Anyone here of Arabian or Persian descent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supraman

Boston Celtics
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you put on your application under ethnicity? Is it under other then list accordingly? I am confused :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's more info than you will want- but I found it interesting when it was shared with me. Caucasian is a widely used term now for peoples with Middle Eastern, European, and Western Asian decent. It actually originated as a term to describe those Western-Asians who lived near the Caucasus Mountain Range- found in Armenia. Iran borders Armenia. Though adapted today as a politically correct label for "white"- it more specifically applies to a large mix of people who are/were geographically near the Eurasian border (Western Asian-Middle East-Eastern Europe). Yes you are more Caucasian than anyone. Most of my Middle Eastern friends hate this and prefer to identify themselves as belonging to a minority instead of Caucasian.+pity+ Soon nobody will be able to play the race card because everyone does.:laugh:

i put white....thats what we are...not asian!

Yep, I'm middle eastern and I put down "Caucasian" or "white". We're not an underrepresented minority, thus we're classified under the "white" category.

Deep down inside you know what you are though...Just be in accordance with what they give you :)

We are considered white when it comes to app's :cool:

im persian

and to be honest with you, when persians are compared or are put in the same category of arabs we iranians find that insulting. :beat:

sorry but its true

Vice-versa, buddy.

Yep, I'm middle eastern and I put down "Caucasian" or "white". We're not an underrepresented minority, thus we're classified under the "white" category.

Deep down inside you know what you are though...Just be in accordance with what they give you :)

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as being a caucasian. Now that I think about it, AADSAS has the most random races as selection options. They have options for: Guamanian, Chamorro, Samoan, native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian, etc. but absolutely nothing for the Middle Eastern, African, Northern African regions. HOW BIZARRE. What does one put if one is from Guyana, Ghana, Morocco or Egypt? Would that be "black"? AADSAS needs to update their geographic options for ethnicity.

Last edited:
What do you put on your application under ethnicity? Is it under other then list accordingly? I am confused :confused:

Why don't you check "Asian" and specify under "Other Asian" where you can specifically enter your country of origin. That would seem to make the most sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middle Easterners are considered Caucasian. It's what I put on my ACTs, college apps, etc.
and as far as i know, if you're from a Northern African country, then you would label yourself as being African American.

and to gsx gsm, you seriously had to bring back a three year old post just to say that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here in the US, most Arabs, and the overwhelming majority of Iranians are considered white or Caucasian. The Arab ethnicity is mainly an ethnolinguistic affiliation based on Arabic, so Arabs can be of any race virtually (similar to being Hispanic or Latino, and at the same time Asian, black, white... etc.)

I for example am an Arab, but I am classified as "Black or African American" because I am Sudanese and I have African (though mixed) ancestry, mainly because I am a native speaker of Arabic, and sort of a Classical Arabic enthusiast.

Sorry to rehash this...but..what if you are Egyptian American, put down African American, show up to the interview and don't fit that profile, and then what would happen? Would you be looked down upon like you lied on the app?

Also, not all Arabs are Asians. 1/2 of the Arab nations are in Africa. And being "Arab" is not solely based on if you speak the language of Arabic..."being an Arab" is labeled based on a tribe, not originally a language although that's the case today...

I wouldn't put down African Americans. That seems dishonest; I'm pretty sure they are referring to dark skinned African Americans. It's your call though.

Im persian, I put down caucasian. I actually think I left it blank bc either way im not going to be considered a minority

my birth certificate says caucasian........bc thats technically what were "classified" as.....even though we dont necessarily look white...& my names very persian/middle eastern

Im persian, I put down caucasian. I actually think I left it blank bc either way im not going to be considered a minority

my birth certificate says caucasian........bc thats technically what were "classified" as.....even though we dont necessarily look white...& my names very persian/middle eastern

lol uhhh I know LOTS of persians who look VERY white.

kos mikham

Reactions: 1 user
middle eastern here.... I put down white cause I didn't fit any of the other categories.

and tehassan ~ you put down "white" my friend... read the last line from the instructions bellow

Here are the AADSAS instructions for the race card:

Ethnicity and Race
Many schools want to know more about your background. Providing information about your ethnicity and race requires answering a two-part question: First, you must indicate if you consider yourself to be of Hispanic origin. Second, you may select the racial classification(s) that you use to describe yourself. You can select one or more racial classifications. Within some categories of race, you are also asked to specify your ethnicity (e.g., Asian Indian, Cambodian, Chinese, etc.). Select any classifications that you use to identify yourself.

