Anyone going to the University of Washington (Seattle?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polygirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't really seen anyone from UW on here....anyone else in my class this fall?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not. But if you have any questions about the area feel free to PM me.

UW is a good school. Awesome anatomy foundation, and respected nationally. The first couple of quarters require some dedication, and after that it eases up a fair amount. Have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the weather like in seattle for those of us who have not been there except during the summers? Can it be as depressing as people say? How much does it actually rain, and is there perpetual dark skies? Comparable to Norcal?

What is the weather like in seattle for those of us who have not been there except during the summers? Can it be as depressing as people say? How much does it actually rain, and is there perpetual dark skies? Comparable to Norcal?

It rains some...it's pretty much all relative to what you're used to. When it does it's more of a drizzle...makes for perfect curl-up-with-an-anatomy-atlas-and-a-cup-of-coffee-weather. Although a few years back we did have 30 days of uninterrupted rain, but that was an anomaly. Right now, in the spring, we'll have a couple days of sun followed by a couple days of rain, so as you imagine plants grow like crazy.

We do have a lot of cloudy/gray days. The clouds get momentarily trapped between the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges, so they just kind of hover over the Puget Sound area, sometimes with occasional "sun breaks". We do have some perfect days too. The summers here are better than anywhere else I've been (east coast, southwest, midwest).

People who I know who moved here from places like Arizona and California in the past hated it for about a year or two, then loved it.

To pretty much echo the above, yes and no. It is not as bad as people say it is, that's for sure. Our annual rainfall is approximately 44 inches. To put that into perspective, that is less than pretty much every major city on the east coast (New York, DC, etc.)

However, although the actual amount of rain is not that much, it can be pretty gray and drizzly for long stretches in the winter. But really, if your from the mid-west or east cost it will seem very mild. We usually only have one "deep freeze" a year, and even then it is usually right around freezing. Temps are usually in the upper 40's to low 50's in the winter, 60's in the spring, and 70's to 80's in the summer.

It does get dark early in the heart of winter (4-5). In the summer it stays light until 9-10. Give and take.

Since you were here in the summer I don't have to tell you how gorgeous it is.

Would anyone at UW be able to comment on
-the safety of the campus
-the quality of the facilities
-the availability of help or academic/career counseling
-where most grad students live while attending the programs
-if paying out of state tuition is worth it D:
Thanks! I'm accepted for class of 2019

:whistle:*edit: deleted original post. I didn't see the original date of this thread.

Last edited: