Anyone have a career now that they're willing to leave for podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockman_ariel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about three years into my career and have a wife and kids. I'm wondering if there are any people with similar situations, specifically those who are making podiatry their second career.

Little bit about me: I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but didn't know what kind. I found podiatry after I finished my undergraduate studies and now have to wait for my wife to finish her undergrad years for me to continue my schooling.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'll be leaving my gap year job as a microbiologist.

Yes, I'm a scientist at the most popular battery technology company. I love my job and my salary, but leaving it all for pod school this fall. You're not alone.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm about three years into my career and have a wife and kids. I'm wondering if there are any people with similar situations, specifically those who are making podiatry their second career.

Little bit about me: I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but didn't know what kind. I found podiatry after I finished my undergraduate studies and now have to wait for my wife to finish her undergrad years for me to continue my schooling.

I was in the workforce for 3 years and I am starting Pod school this Fall. I am also married but I don't have any kids yet. When I interviewed at schools, however, I met a number of current students who have kids and they seemed to be doing fine. I think being used to a typical workday routine will help in school. Since I am used to an 8-5 schedule I plan to treat my school like a job and stay on campus from 8-5 Mon-Fri and spend nights at home with my wife. Hopefully that (plus whatever studying I do on the weekends) will be enough.

Last edited:
I'm even further. I finished my undergrad in 2004. I had a degree in zoology and was trying to get into field biology. Most of the jobs paid crap and even if I went to grad school I wouldn't be making enough to easily pay off my loans so I decided to switch. I'm currently 32 and starting at NYCPM this fall (unless I get bumped up from the waiting lists at DMU or AZPOD). I'm not too happy about the fact that I'll be 40 by the time I'm finally practicing but I was really unhappy with where I was.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think my situation is a bit different from yours, but I spent my gap year as an English teacher in South Korea. It was a fantastic experience, and taught me quite a lot regarding what teachers manage on a day-to-day basis. I learned that I could be a great teacher as a lifelong career, but I don't have the passion for it like I do for medicine. Shadowing a podiatrist and researching the field was enough to convince me that this is a field I'd be very happy in!

Hope that helps! Good luck :)

Wow, it's good to know I'm not alone. You guys have amazing stories! I started undergrad as a father and graduated in 2012 with my Chemistry B.S. I have a good career, but I don't feel fulfilled. I worked in Kingwood Hospital for four years (started from valet, ended up working in radiology) and loved helping people feel comfortable during their rough patches. I even had patients write about me in "thank-you" letters they'd send after they went home. Honestly, that was a very good feeling: knowing you made them feel comfortable enough that they though about you when they got better. I met some podiatrists there, but (unfortunately) didn't keep the connections. It turns out they have a podiatry residency program. I'm going to call them to see if I can shadow a resident!

Good luck to all of us!!

Reactions: 1 user