Anyone heard anything good/bad about WPI (worcester polytechnic institute)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedSchlHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hu guys! Anyone heard anything good/bad about WPI (worcester polytechnic institute) for undergrad years? I'm thinking I have a good shot getting into that (they have like a 95% EA acceptance rate!!! :thumbup:), and it did make Newsweek's top 100 at #62... plus I like the atmosphere there, and I think I would be happier there than anywhere else that I have a chance at getting into. Would that look better than, say, Umass or some other state school when it comes time to apply to med schools? Please no automated replies about schools and how they don't matter, etc. Assuming you had the same GPA and MCAT at both a state school and WPI, would the WPI look better? Thnx!

EDIT: I also was wondering, have you heard anything good or bad about the school in general? Did people like it? Did it prepare them well for the MCAT? Was there any serious grade deflation or weird graduation requirements? etc....

Members don't see this ad.

Hu guys! Anyone heard anything good/bad about WPI (worcester polytechnic institute) for undergrad years? I'm thinking I have a good shot getting into that (they have like a 95% EA acceptance rate!!! :thumbup:), and it did make Newsweek's top 100 at #62... plus I like the atmosphere there, and I think I would be happier there than anywhere else that I have a chance at getting into. Would that look better than, say, Umass or some other state school when it comes time to apply to med schools? Please no automated replies about schools and how they don't matter, etc. Assuming you had the same GPA and MCAT at both a state school and WPI, would the WPI look better? Thnx!

Thats the only answer you will get. It has been beaten to death but it's true. Lets all say it together now...."Your Undergrad doesnt matter!"

And the differences between a state school and WPI are minuscule, when it comes to admissions they are non existent. If the difference between MIT and random state school is small in the eyes of adcoms you better believe the difference you're looking for does not exist.

Never heard of WPI. However, I also rescinded an Honors program + $16,000 scholarship from Miami to attend a small LAC in the Midwest that no one has heard of, either. :laugh:

Basically, you need to find out:
1) which one offers majors and courses you might be interested in
2) financial aid
3) quality of student housing and food
4) class size - will you feel lost and uncomfortable in a 300-person class? Do you want your profs to be readily accessible?
5) more personal things, such as distance from home if you see yourself going home a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an ex-girlfriend who goes there. The last I knew (way back in the day) she enjoyed it. That's the best I got.

Worcester's a rat maze - I don't know about living there. I do like how the campus is gated off though...very elitist looking. :laugh:

If you're looking for a technical institute, I vote for RPI. Better reputation and they're making some incredible renovations on campus. They have the most powerful university super-computers in the world, too. That's a fact, jack.

If you're looking for a technical institute, I vote for RPI. Better reputation and they're making some incredible renovations on campus. They have the most powerful university super-computers in the world, too. That's a fact, jack.

I'd pick RPI too (based on reputation).

Hmmmm....... I've heard of RPI before, but I'd like to stay in MA/RI (where I have family)... plus with the super-low men:women ratio, I think that would up my chances, right? :confused: Not to mention, with only 23% women and the rest men, I'll probably have my pick of boyfriends!!! :laugh: j/k

Hmmmm....... I've heard of RPI before, but I'd like to stay in MA/RI (where I have family)... plus with the super-low men:women ratio, I think that would up my chances, right? :confused: Not to mention, with only 23% women and the rest men, I'll probably have my pick of boyfriends!!! :laugh: j/k
Yeah, but they are all gonna be pimply geeks with light sabers, keep that in mind.:laugh: :smuggrin:

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, but they are all gonna be pimply geeks with light sabers, keep that in mind.:laugh: :smuggrin:

You think?!?!!?! That sounds too good to be true!!! Just my type! Geeky AND pimply! Lucky me! :rolleyes: haha J/k :laugh:

RPI has the same ratio! With a little more women though...In any case, if you'd like to stay in MA, then WPI would be ideal for you. I just think RPI has its advantages.

EDIT: I also was wondering, have you heard anything good or bad about the school in general? Did people like it? Did it prepare them well for the MCAT? Was there any serious grade deflation or weird graduation requirements? etc....
I did all my undergrad at WPI, and I LOVED IT! The professors care, they are amazing, the classes are tough, but I learned A LOT! They also have an amazing project based curriculum which gets you involved in labs and research in your sophomore year. You have so many opportunities to develop amazing relationships with your professors and advisers. I've attended a couple other schools since I have graduated, now doing my own postbach for med school, and no school yet has even come close to WPI. It really is a special place and if you can get in good for you. The way they have the classes set up too is really great. I highly enjoyed the October vacation, much needed break halfway through the semester. Private message me if you have any other questions.

Go to UMass, save a ton of money, and get a great science education with research opportunities in anything you want. UMass is becoming more and more respected every year and you'll be glad you don't have a ton of undergrad debt. Also Worcester is ugly.