Anyone have a weird study method like the one I use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty sure I have a pretty odd study method. When I'm actively studying and/or answering questions via anki or whatever, I verbally answer the question out loud. I guess this isn't that weird, but I do so in a hardcore, ghetto black voice. I sometimes drop the N-word, curse words, or just overly accentuate a stereotypical accent. For whatever the reason, the more ghetto I talk, the better I retain the information. Obviously I can't do this in front of other people, but it seems to work very well when I'm alone.

Anyone similar or know why this method works so well?

lmao

So, the more exaggerated, the more risque or taboo breaking something is, the more it gets your attention.

This is why dirty jokes are easier to remember than clean ones, and why the best mnemonics are a little naughty.

If it works for you, keep doing it. In private.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this is ridiculous, and also amusing. I see your "urban" accent and raise you one valley girl.

Reactions: 1 user
So, the more exaggerated, the more risque or taboo breaking something is, the more it gets your attention.

This is why dirty jokes are easier to remember than clean ones, and why the best mnemonics are a little naughty.

If it works for you, keep doing it. In private.

So what your saying is, if I talk about autonomic receptors like I'm about to do dirty, depraved, lock-them-in-a-basement and do illegal sexual acts upon them...I'm going to never forget anything about them.

I had better close my windows so my neighbors don't hear.

Reactions: 1 user
If there's a contraindication to a drug or something, I'll write "AWW HELL NAW" next to it in my notes if that counts for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm pretty sure I have a pretty odd study method. When I'm actively studying and/or answering questions via anki or whatever, I verbally answer the question out loud. I guess this isn't that weird, but I do so in a hardcore, ghetto black voice. I sometimes drop the N-word, curse words, or just overly accentuate a stereotypical accent. For whatever the reason, the more ghetto I talk, the better I retain the information. Obviously I can't do this in front of other people, but it seems to work very well when I'm alone.

Anyone similar or know why this method works so well?

The method works well because the thought is novel. For instance, if you were walking around your university would you be able to remember what clothes everyone was wearing? Most likely no. Now let's say there was a person running stark naked around your university. You will definitely remember him or her because it was unusual/strange and thus a novel thought.

My techniques use visual imagery where I would imagine ridiculous or exaggerated scenarios. For instance, if I was trying to remember citrate from biochemistry, I would image a guy trying bite into a lemon or lime and chewing on it (citrus fruit + ate it = citrate). It leaves a sour taste in my mouth imagining it also. However, it works really well.

This is why thinking of something funny, weird, gross, etc. works well because it leaves that lasting impression on you.

Last edited: