Anyone going to the AHVMA conference in Portland this weekend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanHardlyWait

VMRCVM c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or I am the only hippy on SDN pre vet?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not going - I just have to note that is absolutely killing me that they have a committee called the council of elders. That's somewhat hilarious.

Reactions: 1 users
You're not the only hippie! But I'm not going. PS, Portland is an excellent city to host such a conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not going, but thanks for posting this - I'll definitely look into it next year. Do you have to be a SAHVMA member to attend? I couldn't tell from the website whether it's only for AHVMA/SAHVMA members or if anyone can attend but members get a discount for fees and such.
PS, Portland is an excellent city to host such a conference.
It sure is. I'm still not positive whether the post is asking whether there are other SDNers interested in holistic medicine or whether there are Portland SDNers. "Hippie" doesn't exactly make it clear which group you're talking about... ;)

(I say this in a nice way. The city is one of my favorite places to visit and I'm interested in holistic medicine and people sometimes call me a hippie, so I mean no offense.)

Reactions: 1 user
Portland has some amazing foods.

Eat all the foods while you are there.

The food trucks are amazing! The grilled cheese one is my favorite. And Voodoo Doughnuts is sooo good. So many breweries too. Man I wish I was going to Portland, haha

The food and breweries are amazing.
Where is this grilled cheese food truck? It sounds delicious and I may be heading to Portland for a visit sometime soon.

The Grilled Cheese Grill has a few locations (and has vegan options!), but if you're with others that want other options, check out the food truck pods downtown. I think theirs is around SW 10th and Washington.

And back to the original reason for this thread, I second the question about needing to be a SAHVMA member to attend? Or is there anyway for pre-vetties to attend?

The Grilled Cheese Grill has a few locations (and has vegan options!), but if you're with others that want other options, check out the food truck pods downtown. I think theirs is around SW 10th and Washington.

And back to the original reason for this thread, I second the question about needing to be a SAHVMA member to attend? Or is there anyway for pre-vetties to attend?
Cool, I'll look for it next time I visit. Haha I should have just googled it, but I didn't realize it would be named that simply.

CanHardlyWait, apologies for being very off-topic in your thread. I hope the conference this weekend is really interesting! That's cool that they have a mentor thing for people who are attending the conference for the first time. Have you ever done that, and is it a good idea to sign up for it?

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed reply. Busy week for me. And I never mind off topic food or brewery talk!
So, I don't know if you have to be a SCAVMA member to attend. You do have to be a member of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association to attend. That's what I meant about being a hippy ;) Although I hear Portland is pretty counter culture also. Looking forward to checking it out. Definitely going to voodoo doughnut!
I'm going as a student delegate from my school's student chapter of the AHVMA. My trip and conference registration is free. From what I understand, this offer was/is extended to all schools which have a student AHVMA chapter, to send one delegate free. I am the only one from any of the schools doing this, I believe. I will be attending and rooming with national student executive board members, not sure who is paying for them.
The conference looks amazing and they offer a tai chi class everyone morning! I had no idea that the AHVMA had a council of elders. Pretty funny, but also an appropriate title within this, well, less than mainstream side of vet med.

Enjoy the conference! I would love to hear about it when you return as I'm very interested in Holistic Veterinary Medicine.

For anyone interested in "alternative" medicine, AKA ridiculous nonsense sold by con artists and anti-science profiteers, I'd highly recommend http://skeptvet.com/Blog/

I'd highly recommend that anyone interested in veterinary medicine in any way shape or form keep an open mind. Scientific inquiry, research and trying things that might be "against the norm" is something that allows the profession to grow. I used to think acupuncture was ridiculous until I saw how much it really does help for some animals. Instead of writing things off as "ridiculous nonsense" you would do yourself a lot of good to keep an open mind, or stay out of the profession because the rest of us don't want you around if you are going to be a closed-minded, passive aggressive jerk.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm also not a huge fan of alternative medicine (frankly think most is BS), but sheesh catlady, nobody is going to listen to you if you come to the conversation that aggressively. Reminds me of vegans flailing pictures of downer cows in busy walkways, or fundamentalist christians with aborted fetus signs - these sorts of things just manage to make people defensive and are counterproductive.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Oh, how I love to be a source of controversy. I will respond later to the drama, but right now it is 1 am in Portland, my east coast brain thinks it is 4 am, and I am tipsy from delicious Washington Chardonnay. I will say that I appreciate the discussion/thoughts/interests whether positive or not. And I look forward to interesting discussion with all of you.

It's cute how you alternative medicine evangelists always think you're so right-on for being "open-minded." Open-minded about what? Killing patients and conning clients by advocating disproven therapies? To believe in alternative medicine is to reject the germ theory of disease (you might remember reading about that being kind of a big deal), not to mention rejecting every single thing scientists have ever learned about chemistry, physics, and biology. It's depressing that so many kids who believe in this nonsense manage to sneak their way through biomedical programs without learning a single thing. People who believe in alternative medicine should have their degrees rescinded and banned from pretending to be doctors.

It's cute how you alternative medicine evangelists always think you're so right-on for being "open-minded." Open-minded about what? Killing patients and conning clients by advocating disproven therapies? To believe in alternative medicine is to reject the germ theory of disease (you might remember reading about that being kind of a big deal), not to mention rejecting every single thing scientists have ever learned about chemistry, physics, and biology. It's depressing that so many kids who believe in this nonsense manage to sneak their way through biomedical programs without learning a single thing. People who believe in alternative medicine should have their degrees rescinded and banned from pretending to be doctors.

:rolleyes:

Wow, I completely disagree. I have seen many patients fail to respond to conventional medical treatments/therapies, and thrive after being treated with holistic/alternative therapies. Obviously this is not the case for all patients, but it is awesome to see the improvement. I would lose the attitude quick because alternative medicine is becoming more popular in vet med, esp in the equine racing industry.