Anyone have any pros and cons about Salus/PCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nimsss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading good and bad things about this school. Just wanted to get yalls opinions so I can decide if I really want to apply to this school. Any feedback is good feedback :)

Members don't see this ad.

Based on my own research, PCO pros and cons:

Pros
  • relatively low tuition/other expenses compared to the other schools I'm looking at
  • attached to another university (sort of) which I think is a plus because there's more student life to get involved in
  • it's somewhere new to me, I'd rather be somewhere new than somewhere familiar for optometry school
cons
  • time-consuming/expensive for me to travel back home
  • Philadelphia as a city doesn't seem to be going on an upward trend (though this could be completely off the mark)
I'm not done researching, and clearly these are factors that may not matter to everyone, but this is what I've got.

Currently a student here, I do like it here and have some more things to say, feel free to send me a pm for some more details. Also to add on to what SunA21 mentioned, the location is decent, definitely not the best but not the worst neighborhoods around. Generally lots of old folk but overall pretty mellow/safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition is not low compared to the other schools, and having the school become part of a larger university has weakened the OD program in the opinion of several people with whom I have spoken. There is not much socializing between the programs. Philadelphia, on the other hand, has a lot to offer. It's a major metropolitan area. The school itself is in a nice area, but you also have to consider that it means a higher cost of living.