Anyone going to USC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sboehler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've officially decided I will be going to USC next year and was wondering who else is going to be in my class...maybe we can chat :)
-Sara

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about the University of South Carolina? I applied there but haven't heard anything back yet. When did you get your letter?

nope, University of Southern California

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I just decided on attending USC. I would say I am about 85% sure right now. I have until next Fri to decide.

that's awesome! well if you do indeed decide to be a trojan message me and we can chat :)

I should be at USC in the fall. I am not 100% sure but since my deposit has already been sent in it is a good indicator.

From what I have heard - you will LOVE USC!! Yes, it is expensive; however, the training is amazing, professors are available - even on the weekends, students in the class support each other. Now that your decision is made, know that you made a good one!!:) Congratulations on being accepted - I hear it is getting more and more difficult with PTCAS.

So I've officially decided I will be going to USC next year and was wondering who else is going to be in my class...maybe we can chat :)
-Sara
I'm going to USC in the fall. I still haven't had a chance to visit the campus or checkout any of the housing options, so if you have any info. I would love to hear it!

Congratulations on your acceptances to USC. It's a hefty price for tuition, but you'll be going to a great program (really strong in research) with a very loyal alumni base. Plus, you'll be in LA! I know the school and program really well because I did my undergrad and research there, completed my volunteer hours at LAC-USC and have many friends that have gone through the program.

I still can't believe you guys are going to spend that much money...
Why go to a school for $150,000 when you can go for $30,000?

It is really not that much more expensive than a lot of other schools when you take in to account of all the other expenses. Personally, I live extremely close to campus. That means I do not have to pay for any other bills in the program i.e. rent, food, or even a parking permit and transportation. Only books and fees. Plus, other than the Cal States (MPT) the programs in Cal are not as low as $30,000 for all three years. It is more like $30,000/year.

Also, if you are planning to stay in California, as I do, the name goes a long way if you want to do research or teach. Just look at other California schools and see where the faculty come from. (I do not know how true this is, but it is something many other schools brag about at their information sessions).

All in all, just go to a school that you are happy with.

It is really not that much more expensive than a lot of other schools when you take in to account of all the other expenses. Personally, I live extremely close to campus. That means I do not have to pay for any other bills in the program i.e. rent, food, or even a parking permit and transportation. Only books and fees. Plus, other than the Cal States (MPT) the programs in Cal are not as low as $30,000 for all three years. It is more like $30,000/year.

Also, if you are planning to stay in California, as I do, the name goes a long way if you want to do research or teach. Just look at other California schools and see where the faculty come from. (I do not know how true this is, but it is something many other schools brag about at their information sessions).

$150k will be extremely difficult to pay back with a PT salary. i feel like people who select this program are blinded by the top ranking and the name USC. i would try to speak to recent alumni and hear their opinions of the program,and try to get an honest one. and keep in mind that every practicing PT on these boards, at least from what ive seen, has argued that USC is a complete waste of money.

$150k will be extremely difficult to pay back with a PT salary. i feel like people who select this program are blinded by the top ranking and the name USC. i would try to speak to recent alumni and hear their opinions of the program,and try to get an honest one. and keep in mind that every practicing PT on these boards, at least from what ive seen, has argued that USC is a complete waste of money.

I agree, it will be very difficult, if not excruciating, to pay back the money (I am not sure where you got the $150,000 figure from, maybe after interest? Current rates put it closer to $127,000). All I am saying is there are many good things about the school that no one seems to discuss. Maybe people on this board are strictly interested in only becoming clinicians. More power to them. I for one like teaching and research.

As for me if I were to go to a much more inexpensive school I would still be paying a very similar amount. For instance, the reference to Western is always made. At $30,000 per year tuition alone is $90,000. After the addition of rent and food the cost of attending Western is very close to the tuition at USC. Granted there are many other fees such as books, but in my case at USC I would not have to worry about rent and food, the two biggest expenses.

I dont want to cause a point by point argument about USC, because in no way is it a perfect situation. However, in my case it is one of the better situations.

For what it's worth, I have also spoken to many graduates of the program. They all feel like it is a worthwhile experience.

Like I said before, what works for one person might not work for the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, it will be very difficult, if not excruciating, to pay back the money (I am not sure where you got the $150,000 figure from, maybe after interest? Current rates put it closer to $127,000). All I am saying is there are many good things about the school that no one seems to discuss. Maybe people on this board are strictly interested in only becoming clinicians. More power to them. I for one like teaching and research.

As for me if I were to go to a much more inexpensive school I would still be paying a very similar amount. For instance, the reference to Western is always made. At $30,000 per year tuition alone is $90,000. After the addition of rent and food the cost of attending Western is very close to the tuition at USC. Granted there are many other fees such as books, but in my case at USC I would not have to worry about rent and food, the two biggest expenses.