Consider these definitions when selecting your ethnicity and race.

• Hispanic or Latino
    A person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
    A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) who maintains cultural identification through tribal affiliation or community attachment
  • Asian
    A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian Subcontinent, including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam
  • Black or African American
    A person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
    A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands
  • White
    A Person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa

lmaozedong1--I know! Agreed, i meant to say not all persians look really white! some you would look at and know theyre from the middle east based on their features
but for the most partt, i just get called italian....wompwomp

& dentalworks ur persian?! My sdn crush on you just grew even more
ahahahaaaaahaha

lmaozedong1--I know! Agreed, i meant to say not all persians look really white! some you would look at and know theyre from the middle east based on their features
but for the most partt, i just get called italian....wompwomp

& dentalworks ur persian?! My sdn crush on you just grew even more
ahahahaaaaahaha

But Italians are also white.lol

omgosh i know!! everyone i mentioned is considered white!!! Im just saying!! stop ganging up on me!!!

This is the first time I have ever heard anyone refer to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as being a caucasian. Now that I think about it, AADSAS has the most random races as selection options. They have options for: Guamanian, Chamorro, Samoan, native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian, etc. but absolutely nothing for the Middle Eastern, African, Northern African regions. HOW BIZARRE. What does one put if one is from Guyana, Ghana, Morocco or Egypt? Would that be "black"? AADSAS needs to update their geographic options for ethnicity.

"Ironically, it was Arab Americans themselves who originally petitioned the government to be categorized as white. When the first wave of Arab immigrants arrived in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, they struggled to be recognized as white so that they could gain citizenship and other rights, such as voting and owning land."

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=87932e5f600086f93be8b029e4a6ff40

I m 50% Iranian and 50% Italian. When I apply I was thinking of checking other Asian and specifying myself as Iranian. I guess not anymore?

I m 50% Iranian and 50% Italian. When I apply I was thinking of checking other Asian and specifying myself as Iranian. I guess not anymore?

nope... according to AADSAs... you are "white"

you are?? didnt know this !
me too!

boro baba man irani hastam. enghad kosocher nagoo.

dirooz shab, dashtab ye kosi mikardam. kheili khoob bood.

javid shah!

iraniha bayad ba ham bashan!

Its funny eh!! when you wana apply for citizenship or visa for US or even board a plane we are middle eastern / Iranian. When you wana apply to a pro school, all of sudden we all become white. Mass confusion. :D

Sorry to rehash this...but..what if you are Egyptian American, put down African American, show up to the interview and don't fit that profile, and then what would happen? Would you be looked down upon like you lied on the app?

Also, not all Arabs are Asians. 1/2 of the Arab nations are in Africa. And being "Arab" is not solely based on if you speak the language of Arabic..."being an Arab" is labeled based on a tribe, not originally a language although that's the case today...

I don't think it matters whether you put African American, White or Caucasian as long as you mention that you are from Egypt. I am Egyptian, and I put down African American. I still got interviews and acceptances at my top choice schools. I don't think the admissions really care about this item. They care more about the contents of your application and your stats.

May be it matters to schools that consider minorities, which I did not apply to. In this case, I think if you put down African American without showing that you are Egyptian in any section of your AADSAS application such as country, citizenship, personal statement then this might be a problem in your interview since the admission committee might be expecting to interview a black candidate.

I don't think it matters whether you put African American, White or Caucasian as long as you mention that you are from Egypt. I am Egyptian, and I put down African American. I still got interviews and acceptances at my top choice schools. I don't think the admissions really care about this item. They care more about the contents of your application and your stats.

