Anyone have any info/opinions about the Austin, Tx residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted284725

There's hardly any info on the Austin residency online outside of their website, and there are no residency or interview reviews in the sticky. I was hoping to hear some other people's perspectives on the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt even know they had an EM residency. I can tell you that its the most sought after city in Texas. I am sure the residency is poor from a clinical standpoint atleast until the medical school start to ramp up.

It looks like a new residency. Looking at the resident profiles, and not to be sexist/predjudice to Osteopaths, but there sure seem to be alot of women residents and DOs......

Most competitive programs do not have such a resident demographic

Members don't see this ad :)
Location-wise, you can't get much better than Austin in the South. However, from what I've heard from individuals that rotated there, the clinical side seems to be lacking. They bounce around 5 or so different hospitals, which may be a plus for some that want a greater variety of clinical sites during residency, although personally, I didn't care for that. Also, during their interviews, they seem to focus more on living in Austin more than the actual program. That being said, I'd probably brag about the city of Austin, too, if I was the PD there. Obviously, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am neither a resident there, nor did I rotate there. Keep asking around.

I didnt even know they had an EM residency. I can tell you that its the most sought after city in Texas. I am sure the residency is poor from a clinical standpoint atleast until the medical school start to ramp up.

It looks like a new residency. Looking at the resident profiles, and not to be sexist/predjudice to Osteopaths, but there sure seem to be alot of women residents and DOs......

Most competitive programs do not have such a resident demographic

Bahahahaha. Please give specific examples of how the # of female residents correlates to "how competitive" a program is...or on the flip side show me how all these competitive programs have fewer women simply because they are "competitive."

FYI I like much of what you post and I'm not pulling a sexiest card or anything like that...but is this comment for realsies?

Bahahahaha. Please give specific examples of how the # of female residents correlates to "how competitive" a program is...or on the flip side show me how all these competitive programs have fewer women simply because they are "competitive."

FYI I like much of what you post and I'm not pulling a sexiest card or anything like that...but is this comment for realsies?

From my experience, women esp who have family or want kids goes into programs that are less demanding. This makes sense, and I applaud them for this. I would too if I was a woman and was choosing a residency with family in mind. I hear this often. This is just another reason why I think this program is likely clinically poor as 7/8 2016 grads are women. If this was the graduating class from Parkland or LA county, I would have no problem with it.

I am an intern at UT Austin EM and our program is awesome. Great faculty, great residents, great PD and great training. All this despite the fact that there are women in our program (seriously dude???). I was a competitive applicant and ranked Austin number 1, as did pretty much all of my classmates.

Reactions: 3 users
I apologize for any hurt feelings. I am sure this program will produce many good doctors. I will retract my female remark as I do not want this to be inflammatory. I stand by my thoughts on the numbers of DOs, non medical school environment, and lack of other residencies.

This will change when the med school opens up. Its just not there.

Next thing you know Austin will even have a black trainee. You know the quality of education is low if you can get through it speaking Ebonics...

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize for any hurt feelings. I am sure this program will produce many good doctors. I will retract my female remark as I do not want this to be inflammatory. I stand by my thoughts on the numbers of DOs, non medical school environment, and lack of other residencies.

This will change when the med school opens up. Its just not there.

No need in retracting them. Be honest. I think it's a bit sad though in regards to women as well as DOs.

Texas attending here and plugged into some of our states academic stuff; I work some at an academic program in Houston. Nothing wrong with the Austin residency program. I personally know several of the residents there and they have had positive experiences. The most recent graduation class went into a number of competitive fellowships or found the jobs of their choice.

If you think this program has problems, you are fooling yourself!!

They do push leadership and political involvement and hope to become the premier place for that in Texas.

Austin as a city is a plus or minus, depends on who you ask. More 'liberal' than other parts of Texas and higher cost of living, but has tons to do and for Texas, the countryside is pretty...

Also, as someone that has been out several years and have done it all (private county hospital, EM program county hospital, busy private place, rural place, EMS, and free standing ERs).... I think the rotating around at multiple sites is a good thing and not a bad thing!

Good Luck...