I dont want to cause a point by point argument about USC, because in no way is it a perfect situation. However, in my case it is one of the better situations.

For what it's worth, I have also spoken to many graduates of the program. They all feel like it is a worthwhile experience.

Like I said before, what works for one person might not work for the other.

Well said, SoCalPT! People are in different situations, so everybody on here is intelligent enough to make a decision that's best for them w/o others butting in and offering unsolicited financial advisory services. Shouldn't we be happy for one another just for the fact that most of us are pursing something we're passionate about?

I'm trying to decide between USC and another program, and doing my own due diligence on both programs. I've had the chance to visit the school a few times to meet with faculty and students. Like SoCalPT, I'm interested in research, and I find USC very attractive in that regards. While 'name' may not be important to many of you, USC is looked highly upon in California, and this is coming from a grad who went to a rival school up north and has despised the letters USC for as long as I can remember :laugh: I know many graduates from the program, and they all were pleased with their experience at the university.

Anyway, getting back to topic. A big congrats to all of you who decided to become part of the USC Class of 2013! I look forward to maybe becoming one of your classmates come fall!:)

I'm pretty sure I'll be attending USC with you this fall! I'd love to chat :)

I'll be at USC in the Fall as well! Someone should create a facebook group or something so people can start meeting each other and what not :). Anyone know where they're living?

I implore either of you to make a Facebook group for our class...I'm not sure I know how haha.
Or you can find me on facebook "Sara Boehler" [email protected] and we can chat there.
Great to hear about your plans to be Trojans as well.

As for the negative comments that are milling about this thread...really guys, come on, this is meant to be a thread to get to know my new classmates and revel in eachothers excitement. Check your negativity at the door.

i'll be brave and make the group and post a link?

Bump

So has anyone else decided on USC?

State schools are affordable, and it doesn't take a serious look to understand that the professors at any school can provide you with experience and impart their knowledge. Tuition cost is a pretty beaten over topic, but in no case does state school cost 30k a year.. I have met and worked with a variety of PTs from different programs, and they all displayed the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful. Just know, if you plan on paying off that huge debt earlier, its going to be a grind on weekends as well. If its the "trojan calling sign" you are after, then go to USC. In the end, we are all equally adept regardless where you have received your training. You can find good things about any school, "which no one seems to discuss", loyalty, research oppurtunities, etc. If you can't network, then it won't help if it is handed to you on a silver platter.

State schools are affordable, and it doesn't take a serious look to understand that the professors at any school can provide you with experience and impart their knowledge. Tuition cost is a pretty beaten over topic, but in no case does state school cost 30k a year.. I have met and worked with a variety of PTs from different programs, and they all displayed the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful. Just know, if you plan on paying off that huge debt earlier, its going to be a grind on weekends as well. If its the "trojan calling sign" you are after, then go to USC. In the end, we are all equally adept regardless where you have received your training. You can find good things about any school, "which no one seems to discuss", loyalty, research oppurtunities, etc. If you can't network, then it won't help if it is handed to you on a silver platter.

I am not sure if you actually read the post that you are quoting, or the post I made after that one, but I never said state schools cost $30,000 as you are implying. I simply mentioned that for myself the cost of attending most other schools would be much more than the tuition itself. As I already have a house close to USC I do not plan on moving unless absolutely necessary.

I never made any assumptions about the quality of education of other programs. I am sure most programs are relatively equal. I also never claimed that USC was some great university superior to all others. However, some of the schools (USC) benefits are rarely discussed on these boards, in sharp contrast to many other schools.

Again, I will say that I do not wish to have a point-by-point argument about USC. It is not for everyone. But for certain people, whatever their reason may be, it works.

30k/year for instate no. Usually it is ~20k it seems with some being ~10k/year. For out-of-state status, however, 30k/year isn't uncommon. I had to cross off my primary institution because I realized I wouldn't be able to realistically obtain in-state status and the tuition is now 33k/year. Ouch!

My wife would love it if I told her I was going to USC....but the only way I could manage that is if they gave me a full scholarship.

$127,000 (tuition) X 100 (accepted students per year)

It's a money thing. What is the average number of accepted students for each program in California? I can't understand how anyone would strive to go to this type of institution. If you want a high ranking/research school then why not strive for UCSF? I went to CPTA 2010 and saw article after article of research flowing from this institution.

Timing may also play a role--so many schools start in late spring/early summer. Many potential students won't graduate from undergrad until mid-June. UCSF starts in June. I won't even be able to apply there along with many other schools next year because I won't graduate until mid-June.