anyone heard from these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IamTomRiddle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maricopa Medical Center
UCLA/Oliveview
U of I - Chicago
Boston Medical Center
Jacobi/Montefiore (Albert Einstein)
New York University/Bellevue Hospital Center

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Maricopa--the coord. told me today that they would be sending out invites this week or next.

U of Chicago--the director called me last Friday, basically to say that I had a great app, but that people from Kansas don't generally go to Chicago. I really felt that the guy was rather rude, so I'm not too disappointed that he probably won't be offering me an interview. Someone else mentioned on another thread that they had been called.

Thanks for the reply. Sad to here about U of Chicago (although I was actually asking about U of I at Chicago). Why wouldn't Kansas people move to Chicago? That's weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what the Chicago means is that he thinks people from a public med school like Kansas aren't good enough for his institution, and also coming from another public school like Kentucky, I think that's a bunch of crap. I didn't apply to Chicago, but hearing something like that said to another student would make me think about withdrawing from there if I had. That's just a ridiculous thing for any program director to say.

To offer some balance to the U of C program director impressions above- I actually got exactly the opposite vibes from him- I talked to him at ACEP in Seattle & I actually found him to be absolutly the nicest director that I met the whole week. I also come from a public university & I did not at all get the feeling that he was a snob. We have to go on our gut reactions, but mine was that UofC is a really, really cool place with cool people- ww

Hmm...

I don't think that we have a predominance of private school representation. I'm also don't think we are geographically restricted. We even have representation from "university of kentucky." (I would keep from jumping to conclusions) Please refer to the following link to see where we all come from.

http://www.uchicago.edu/bsd/emmed/2000/fr_resid.html

jaydoc -- I'm sorry that you were offended because you weren't offered an interview -- I don't know what the specifics are behind your application, but I can tell you that our program is pretty competitive with more applicants than can be interviewed -- I am impressed, however, that my program director actually called you to let you know -- I didn't even realize that he did that -- from my experience, oh so long ago, I only got impersonal regrets in the form of an email or a letter from programs that didn't offer me an interview -- who knows, maybe he was scoping you out to see if you were truly interested in the program and the phone call was your opportunity to express this interest -- in any case, good luck with the residency application process.

James Rhee
PGY 2 -- University of Chicago Emergency Medicine

I should clarify...

Actually, he did not tell me that they would not interview me. He called me from his house, to see (as jawurheemd suggested) why I wanted to go there. He asked me if my wife wanted to live in Chicago or I had family there, and basically seemed awestruck by the fact that I chose U of C for its merit (and the fact that Chicago would be a nice enough place to live). He indictated that my app was good enough to get an interview, but that U of C didn't want to waste its interview slots on applicants that weren't totally committed.

As far as my conversation with him, I do feel that he seemed rather abrupt and confrontational, which naturally makes me a little less interested in visiting U of C. On the other hand, I am sure that U of C is a top notch program, otherwise I wouldn't have applied in the first place. Oh well, such is life...

Hey, I also remember meeting the program director from U of Chicago. He seemed very friendly. I bet he was seeing if you were really interrested in coming to Chicago or just applying to the 20-25 programs to ensure enough interviews. You have to remember the multitude of apps these guys get. Not only do they want to interview the best applicants, they want to interview the best applicants that will attend their program.