anyone get into harvard with a low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranger9879

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone get into harvard with a low gpa but showing an upward trend? i started with a 2.7 and ended up with my last three semesters with upper division science classes 3.5, 3.89, 3.8 gpa. with a 30 or higher mcat do you think i have a chance?

also, during the HMS interview (if i get there) will explaining that i want to learn from specific professors in their research give me an edge in admission? jc.

here are my EC's:
stanford medical school research intern dealing with PTSD
president of FIMRC
Alpha epsilon delta secretary, EMT Officer and supplies manager
undergrad honors thesis in PTSD
former west point cadet, transferred to state school b/c family issues
work as sports medicine EMT, lots of shadowing, volunteering in hospital
research at Harvard Medical School plastic surgery lab

Members don't see this ad.

you're not going to get into HMS

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone get into harvard with a low gpa but showing an upward trend? i started with a 2.7 and ended up with my last three semesters with upper division science classes 3.5, 3.89, 3.8 gpa. with a 30 or higher mcat do you think i have a chance?

also, during the HMS interview (if i get there) will explaining that i want to learn from specific professors in their research give me an edge in admission? jc.

here are my EC's:
president of FIMRC

No, they have hundreds of straight 3.8+ people to choose from - they don't need to give lower GPA applicants a chance.

Maybe a REALLY HIGH MCAT will do it...like in the 40s. Even then, your low 3.? gpa might be your demise (no course forgiveness in AMCAS).

However, you still have nothing to lose by applying. I don't think any of us can really tell you whether or not you'll get in (let me pull out my crystal ball, clean it, and then I'll get back to you).

Personally I think the upward trend is not as influential as most people think. The fact is that it takes a human to look at your app and see this trend, the computer will look at you cumulative GPA and give you a secondary based on that. The average GPA of an accepted Harvard applicant is 3.8. Unless your cumulative GPA is above 3.6, you probably don't have a good shot. You MCAT also needs to be more than just 30 or higher, especially to help out with that GPA. You need at least a 34, and that's if your GPA was good (3.8).

Let's hope you can articulate yourself better than this in an interview because frankly I have no idea what you meant.

here are my EC's:
president of FIMRC

A word of advice - on your application don't use acronymns without explaining them. Its hard to access your ECs without knowing how long you participated in each one.

If you could get your MCAT >38-40, maybe an outside shot.

Got in with 3.7 and not so stellar MCAT :)thumbdown)

Reactions: 1 users

That kind of thing is much more relevant for PhD applicants (and obviously MD-PhD). In terms of strictly MD, that's not going to help at all.

In terms of overall chances, Harvard is very competitive, even if you have outstanding stats (though it seems you don't). Don't let anyone here prevent you from applying, but my assessment of your chances would be low (but again, no one's chances are 'high').

For every part of your app that is below average (ex. your gpa), the other parts need to be proportionately above average. If you want to increase your chances, do as well as you can on the MCAT. Also, hopefully your ECs were quality experiences and you can convey this.

On the other side of the fence, I didn't get in with 3.97 overall / 4.00 in BCPM and 36 MCAT. Harvard is just screwy that way. (I had great LORs, ECs and research too.) Don't get your heart set on it -- honestly I think there are a dozen medical schools just as good.

On the other side of the fence, I didn't get in with 3.97 overall / 4.00 in BCPM and 36 MCAT. Harvard is just screwy that way. (I had great LORs, ECs and research too.) Don't get your heart set on it -- honestly I think there are a dozen medical schools just as good.
Did you get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha! When I first read this thread, I thought the OP was kidding :oops: I see now this is a serious post. My apologies for being flippant.

Good grief! Is this what you people talk about over here in pre-allo? I guess we don't have too many "can I get into Harvard" posts on my side of the tracks:rolleyes:

Ha! When I first read this thread, I thought the OP was kidding :oops: I see now this is a serious post. My apologies for being flippant.

Good grief! Is this what you people talk about over here in pre-allo? I guess we don't have too many "can I get into Harvard" posts on my side of the tracks:rolleyes:

well some of the n00bs who come waltzing in here still haven't had a chance to broaden their horizons. by post 100, users usually understand that going to harvard is not the only way to become a successful doctor.

