org/students/programs.asp

Hmmm... so their Hospital is For-Profit but their newly formed Larkin University will be Non-Profit.

And don't you just love it when a 'School' skips 'College' and jumps right to 'University.'

Not even Pre-Candidate and can't apply thru PharmCAS? Too much risk and hassle.

They are also planning an D.O. program. LECOM Bradenton students will tell you that it's not fun to play second fiddle to a medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
^thanks for responding. I know very little about the politics behind the accreditation process. Is the local job market taken into account by the accrediting body? We are already graduating over 1000 pharmacists a year in Florida., even though our most populated county (Miami-Dade) doesn't have a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
^thanks for responding. I know very little about the politics behind the accreditation process. Is the local job market taken into account by the accrediting body? We are already graduating over 1000 pharmacists a year in Florida., even though our most populated county (Miami-Dade) doesn't have a school.
I applied there but now I sort of regret it, they lost my paper work and I had to send them everything 3 times before they had it all. I haven't heard from them and an e-mail response takes almost 2-3 days before I hear anything and its not even detailed, so it always leaves me wondering. I would like to stay in Miami but I've already interviewed in 2 other locations outside of florida and I feel that I'll be taking my talents there (haha just a joke on the Talent thing) That is just from my experience, I'm sure others haven't had the same issues but since I don't find many people talking about it I take it not many are applying there. I hope his helps :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
I know very little about the politics behind the accreditation process. Is the local job market taken into account by the accrediting body?

Tons of politics involved...
In most states the Boards of Pharmacy do not register pharmacy schools so they cannot stop them from opening by denying them a permit.
ACPE does not assess job demand, just adequately meeting its educational standards. Inability to place students in APPEs (or complaints about such) would be under their purvue, but that would be at least 3-4 years after a school took in its first class.
Any kind of school that is accredited by any regional accreditation board (in this case SACS) that applies to the federal dept. of ed. should be able to offer federal student loans (and regardless of ACPE status).

The best case study of all of this for you happened in Florida. As an undergrad in South Florida and applicant to NSU and LECOM Bradenton (among others) for Fall 2010 I was very vigilant about USF's intent to start a pharmacy school which started in 2009...

USF's proposal got approved by the Board of Governors because they did not feel it would be a burden on the State's budget.
The Legislature voted against funding the new pharmacy school because they felt it would be burdensome.
USF raised $1 million privately to keep the proposal viable.
To reduce costs they offered to put it on their budding USF campus in Lakeland.
On the last day of the legislative session the legislature authorized $10 million for startup and $5 million for construction on the planned starchitect Santiago Calatrava designed new construction campus in Lakeland.
I recall that the state's department of education issued guidance that they had concern over students being able to find enough rotations in Lakeland (especially when LECOM Bradenton was considered).
The Governor vetoed the $10 million for USF Poly Pharmacy (polypharmacy?) in Lakeland.
The proposed campus was then moved back to Tampa (with no long term funding or buildings) in time for ACPE inspection.
USF was able to get Pre-Candidate accreditation status from ACPE even though they had no permanent facilities.
The legislature felt slighted and decided to force USF to divest of Lakeland to spin it off as Florida Polytechnic U., which would be it's own institution in the State University System of Florida.
'Stuck' with a Pre-Candidate school that was ready to admit students but could not the legislature appropriated $3 million for startup in Tampa.
USF in Tampa opened and is fully accredited since 2014.

I do not mean any of this at all to bash USF's Pharmacy School. Please do not take it that way. I'm sure that it is fine and produces great pharmacists. Heck, I would have applied to it if they were accepting in my cycle. And no one can deny that their Founding Dean is extremely determined.

What I'm saying is that even when the Governor, Legislature, & DOE do drastic things to prevent a new school from opening it can still happen, especially in Florida where Larkin is proposed.

Last edited:
Seems kind of risky at $44,000 a year.
$44,000 is steep but it is a 3 year program. It'd be like paying $33,000 at a 4 year, which is high, but not exorbitant like many of the newest private schools. At least they're offering to lock the tuition rate for three years.

