anyone hear of a jobless or broke doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone ever hear of a jobless or broke doctor? anyone ever hear of a doctor who lives poorly or couldnt pay his/her loans. anyone ever hear of a med student drop out after M3 and if so why, anyone ever hear of someone drop out of residency?

I will tell u 2 cases i know and heard of:

On Oprah a while back she had a show on figuring out what to do with your life or something of that sort, there was this 3rd year ortho surgeon resident female or quite all ties with medicine and dropped out of residency to make shoes.

On first day of med school we watched a true story of a pediatric neurosurgeon just out of residency who got HIV just by giving cpr to a sufficating baby in the hospital she works at, she was off her shift like on the way to her car.

Any other stuff anyone have to share?

Members don't see this ad.

somebody's exaggerating.....:rolleyes:
MD2b20004 said:
anyone ever hear of a jobless or broke doctor? anyone ever hear of a doctor who lives poorly or couldnt pay his/her loans. anyone ever hear of a med student drop out after M3 and if so why, anyone ever hear of someone drop out of residency?

On Oprah a while back she had a show on figuring out what to do with your life or something of that sort, there was this 3rd year ortho surgeon resident female or quite all ties with medicine and dropped out of residency to make shoes.

On first day of med school we watched a true story of a pediatric neurosurgeon just out of residency who got HIV just by giving cpr to a sufficating baby in the hospital she works at, she was off her shift like on the way to her car.

Members don't see this ad :)
MD2b20004 said:

Taryn Rose makes very expensive shoes. They're like $400 a pair. I seriously doubt she's hurting or that the shoe business was a "step down" for her.

Wasnt there some medical student from Hopkins who graduated with a MD/PhD that decided to open a burrito restaurant instead of completing a residency? Talk about a fat waste of tax payer money.

MD2b20004 said:

Ask Kinetic

X.O. said:
Wasnt there some medical student from Hopkins who graduated with a MD/PhD that decided to open a burrito restaurant instead of completing a residency? Talk about a fat waste of tax payer money.
For real ? Wow, talk about a waste of all these years...

sacrament said:
And you know, I would love to hear the other side of that story.

so would I, he implied that he had worked everything out...but he sure does spend a lot of time on SDN for a workin' man. I mean, I'm on here a lot, but I'm just an M1...that's not even a full step above beer-swillin' ugrad frat boy...

I think it's hilarious that I dominate your lives this much. Unfortunately for sacrament, you are unable to hear the other side of the story. Of course, that's irrelevant, since you would believe pretty much anything that was in opposition to me, regardless. In other words, your plea for the "other side of the story" isn't really a question to figure out what REALLY happened -- it's you asking for someone to say something bad about me so that you can believe it.

As for velocypedalist, I don't believe that I had implied that I had worked everything out. However, being as I'm removed from the situation, it's effectively worked itself out.

MD2b20004 said:
anyone ever hear of a jobless or broke doctor?

My boyfriend's parents have a female doctor friend who moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. The only job she could find was moonlighting in the Pahoa hospital for $10/ hour (yes, thats ten, not one hundred). She eventually decided to fly over to O'ahu on the weekends and moonlight in a Honolulu hospital. The round trip tickets cost about $100 but she was making that as an hourly wage over there.

Aside from that, yes, my mother has several friends she went to medical school with who made poor decisions, and who aren't making much money or progress towards paying off their loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
yposhelley said:
My boyfriend's parents have a female doctor friend who moved to the Big Island of Hawaii. The only job she could find was moonlighting in the Pahoa hospital for $10/ hour (yes, thats ten, not one hundred). She eventually decided to fly over to O'ahu on the weekends and moonlight in a Honolulu hospital. The round trip tickets cost about $100 but she was making that as an hourly wage over there.

Aside from that, yes, my mother has several friends she went to medical school with who made poor decisions, and who aren't making much money or progress towards paying off their loans.

Like how did they make bad decisions. (Made bad investments, got into too much debt on stuff like car loans, home loans, etc??) Just wondered what were the bad decisions?