Got in with 3.7 and not so stellar MCAT :)thumbdown)

Same here! I was surprised even to get an interview at Harvard and shocked to get in, but it seems like they really do care about quality extra-curriculars/interesting life experiences, so there is still hope!

Same here! I was surprised even to get an interview at Harvard and shocked to get in, but it seems like they really do care about quality extra-curriculars/interesting life experiences, so there is still hope!

so I guess Harvard thought my life wasn't interesting/my ECs were too bland? (wasn't my research or numbers that got me rejected)

Give me a break...this is an arbitrary crapshoot. Many "interesting" and "involved" people get rejected from Harvard.The secret is good luck.

It is likely that every applicant in the COUNTRY with a GPA over 3.7 will apply to Harvard, so thousands of applicants with high GPA's are just standard, not unique. In other words, you need to strive for more than just bringing that GPA way up if you have your heart set on Harvard... they seem to choose people not just on the numbers but on how unique and interesting they are as people.

On that note, I suggest NOT putting your heart on Harvard from the beginning, because a lot of it really is a crapshoot and based on factors you can't really control (I mean, I think I'm an interesting and unique person and I still got rejected, lol :p). IMO the best way to approach this process is to be open minded about where you end up... I can tell you that I NEVER could have predicted how my application experience ended up turning out (i.e. I got waitlisted at all of my safety schools and accepted at a school I thought I had no chance at)!!

Reactions: 1 user
so I guess Harvard thought my life wasn't interesting/my ECs were too bland? (wasn't my research or numbers that got me rejected)

Give me a break...this is an arbitrary crapshoot. Many "interesting" and "involved" people get rejected from Harvard.The secret is good luck.

QM, need I remind you that you got into Vandy? :b Harvard really isn't as big a deal as you think it is.... really, it isn't... :>

QM, need I remind you that you got into Vandy? :b Harvard really isn't as big a deal as you think it is.... really, it isn't... :>

Harvard certainly is not a big deal. I'm not going there.

Harvard certainly is not a big deal. I'm not going there.

My point is that yes, we both interviewed and they obviously DIDN'T think we were interesting or unique enough to go to their school, but that doesn't matter because there are other top schools that DO in fact think we are interesting and unique enough, so there's no real reason to be resentful about it, you know?

(obviously not UCLA though :sleep: )

My point is that yes, we both interviewed and they obviously DIDN'T think we were interesting or unique enough to go to their school, but that doesn't matter because there are other top schools that DO in fact think we are interesting and unique enough, so there's no real reason to be resentful about it, you know?

(obviously not UCLA though :sleep: )

haha I'm not resentful at any school in particular...the whole admissions process is so bizarre that I'm simply thankful that I got in somewhere.

One mistake I definitely made was to set my hopes on being accepted at HMS. I was rejected outright post-interview, and I was heart-broken. But honestly, I couldn't have planned things better in hindsight, I ended up with a full-ride to a great school.

To put your situation in perspective, it really is a crapshoot. Go to MDapplicants.com for a look at the numbers/ EC's people who do get into HMS have. No GPA/ MCAT/ list of EC's gaurantees you ANYTHING in this process: I was dumped with a 4.0 and 39...

Maybe a REALLY HIGH MCAT will do it...like in the 40s. Even then, your low 3.? gpa might be your demise (no course forgiveness in AMCAS).

However, you still have nothing to lose by applying. I don't think any of us can really tell you whether or not you'll get in (let me pull out my crystal ball, clean it, and then I'll get back to you).

:thumbup: :thumbup:

you're not going to get into HMS

don't be discouraged - you seem to like research, so you just have to find a way to make yourself stand out above the crowd and really focus on succeeding, but be warned: you only get one bite at the apple, so make sure you choose something realistic (there's no way you're going to cure AIDS in less than 6 months, but maybe you have a shot at something simpler, like curing MS, lupus, or chronic idiopathic itching syndrome)

Did you get an interview?