Dead link on their PharmCAS. Found the hospitals page originally. Finally found their site.

They state that "approximately 120 students will be admitted each year." I hope that is not year 1. The model for most new private 4-year schools is start with 50, then up to 85 by the time the first class graduates, then push toward 100.

Classes will start in the former Everest University building in Miami Gardens and move down to the new campus during your time. Moving campuses will not be fun. You'll have enough moving around during APPE year.

The president and chairman of Larkin said that the Larkin University "campus will be a model of interdisciplinary training." Epic lol. Guess he's never been to Nova Southeastern University's Davie, FL main campus where the Health Professions Division has schools for: Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Optometry, Nursing, Audiology, SLP, OT, PT, PA, Anesthesiology Assistant, Athletic Training MPH, and Vascular Sonography.

What I'm saying is don't just apply to Larkin. And definitely include NSU since you're looking to stay in FL.

Disclosure: I went to NSU for undergrad and participated in the Clinic Exploration Program spending time in 6 of the different clinics of the schools above shadowing providers and their students.

Last edited:
$44,000 is steep but it is a 3 year program. It'd be like paying $33,000 at a 4 year, which is high, but not exorbitant like many of the newest private schools. At least they're offering to lock the tuition rate for three years.

Dead link on their PharmCAS. Found the hospitals page originally. Finally found their site.

They state that "approximately 120 students will be admitted each year." I hope that is not year 1. The model for most new private 4-year schools is start with 50, then up to 85 by the time the first class graduates, then push toward 100.

Classes will start in the former Everest University building in Miami Gardens and move down to the new campus during your time. Moving campuses will not be fun. You'll have enough moving around during APPE year.

The president and chairman of Larkin said that the Larkin University "campus will be a model of interdisciplinary training." Epic lol. Guess he's never been to Nova Southeastern University's Davie, FL main campus where the Health Professions Division has schools for:
  • Osteopathic Medicine,
  • Pharmacy, Dentistry,
  • Optometry,
  • Nursing,
  • Audiology,
  • SLP,
  • OT,
  • PT,
  • PA,
  • Anesthesiology Assistant,
  • Athletic Training
  • MPH, and
  • Vascular Sonography.

What I'm saying is don't just apply to Larkin. And definitely include NSU since you're looking to stay in FL.

Disclosure: I went to NSU for undergrad and participated in the Clinic Exploration Program spending time in 6 of the different clinics of the schools above shadowing providers and their students.
They actually got 3 personal/professors from nova to handle the operations, I forgot their names but they left Novas program about a year and a half a go, that's the only reason I applied but it seems like right now they're not able to keep up with emails or something.

Larkin University College of Pharmacy granted Candidate Status by ACPE!
Proud of our Deans and Professors!

Candidate Status: Once students have enrolled in a new program, but the program has not had a graduating class, the program may be granted Candidate status. The granting of Candidate status denotes a developmental program that is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Reasonable assurances are expected to be provided that the program may become accredited as programmatic experiences are gained, generally, by the time the first class has graduated. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program

This school sucks period. You guys are terrible for saturating one of the most saturated states even further. Can't wait until people come to their senses and your crappy diploma mill closes @LarkinpharmD

Members don't see this ad :)
This school sucks period. You guys are terrible for saturating one of the most saturated states even further. Can't wait until people come to their senses and your crappy diploma mill closes @LarkinpharmD
Your comment is offensive and not factual. We are not a diploma mill. Not sure, which people you are talking about. ACPE granted us Candidate Status. We have 88 students coming for the P1 class and tons of applications. We are here to stay.

Your comment is offensive and not factual. We are not a diploma mill. Not sure, which people you are talking about. ACPE granted us Candidate Status. We have 88 students coming for the P1 class and tons of applications. We are here to stay.
Could you please inform me with your school's admissions statistics (acceptance rate, average pcat/gpa) in order to prove your point? Doubt you will

Could you please inform me with your school's admissions statistics (acceptance rate, average pcat/gpa) in order to prove your point? Doubt you will
I am a P2 student, If you are looking for statistics ask the admission department. What I can tell you is that me and my classmates are happy here and that your offensive remarks are not appreciated.