Paws said:
http://www.tarynrose.com/aboutus/

Holy ma-goly! 20 million dollars in sales ain't nothing to sneeze at ... :eek:

"Formally trained as an orthopedic surgeon, Rose saw patients with many serious foot problems that were caused by fashion footwear, high heels and pointed toes. Being a lover of beautiful footwear, her own feet ached after 14-hour days in shoes with three-inch heels."

WTF? Female docs wear 3" high heel 'fashion footwear' for their long-ass shifts??

thats why she never finished her residency , she was more into her looks... u can see how serious she was about medicine doing surgery with 3 inch heals, and why the hell will someone go to college for 14 years and no finish the last one to two years even if she wanted to make a career switch at least be a full fledge ortho.

MD2b20004 said:
thats why she never finished her residency , she was more into her looks... u can see how serious she was about medicine doing surgery with 3 inch heals, and why the hell will someone go to college for 14 years and no finish the last one to two years even if she wanted to make a career switch at least be a full fledge ortho.

Ever done a surgical residency? Not exactly a walk in the park. And why waste another year or two if you know you'll never practice...

kinetic said:
I think it's hilarious that I dominate your lives this much.

haha, yeah... let's see, I thought about you for about 30 seconds around the time I saw that post. Another 60 seconds or so for this one. So that's 0.1% of my day. You're right, that's too much.

your plea

I'm BEGGING I'm BEGGING PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME THE OTHER SIDE!
hahaha, I know what the other side is: everybody in the entire hospital hated your freaking guts, from the residents to the nurses to the patients. That's the other side.

sacrament said:
haha, yeah... let's see, I thought about you for about 30 seconds around the time I saw that post. Another 60 seconds or so for this one. So that's 0.1% of my day. You're right, that's too much.

I didn't say you think of me a lot, stupid; I said I dominate your life. Those are two different things, but apparently your weak mind is incapable of wrapping itself around that fact. You're so wrapped up in me that any topic that could possibly refer to me must inevitably to so. Were I to do this, one would call me narcissistic -- but you're doing it, which means you're obsessed with me.

sacrament said:
I'm BEGGING I'm BEGGING PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME THE OTHER SIDE!
hahaha, I know what the other side is: everybody in the entire hospital hated your freaking guts, from the residents to the nurses to the patients. That's the other side.

Ah, so without knowing the other side you know it. Does that not prove my contention? As usual, I am right and you're predictable.

MD2b20004 said:

How did a doctor get HIV by giving CPR to a suffocating baby? The baby threw up blood into an open cut on the docs mouth? It's pretty unusual for HIV to be transmitted in saliva and then the doc would have to have an open sore or cut in her mouth...

seth03 said:
i saw that oprah...she didn't quit because she hated her job, but she quit so she could focus more on building her shoe company.

She's making more than all the orthopods she did residency with combined. Smart girl.

sacrament said:

yup, clearly dominating your life

sacrament said:
everybody in the entire hospital hated your freaking guts, from the residents to the nurses to the patients. That's the other side.

now why would that have been?

Why, it's another person who knows the other side of the story before they know the other side! Bravo! Not only that, but they know which side of the story to believe, too! They're so smart!!! :laugh:

Giving My .02 said:
Like how did they make bad decisions. (Made bad investments, got into too much debt on stuff like car loans, home loans, etc??) Just wondered what were the bad decisions?

They didn't sign up for a contract, they were just free lancing at hospitals rather than getting a permanent job. Don't worry, you have to be pretty low on common sense to make such a move. Nevertheless, there ARE people who do it.

kinetic said:
Why, it's another person who knows the other side of the story before they know the other side! Bravo! Not only that, but they know which side of the story to believe, too! They're so smart!!! :laugh:

if you'd like to set us straight you're more than welcome.

velocypedalist said:
if you'd like to set us straight you're more than welcome.