Yes, and it went incredibly well. Probably my best interview of the season. The lady and I seemed to get along very well and I'm sure she wrote me a good rec to the committee. Goes to show, at some point, people who you never see and never meet will be really deciding your fate.

don't be discouraged - you seem to like research, so you just have to find a way to make yourself stand out above the crowd and really focus on succeeding, but be warned: you only get one bite at the apple, so make sure you choose something realistic (there's no way you're going to cure AIDS in less than 6 months, but maybe you have a shot at something simpler, like curing MS, lupus, or chronic idiopathic itching syndrome)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The whole application process is such a crap-shoot that you should go for it if you think you have a reasonable chance.

This process is so screwy: I was interviewed and accepted at schools that I thought I had no chance, yet got no love from my home state, nor from schools I had interviewed at the first time I applied.

Hey it doesn't hurt to apply - my grades were very similar, I screwed up my first semester and then had a steady upward trend, 3.6 overall GPA and a 34 mcat - and I interviewed at Harvard but was rejected (my interview went really well I thought). Your ec's look much better than mine too, so go ahead and go for it. But you cannot bank on getting in, its a very random process.

Yes, and it went incredibly well. Probably my best interview of the season. The lady and I seemed to get along very well and I'm sure she wrote me a good rec to the committee. Goes to show, at some point, people who you never see and never meet will be really deciding your fate.

So true. My best interview ended with the interviewer asking me what she could do to get me to choose her school...and resulted in a waitlist. I only had one interview which I truly believe granted me admission, and it was with the dean of admissions.

OP- HMS is great, but it isn't the only great school. Just concentrate on getting accepted. Most applicants don't gain admission anywhere...

My advice to the OP:

Apply to HMS. You never know unless you try. However, don't count on getting in so apply to other schools as well.

lol OP...seriously, don't set your heart on Harvard.

Now, sure, crapshoots might occasionally come through but seriously? More or less you're just burning money on the apps people.

why harvard anyway? is it that you jusy want a good rep? why not focus on the real reason why u want to be a physician and go to a school where you will get extensive clinical training and not have to worry about cocky patients not wanting to be seen my medical students and residents?

here are my EC's:
president of FIMRC

Can we be serious for a second? At some point you had a 2.7, which means multiple C's. You research is good, you ECs are good, but you are still coming out of a state school, which means your GPA will be viewed even more suspect.

You need to get a sweet MCAT score and apply early to have a shot at any school.

Can we be serious for a second? At some point you had a 2.7, which means multiple C's. You research is good, you ECs are good, but you are still coming out of a state school, which means your GPA will be viewed even more suspect.

You need to get a sweet MCAT score and apply early to have a shot at any school.

ouch

I'm not trying to be a d*ck. I think I'm right.

Well we'll see later in this upcoming app cycle if you are indeed right.

But seeing as how you are wrong about so many things you post, I am going to bet against you.

As far as I'm concerned you are just another "Tired" ass premed who feels they know everything there is to know about the app process.

Ummmmmmmm...puta...you don't know mierda!!!

I did NOT even apply to
Harvard..but they sent me a rejection letter:)

Well we'll see later in this upcoming app cycle if you are indeed right.

But seeing as how you are wrong about so many things you post, I am going to bet against you.

As far as I'm concerned you are just another "Tired" ass premed who feels they know everything there is to know about the app process.

Ummmmmmmm...puta...you don't know mierda!!!

Hmm, I must have pissed you off somehow. Was it that discussion over in Allo? Are you really fat, and my jokes hit a nerve?

Excellent play on my screen name, though I would have gone with "Tired-ass", it has a little stronger visual effect.

And for the record little man, I haven't been a premed since 2003.

here are my EC's:
president of FIMRC

Shut up.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You're hilarious, but I'm finally starting to get why every week I log on you're on some sort of Probation or Account on Hold or whatever . . . :D

I did NOT even apply to
Harvard..but they sent me a rejection letter:)

I am framing my rejection letter. I will then proceed to hang it next to my Nobel Prize, for when I discover the cure of some disease.

Take that, Harvard!!

:oops:

I am framing my rejection letter. I will then proceed to hang it next to my Nobel Prize, for when I discover the cure of some disease.

Take that, Harvard!!

:oops:

Harvard rejected you because they believed you would not be able to discover this random cure. Sorry, I kid. Just too easy.

Harvard rejected you because they believed you would not be able to discover this random cure. Sorry, I kid. Just too easy.

Exactly.

Which is why it will be even more awesome and butt-kicking when I do discover the cure. ;)