Larkin University College of Pharmacy granted Candidate Status by ACPE!
Proud of our Deans and Professors!

Candidate Status: Once students have enrolled in a new program, but the program has not had a graduating class, the program may be granted Candidate status. The granting of Candidate status denotes a developmental program that is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Reasonable assurances are expected to be provided that the program may become accredited as programmatic experiences are gained, generally, by the time the first class has graduated. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program

Cool story bro

I just wanted to add that they ARE secondary accredited. They have an AMAZING set up and program that is academically PERFECT for me and every student. They are there for success and to get students to learn, period. They've got a system for testing and accommodations to ensure success. They've got mental health counselors for the bad days. They have keycard access to the building- it's secure! They also have the approval for their 45 acre campus...not sure about the progress on that. I've been accepted, and it was my 2nd top school (the first was in my state, but I wanted to move back home to FL more than that). It easily became my first choice when I went to my interview. There's literally nothing I can find wrong. Their tuition is AFFORDABLE, includes ALL materials you'll need for all 3 years. It's cheaper than PBA, yes. Both are great schools, IMO... but don't hate on a damn good program. They treated me like family just based on my questions...I liked them. ‍♀️

Google the hospital and fraud in the search bar

Ugh that took forever. The people involved are not involved in the pharmacy school. In addition, you're talking 2016 that it happened, 2017 that it was resolved.

justice.gov/opa/pr/former-florida-state-health-care-administration-official-sentenced-more-four-years-prison

Please don’t support this school by choosing to attend. The pharmacy profession needs to put its foot down somewhere and it is right here and right now.
This school is a predator, preying on the dreams of starry eyed and naive students.
If this is the only school you can get into, please re-evaluate yourself and future. Their are plenty of decent schools with great track records in Florida and Larkin is not one of them. This school will only serve to rake in your loan money and accelerate saturation. Nothing good comes from this school opening. Nothing.

There is just no need for more pharmacists in Florida. Where’s the justification?

If you value your future as a pharmacist, do not attend this predatory school. We need to take a stand! Please take your loan money to a better school and run this place out of business!!

Last edited:
Congratulations to Larkin on its 56% NAPLEX pass rate.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah- that's definitely something for them to be proud of. Hope they put that in their promotional literature. And the NABPLEX has even been dumbed down as it is. Just amazing watching a profession die like this. If pharmacy were an animal maybe we could get someone from the vet forums to euthanize it!

Last edited:
Wow- looks like they did equally stellar on MPJE. Too bad they're not teaching rocket science or brain surgery with those high standards..... Anyone notice LarkinpharmD has gone strangely silent....

I just wanted to add that they ARE secondary accredited. They have an AMAZING set up and program that is academically PERFECT for me and every student. They are there for success and to get students to learn, period. They've got a system for testing and accommodations to ensure success. They've got mental health counselors for the bad days. They have keycard access to the building- it's secure! They also have the approval for their 45 acre campus...not sure about the progress on that. I've been accepted, and it was my 2nd top school (the first was in my state, but I wanted to move back home to FL more than that). It easily became my first choice when I went to my interview. There's literally nothing I can find wrong. Their tuition is AFFORDABLE, includes ALL materials you'll need for all 3 years. It's cheaper than PBA, yes. Both are great schools, IMO... but don't hate on a damn good program. They treated me like family just based on my questions...I liked them. ‍♀

This didn't age well.

Reactions: 5 users

They will take this number and spin it into something positive like:

"More people passed than failed!"

"The majority of our new graduates passed"!

"There is higher than 1 in 2 chance that you'll pass"!

Reactions: 3 users
They will take this number and spin it into something positive like:

"More people passed than failed!"

"The majority of our new graduates passed"!

"There is higher than 1 in 2 chance that you'll pass"!

“My friend who went to Larkin got a job!”