Anyone have one bad semester and....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
still get accepted into vet school? Just wondering because I just switched my major to pre-vet and I am currently struggling to get through the classes that I took before I really knew what I wanted to do as far as college goes. I'm worried that this may ruin my chances at getting into a vet school. I'm a freshman attending U of MN Duluth. Is there a chance this wont affect me too much since I am a freshmen and its still early?? I think I will finish this semester off with a few Ds and possibly an F! not good I know but I was unmotivated and unsure of what I wanted to pursue in college till now. Hope all this makes sense! Thanks for your help...

Members don't see this ad.

Enger said:
still get accepted into vet school? Just wondering because I just switched my major to pre-vet and I am currently struggling to get through the classes that I took before I really knew what I wanted to do as far as college goes. I'm worried that this may ruin my chances at getting into a vet school. I'm a freshman attending U of MN Duluth. Is there a chance this wont affect me too much since I am a freshmen and its still early?? I think I will finish this semester off with a few Ds and possibly an F! not good I know but I was unmotivated and unsure of what I wanted to pursue in college till now. Hope all this makes sense! Thanks for your help...
:( I decided that it would be smart to take 17 quarter units all on tuesday/thursday my first quarter in college (university level straight out of high school) and work Monday, Wednesday and Friday......BAD IDEA (I graduated with a BS in animal science/prevet sciences) My first quarter GPA..............hmmmmmmmmmmm 2.7 I worked my @s! off to fix that GPA and ended with cumulative 3.59 last 90 units 3.9. I got into more than one school (after ALL wait lists my first year applying). So it can be done if you are persistant (and make sure you do a REALLY good job of explaining what happened and proving you can handle the work. I am in my second year of vet school (almost to third year) and am doing good. :rolleyes:

Hey, I had a 2.88 my first semester here at Penn State (17 credits-including a C in Inorganic Chemistry). I've had to work hard for the past few years, but as of now it looks like I'll be graduating with around a 3.6. That first semester came up in a few interviews, but, as long as you're able to rebound the next semester you'll be able to put a positive spin on the situation (i.e. that Chem course taught me how to buckle down and study). I've gotten into a few schools this year, so it's definitely possible to come back from a poor start.
Good luck,
Andrew

Members don't see this ad :)
Enger said:
still get accepted into vet school? ....

Well, let me point out the obvious ;) ...the better you do now, the more time you can save in the long run if you know vet med is the career you really want to be in...
I got kicked out of school for bad grades (and illegal pranks buts thats another story)...I had about a 2.1 GPA after my first two years. I got back into school, worked about 30 hours a week, took 21 credits each semester, and took all the hard bio science classes for five semesters. My overall GPA ended up 3.1 but I gained much more valuable information and memorable experiences thru independence and my outside non-vet work (most psych research and community volunteering) than thru school. I worked in a biomed lab at a university for 4 years and I then went to grad school for a Masters degree and finished with a 3.8 GPA. Afterwards, I applied to Vet school (vet school wasn't my initial career choice until I entered my master's program) and got into a few schools. Remember, grades are very important, but don't forget the world outside of school where you can learn so many fascinating things, meet interesting people, and most importantly gain valuable life experience, even if they are not vet related...
and many vet schools admissions committees put weight on these non-vet-related life experiences too...

I've got the same story as ghostsamurai almost...tons of real world experience, owning a business, working in the real world as a tech for 2 years, lots of extra-curicular that wasn't done "just because". Horrible GPA, non-bio major candidate (computer science) which tortured my cummulative, C's and B's in all my chem classes. What made up for it? Clinical experience (4500 hours and counting), awesome recommendations, >90% on GRE and MCAT. You can definately get into vet school with a less than stellar academic record as long as you show you have what it takes and your prioritize your life according to what is most important.

I got rejected to 9 schools probably based on GPA alone, the one school I interviewed at is a top 6 school, and I was accepted a week after. You can do it if you really want it =)