That's a clever argument, at least in kindergarten. Make a claim and then demand that the person DISPROVE it. "You're ugly and that's that ...unless you post your pic!" Good logic, stupid!

kinetic said:
That's a clever argument, at least in kindergarten. Make a claim and then demand that the person DISPROVE it. "You're ugly and that's that ...unless you post your pic!" Good logic, stupid!

that's what I thought. I only speculate because you're so damn evasive about the damn thing.

And I can only speculate that you have a small penis because you refuse to provide public photos. :laugh: Liberal logic in action!

I really can't figure out what you two are arguing about.

I know an MD/PhD, numero uno in his class at univ. of washing. st. lo., who teaches at nursing school...never did a res.....the man received an award from Pres. Clinton himself....makes you wonder....guy just teaches at a nursing school....no research whatsoever...no med. no nothing...what ever floats his boat right....

yposhelley said:
I really can't figure out what you two are arguing about.
i say again: i'm lost. can someone explain the 'first' side of the story before we start cryptically internet arguing about the 'other' side? that way, we can all join in / pile on / sympathize / whatever. thanks in advance!

joselind said:
i say again: i'm lost. can someone explain the 'first' side of the story before we start cryptically internet arguing about the 'other' side? that way, we can all join pile on / sympathize / whatever. thanks in advance!

I'd love to know the 'first' side, but the only person with first hand knowledge has been uncharacteristically tight-lipped about the whole thing.

Actually, that's patently untrue. In fact, it was already discussed in depth in my absence during my banning (the Dark Ages of SDN). However, given that people like sacrament and you already "know" both sides of the story and which side is "right," there really is no point to elaborate. In other words, as previously stated, this isn't about "bringing out the evidence so we can weigh both sides of the story in an impartial manner" but about "letting us hear the other side of the story that we already know is the right side." What's my motivation again? :laugh: Like I said, if the best you can do is to level a charge and then demand that I DISPROVE it, you have the logic of an ape.

Awfercryinoutloud, velocypedalist, kinetic, sacrament - go flame each other with PMs or something - we don't care.

Offhand I know 3 around docs who didn't do (or didn't finish) residencies, but rather went into nonprofit work (ED of a small org., ED of a largish org, lobbying). One got an MPH after (or during?) his MD, another got an MPA, and the third went straight into nonprofit stuff, although I think he had a master's in poli. sci (went into some sort of lobbying). I'm sure they don't make _tons_ of $, but they're not starving. I know several docs who have done the locum tenens thing, but it was always just temporary (i.e., while taking a year off to spend time with a kid, or waiting to find out about a permanent job).

I definitely know a few who don't make tons of $ (don't have a big house, send kids to public school); they're mostly working in the inner city (one's outpatient IM, another's a podiatrist, another a pediatrician). But, I think they're cool with that - they knew what they were getting into when they decided where they were going to practice. The one I talked to about salary (outpatient IM) said she made $80-90K a few years ago, but her loans were paid for by National Health Service Corps.

I have the feeling that truly broke, destitute doctors are pretty few and far between.

MD2b20004 said:
anyone ever hear of a jobless or broke doctor?

i know some docs that are essentially jobless because they lost hospital privileges.

kinetic said:
Actually, that's patently untrue. In fact, it was already discussed in depth in my absence during my banning (the Dark Ages of SDN). However, given that people like sacrament and you already "know" both sides of the story and which side is "right," there really is no point to elaborate. In other words, as previously stated, this isn't about "bringing out the evidence so we can weigh both sides of the story in an impartial manner" but about "letting us hear the other side of the story that we already know is the right side." What's my motivation again? :laugh: Like I said, if the best you can do is to level a charge and then demand that I DISPROVE it, you have the logic of an ape.

actually I never heard both sides of the story during your banning, I heard wild speculation...just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak

Elpis said:
i know some docs that are essentially jobless because they lost hospital privileges.

I've read about some (recent AMSA New Physician magazine issue, I think), but never met any.

