Program-Specific Info / Q's Anyone hear anything from NYU or Columbia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karixel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I think it might have been around this time the last few years that people started getting admitted into NYU and Columbia. Anyone hear anything yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Just sent them (NYU) an email asking if we should be hearing back soon. I'll let you know what they say!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard back yet! But they don't usually sent out letters until March/April.

Here's what they sent me:

"Thank you for your interest in our program. Applicants are usually notified of their status in mid-March. If an applicant is wait-listed, final decisions can be made as late as July/August."

Meh, guess we will have to wait a little bit longer!

I didn't hear anything yet. They probably don't send out acceptances till March/April. It's still early.

These are my first and second choice schools and I'm dying to know...the wait is the worst.

I thought I saw some posts of people getting accepted late Feb. Guess we'll have to wait more haha

I got the preliminary review of my application for Columbia University sent to me this evening...I hope this means decisions will be sent out soon. :)

Last edited:
I received an acceptance email from NYU today! Very exciting!! Anyone else??

Reactions: 1 user
I received an acceptance email from NYU today! Very exciting!! Anyone else??
Congrats!! But this makes me super anxious and worried because I didn't receive anything today.

Were any of you invited for an interview at NYU? I'm still waiting to hear from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
Were any of you invited for an interview at NYU? I'm still waiting to hear from them...

NYU doesn't conduct interviews. If someone heard back today though, then the rest of us should be hearing back within the next couple of weeks.

It's exciting, yet nerve racking!

Got the pre-req checklist (preliminary review) from columbia! So did my sister...Anyone else? I think we should all be hearing VERY soon.

Was also emailed an acceptance to NYU on Monday 3/3! Haven't heard anything from Columbia, I guess ya win some and ya lose some? haha

Pretty sure I'll go to NYU -- haven't heard back from my other three schools: Columbia, SUNY Downstate (had an interview on 2/17) and Seton Hall.

Is anyone else who was accepted to NYU thinking they'll go there?

Was also emailed an acceptance to NYU on Monday 3/3! Haven't heard anything from Columbia, I guess ya win some and ya lose some? haha

Pretty sure I'll go to NYU -- haven't heard back from my other three schools: Columbia, SUNY Downstate (had an interview on 2/17) and Seton Hall.

Is anyone else who was accepted to NYU thinking they'll go there?
Congrats on your acceptance erniedukes89! Do you mind sharing your stats?

T
Congrats on your acceptance erniedukes89! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks Mangoflow64!

I graduated from Gettysburg College in 2011 as an English major with a 3.25 GPA.I took all of my prereqs after graduating, so my prereq GPA was much higher: 4.0. I had roughly 400 volunteer hours spread out between a private pediatric clinic, an OT summer camp and bilingual geriatric center.

Does anyone know if all the acceptance decisions for NYU were sent out already?

Does anyone know if all the acceptance decisions for NYU were sent out already?
Hi Karixel, I actually spoke with NYU admissions yesterday (regarding my transcripts and other issues). They told me they are sending out acceptances all throughout this month. So no, they have not sent them all out :)

Hi Karixel, I actually spoke with NYU admissions yesterday (regarding my transcripts and other issues). They told me they are sending out acceptances all throughout this month. So no, they have not sent them all out :)
Ahh this news just made my day! I've been worried all week that they sent them all out that I've been getting nightmares about it :dead:. I guess we'll keep waiting then!

Haha me too actually! But if you look at previous years they heard back at different times too so that's a relief. Good luck!! :)

Good luck to you too!

Thanks for the update! I'm still waiting to hear from them- knowing that other people heard already just makes me more nervous...

Hey guys - First time posting. This forum has been really helpful with my applications, and I am thrilled I am able to finally contribute!

I heard back from NYU on 3/2 (Monday) evening with an acceptance email. They also sent me a reminder email on Friday. Nothing in snailmail, but I have had a few instances where communication sent from the school wound up in my junk folder. I am wondering if the reason I heard back so early is because my last name begins with a B, and maybe they are done alphabetically. For those who are waiting to hear back, keep in mind that most schools will communicate during weekdays/ office hours. As hard as it is, try not to get discouraged over the weekend. Hopefully they will be sending out another batch of emails tomorrow :soexcited:.

Congrats on your acceptance thunderwing!
Yes, I hope they do another round tomorrow and hopefully I am in it this time >____< *fingerscrossed*.
Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, around what time did you receive your email? I'll probably be checking my email incessantly tomorrow lol

Hey guys - First time posting. This forum has been really helpful with my applications, and I am thrilled I am able to finally contribute!

I heard back from NYU on 3/2 (Monday) evening with an acceptance email. They also sent me a reminder email on Friday. Nothing in snailmail, but I have had a few instances where communication sent from the school wound up in my junk folder. I am wondering if the reason I heard back so early is because my last name begins with a B, and maybe they are done alphabetically. For those who are waiting to hear back, keep in mind that most schools will communicate during weekdays/ office hours. As hard as it is, try not to get discouraged over the weekend. Hopefully they will be sending out another batch of emails tomorrow :soexcited:.

Mangoflow - I'll be hoping for the best for you!

