Anyone have less than 3.3 GPA and less than 20 DAT got accepted? I need some hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist_dude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have less than 3.3 GPA and 20 or less DAT and got accepted to Dental school please comment below to give hope for the average students who will be applying in 2016

Members don't see this ad.

There is definitely hope. Graduated in 2011 with a 2.9 gpa so I ended up taking a lot of science classes again as an "informal postbac" . Now my 4.0 from the post bac is averaged in with the 2.9 which makes the number a bit better..

I got accepted this year to 2 schools on Dec 1.

Apply early if you can.... Submit in June. You'll thank yourself later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There is definitely hope. Graduated in 2011 with a 2.9 gpa so I ended up taking a lot of science classes again as an "informal postbac". My QR sucked and brought my AA down to under a 20.
I got accepted this year to 2 schools on Dec 1.
Apply early if you can.... Submit in June. You'll thank yourself later.

What was your final GPA after your postbacc?
I'm currently at a 2.9 as well and trying to figure out if i should just do postbacc or Masters!

@Toothachee101 I went the masters route personally. I had a 2.7-2.8 coming out of undergrad trying to decide my next step. After speaking with a TA about my options he recommended a masters program just because worst case scenario, if i wasn't accepted into dental school then I'd at least be left with a higher degree as opposed to a postbacc. It made sense so I took his advice and found a grad program in the biomed sciences that really seemed to fit me. The school was entirely different from my undergraduate university which is what I needed personally. The new learning environment really allowed me to grow academically and I ended up with a 3.9.

My DAT scores were pretty decent across the board except for QR which was under a 17 which is why my AA wasn't over a 20. Going into the exam I knew that I wasn't ready for that section yet. I could've used more time to prepare but it was late in the year and I couldn't put it off anymore.

@britdontlovem advise is sound. If you can apply early then do so. Take the DAT before applications even open if possible, but if things don't necessarily go to plan then that's fine too. I took my DAT in mid October which meant that my application wasn't fully completed until early November (they were in to the schools already but they were still waiting on the DAT score). I was fortunate to receive some invitations post December and got my first acceptance this past Friday. There are a ton of schools that of schools that I haven't heard back from at all though, and that likely due to my application getting in so late.

If you put in the work and you'll be fine. Talk to someone in the career services department at your school and plan out the route that will best fit you.