An addition though: a friend's father is a surgeon (forget what kind). He was injured in a car accident such that he doesn't have much stamina and can't stand for long periods of time. He could continue in surgery, but only part-time, and malpractice insurance ended up being too expensive to make it worth his while. Not sure what he's doing now, but I don't think they're terribly hard up.

daria said:
a friend's father is a surgeon (forget what kind). He was injured in a car accident such that he doesn't have much stamina and can't stand for long periods of time. He could continue in surgery, but only part-time, and malpractice insurance ended up being too expensive to make it worth his while. Not sure what he's doing now, but I don't think they're terribly hard up.
that's really sad

there's some anes. in neighboring towns that had drug problems. they don't practice anymore. and i know of a pediatrician pedophile that doesn't work anymore. he actually tried to OD in a hotel, was revived, and went to jail. after jail time, he never went back into medicine

i also know a doc that was a resident at a hospital at the time his son came into the hospital--drowning accident. the son died, the husband never forgave his wife (who was supposed to be watching the child at the time), and the husband divorced his wife. he continued medicine, but he had a hard time with it emotionally

my family friend is a doc that was working at the time his son came into the hospital after a drunk driving incident (the son was killed by a drunk driver). his practice was also a lot harder. he continued to work as well, but i think his hours tapered off shortly after the incident

joselind said:
i say again: i'm lost. can someone explain the 'first' side of the story before we start cryptically internet arguing about the 'other' side? that way, we can all join pile on / sympathize / whatever. thanks in advance!

If you do a search you can look it up. I would summarize, but Kinetic will explain if he wants to air his personal life.

I'm not stopping others from discussing it; I just don't find any motivation to discuss it again for the sole purpose of having sacrament and velocypedalist say, "...of course the truth is that he was raping people and beating children." Also, I note ol' Caverject headed for the hills after starting all of this up.

kinetic said:
I'm not stopping others from discussing it; I just don't find any motivation to discuss it again for the sole purpose of having sacrament and velocypedalist say, "...of course the truth is that he was raping people and beating children." Also, I note ol' Caverject headed for the hills after starting all of this up.

If you don't care, then I'll fill in the others on the bare skeleton from what I read in the back issues of the SDN Enquirer.

Kinetic was in a surgery residency. He didn't like the standard of care shown by the EM department, which seemed to be something everyone felt, but nobody would do anything about for political reasons. He threw a big fit over it. He's no longer with that residency.

That's correct except for the "surgery" part.

kinetic said:
That's correct except for the "surgery" part.

Really? How odd, I thought that was the case. BTW, I hope you get another residency or something lined up. Limbo sucks.

MoosePilot said:
If you don't care, then I'll fill in the others on the bare skeleton from what I read in the back issues of the SDN Enquirer.

Kinetic was in a surgery residency. He didn't like the standard of care shown by the EM department, which seemed to be something everyone felt, but nobody would do anything about for political reasons. He threw a big fit over it. He's no longer with that residency.

Ah, thanks for explaining. This is the source of all the conflict? I think I'll go back to watching E True Hollywood story.

Hey, I ain't the one bringing it up -- blame the Three Stooges (Caverject, sacrament, and velocypedalist). I mean, Caverject posted the "ask kinetic" line SOLELY to tie me into this thread and then ran off like a big pu$$y.

kinetic said:
Hey, I ain't the one bringing it up -- blame the Three Stooges (Caverject, sacrament, and velocypedalist). I mean, Caverject posted the "ask kinetic" line SOLELY to tie me into this thread and then ran off like a big pu$$y.

and with such tact and amenity I can't imagine why your criticisms weren't taken in stride :rolleyes:

velocypedalist said:
and with such tact and amenity I can't imagine why your criticisms weren't taken in stride :rolleyes:

I never claimed I was tactful, ******. Read the posts before you make your idiotic comments. Sorry I have expections from people; I know that shocks and disappoints you.

kinetic said:
I never claimed I was tactful, ******. Read the posts before you make your idiotic comments. Sorry I have expections from people; I know that shocks and disappoints you.

He never claimed he was shocked and disappointed, ******!

Status
Not open for further replies.