I interviewed there for the first class and definitely "drank the koolaid" as it were. I believe I ranked it my highest 3 year program (don't really remember) and would have been very happy had I matched there. The facilities were good, the staffing was great, the attendings were _very very excited_ to be recruiting and most had significant academic experience at other institutions. The PD Todd Berger is a Kings County/SUNY Downstate graduate, and was enthusiastic to be spearheading a new program. The SIM center was RIDICULOUS. Ward upon ward of sim men-women-children-pregnant. There's a helicopter (does that mean something?).

And I know it's a really small thing, but all the faculty came on the tour with us. Late in the season! They were so engaged and ready to promote the program. It made an impression that they actually cared, as some places seem like they're doing you a favor to interview you.

I can't speak for how it is now, but the preliminary was good three and a half years ago.

-not a Texan

As as attending at this program, clearly I'm biased.

So at this point in time, we've graduated one class. In my opinion, we did pretty well with them: 1 Peds fellowship, 1 Sports Medicine fellowship, 1 Disaster fellowship, 1 International fellowship, and 4 community jobs. Everyone who applied for a fellowship received their top choice.

I think the longitudinal experience of all 3 years rotating through the county site, community site, and pediatric site is exceptional. Personally, I would've loved the opportunity (and I graduated from UTSW-Parkland). In addition, they have the opportunity in all 3 years to rotate through the Medical Center at the Circuit of the Americas during our events (F1, X-Games, Le Mans, and Moto GP).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

And for what it's worth, our program has the only Resident member on the Texas College of Emergency Physicians Board of Directors. In case you were wondering, the resident is female and is a DO.

Sorry....one last thing....I'm a little perplexed about the comment of "lack of other residencies".

The other residencies that are in place are: IM, General Surgery, FM, OB/Gyn, Neurology, Dermatology, Pediatrics, PM&R, and Psychiatry.

We've had a longstanding affiliation with UTMB-Galveston and have plans to continue this relationship. But yes, I won't deny that we are extremely excited about the construction of the Dell Medical School and the increased opportunities this will create for Central Texas.

I'm a 3rd year resident at Austin, and I can't say enough good things about my experience here. Highlights - We are a community based hospital (as of now, but this will partially change with the medical school being built). We have 40+ beds at our main site, which is in downtown. They are divided into a high acuity and lower acuity area, and you have shifts in both. It's the "county" hospital and the only level 1 trauma hospital within over an hour radius of the city. We also work at 3 other sites, which are about 10 minutes away (and 1 month 45 min away). One is more of a private hospital with, older, more medically sick patients. The other is the children's hospital, which is the only level 1 pediatric trauma hospital in over an hour radius as well.

We have 8 residents per class, and we are like a family. We all know and support each other. We accept DO residents, so as long as you are very competitive, it doesn’t matter where you are from. Our DO residents are some of the most intelligent applicants nationally (MD or DO). I am offended by comments about women in my class, none of which are pregnant nor have children, but I will not go on with a monologue here.

We are a faculty dependent ED because of the number of residents we have, so you get a lot of time one on one with attendings. We don't have an anesthesia residency or an ortho residency, so all airways and reductions are yours unless you need help. It's awesome and our faculty love to teach. For all trauma stats, the trauma team joins us in the ED. The ED residents always get the airway, and we go back and forth on chest tubes and such. Nothing is super structured in terms of who gets what and our relationship with the surgery residency is very strong.

In terms of rotations, we have all of the standard rotations (trauma surgery, ICU, OB, Anesthesia, EMS, etc). Things that set us apart in terms of rotations: we have 4.5 months of Peds ED throughout our 3 years, we spend 4 months in the ICU (not sure if this is standard these days), we do not do internal medicine, we rotate through the PICU, MICU x2, and SICU. With anesthesia, we spend part of our time with peds anesthesia. We have an admin rotation, ortho rotation (where you are "their resident"), 2 elective months (you can go anywhere and do anything), a month of tox, a month of ultrasound, and we spend a month at a hospital in a more rural setting.

Other pros - protected time for conference (every Thursday 7-12), Sim every month, we go to a conference every year (interns TCEP, 2nd year SAEM, 3rd year ACEP), usually 1-2 weekends off on ED months, and Dr. Berger (our PD) is accessible 24/7.

Cons – there are none in my opinion. I am going into community medicine, so the setting we work in is perfect for me. We are not very research heavy but half of the class above me went to fellowship and 2 of my class are planning to this year.

This is a ton of information, but I hope it's helpful. Please feel free to PM me if you have more questions.