University- Small private University
Major- Psychology
cumulative GPA- 3.975
pre-req GPA- 4.0
Volunteer- about 130 hours in peds, hand therapy, and in a skilled nursing facility
Extra: I also owned a non-profit for three years and was creative director of another for three years. Both took up a lot of time, and their missions were somewhat in line with OT. I've been a yoga teacher for a while, and work for a foundation that provides yoga therapy for individuals with disabilities. At school I'm a member of a few honor societies, teach yoga for the recreation department, and tutor (APA writing style, anatomy & physiology I & II, research methods, and a few psychology classes). I took time off between getting my associates degree and re-entering school in order to travel, volunteer, and get certified in a few things. If you want more info please feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Forgot to put the time- it was around 6 PM on 3/3, but apparently some had heard earlier in the day!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just to add some more reference for you guys, I received my acceptance email around 12:15pm pacific time, so 3:15 NYU time. My last name starts with an M, so I don't think they're sorting alphabetically, but perhaps by submission date? Or maybe just completely randomly, it's hard to say. My acceptance email came to my regular inbox, but the second email with a welcome video filtered into my "promotions" folder in gmail. So definitely check all your folders just in case! Fingers crossed that tomorrow is your day! :)

NYU is definitely sending out another batch of emails today. I read somewhere else that someone got accepted today by email. Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: Oops, I misread. It's for the Ph.D program, not the masters.

Last edited:
I am waiting on Columbia, my first choice. I sent an email to them today to inquire. If anyone heard- let me know.. going a bit crazy waiting!

I am waiting on Columbia, my first choice. I sent an email to them today to inquire. If anyone heard- let me know.. going a bit crazy waiting!
Hi SunnyDee37. Has Columbia gotten back to you? I am waiting as well :/ I would ask but I feel like I have bothered them one too many times already lol.

Nothing. I called and emailed. 4.0 GPA and nothing....

Nothing. I called and emailed. 4.0 GPA and nothing....
Yeah they are probably very busy right now. Have you received the pre-req check list (preliminary review) for your app? When I had questions about this, Brenda was pretty quick with responding.

No- I called about that- thinking that could get the ball rolling.

BTW- I also applied part-time, I would hope that puts me at the end of the list after they fulfill their full time . Maybe that is the only issue- Ill keep ya posted.

Got my rejection letter from nyu today... A little confused

A.L.L I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Was it by email or mail?

I just got a rejection email. Kind of shocked- 3.96 gpa, with 4.0 in prereqs. No idea what their looking for :cryi:
I guess it's for the best- How's everyone else doing? Still waiting to hear from Columbia, Downstate, and Touro

Chochie, I am shocked especially with those stats! It seems like a lottery to get into OT school nowadays :(. No idea how they are choosing either! I have a 3.6 GPA and I have no idea what to expect...

I just found out today I got into NYU, apparently they had 600 applicants for 50 spots. I have a hard time believing that there isn't a huge element of luck to be honest. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!

I just found out today I got into NYU, apparently they had 600 applicants for 50 spots. I have a hard time believing that there isn't a huge element of luck to be honest. Best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear!
Congrats OT412! :) I agree, there are way more than just 50 qualified applicants. So yes, it's a bit of luck. But maybe they look for something specific in an applicant's essay or rec letter which they found in your app so good for you! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats OT412! :) I agree, there are way more than just 50 qualified applicants. So yes, it's a bit of luck. But maybe they look for something specific in an applicant's essay or rec letter which they found in your app so good for you! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks so much Mangoflow64! I don't mind sharing at all. My overall gpa was about 3.5, prereq gpa about 3.7 depending on the school. I had 45 shadowing hours, and I was lucky to have the opportunity to work in a lab in my undergrad university's OT program and be included on a published paper, which I expect is what they noticed.

I honestly didn't think I would get in with my average gpa and hour count, so they clearly are looking beyond the stats, I hope you guys get good news soon!

Thanks so much Mangoflow64! I don't mind sharing at all. My overall gpa was about 3.5, prereq gpa about 3.7 depending on the school. I had 45 shadowing hours, and I was lucky to have the opportunity to work in a lab in my undergrad university's OT program and be included on a published paper, which I expect is what they noticed.

I honestly didn't think I would get in with my average gpa and hour count, so they clearly are looking beyond the stats, I hope you guys get good news soon!
Your stats look great, congrats again! And thank you, I hope to hear back soon! :)

To give anyone waiting a timing reference, I just got my Pre-req checklist today from Columbia. I'm not sure if its alphabetical, as I am at the end of the alphabet. It's Spring Break next week, I guess we all get break from obsessive forum checking. :)
:ninja:

To give anyone waiting a timing reference, I just got my Pre-req checklist today from Columbia. I'm not sure if its alphabetical, as I am at the end of the alphabet. It's Spring Break next week, I guess we all get break from obsessive forum checking. :)
:ninja:

That's interesting. Maybe they are actually going alphabetically. I got my checklist about a month ago and my last name starts with A.

I've seen people get the prelim/admin review in November so I don't what to think of all of this

My wife was "complete" in Novemberish but I don't know when she started the application.