May be it matters to schools that consider minorities, which I did not apply to. In this case, I think if you put down African American without showing that you are Egyptian in any section of your AADSAS application such as country, citizenship, personal statement then this might be a problem in your interview since the admission committee might be expecting to interview a black candidate.

All schools look at race to some degree. If you fill out the African American box, they are expecting you to be African American, not North African, since the White box includes North African.

I would tread carefully here. I read some posts on the M.D. forums about some guy who put down AA since he was "white" and from "south africa." Needless to say he got rejected at every school he went to interview at.

Affirmative action does help in admissions and people that try to "cheat" the system...well it doesn't bode well for the applicant. Everyone knows what is meant by the term "african-american, native-american, and hispanic." To play that card that "I'm African-american since I'm originally from south Africa (even though my heritage is chinese)"... or perhaps "I'm hispanic since I was born in Peru...but I'm full chinese...." is playing a dangerously risky game.

If you do try to play the system, I would prepare myself in case it DOES backfire. Like I said, we all know what is meant by "african-american, native-american, and hispanic." To try to work the system, well I'm assuming it just doesn't look good at all. Trying to get in through special means even though you aren't qualified for those means at all.

P.S. I applied as Asian/Pacific Islander hehe

Last edited:

Glad you got accepted, but what worked out for you might not workout for others.

If your skin color is "white", don't put AA, it makes you look like you don't know how to read/follow directions.

Black or African American

lol yup Justwantdds, I didnt know you were either :-D awesome!

All schools look at race to some degree. If you fill out the African American box, they are expecting you to be African American, not North African, since the White box includes North African.

I totally agree with you. That's almost what I said "I think if you put down African American without showing that you are Egyptian in any section of your AADSAS application such as country, citizenship, personal statement then this might be a problem in your interview since the admission committee might be expecting to interview a black candidate"

Again, I agree that all schools look at race to some degree..Schools who consider the affirmative action will take race strongly into consideration to benefit the underrepresented groups, while schools who do not consider affirmative action might not care much about race or ethnicity..etc

I would tread carefully here. I read some posts on the M.D. forums about some guy who put down AA since he was "white" and from "south africa." Needless to say he got rejected at every school he went to interview at.

Affirmative action does help in admissions and people that try to "cheat" the system...well it doesn't bode well for the applicant. Everyone knows what is meant by the term "african-american, native-american, and hispanic." To play that card that "I'm African-american since I'm originally from south Africa (even though my heritage is chinese)"... or perhaps "I'm hispanic since I was born in Peru...but I'm full chinese...." is playing a dangerously risky game.

If you do try to play the system, I would prepare myself in case it DOES backfire. Like I said, we all know what is meant by "african-american, native-american, and hispanic." To try to work the system, well I'm assuming it just doesn't look good at all. Trying to get in through special means even though you aren't qualified for those means at all.

P.S. I applied as Asian/Pacific Islander hehe

Let me be honest with you and tell you that I personally did not know the exact meaning of African American since I recently came to the US, and I have never studied or experienced these terms before. I really blame the non-U.S. education systems for not teaching us these stuff! When I came to the U.S., I was more worried about improving my English language and communication skills more than the American History..

Glad you got accepted, but what worked out for you might not workout for others.

If your skin color is "white", don't put AA, it makes you look like you don't know how to read/follow directions.

Black or African American

Thanks and yes what worked out for me might not work out for others..that's why I used "I think, I don't think, may be it matters..etc" and I did not confirm anything or saying if you are Egyptian, put AA..

I have a very dark skin, and if I put white it would have made me look like I don't know how to read/follow directions. I do not consider myself black as well, so my best option was to check the "Black or AA" option since I considered myself AA. If there were other options such as Middle Eastern or North African, I would have definitely used them..

by the way, I called AADSAS regarding this matter..the lady told me "put AA if you have dark skin or put white if you do not have a dark skin"..then she continued.."we always have the same exact question from Egyptians" lol

by the way, I called AADSAS regarding this matter..the lady told me "put AA if you have dark skin or put white if you do not have a dark skin"..then she continued.."we always have the same exact question from Egyptians" lol

So what AADSAS is saying is that if I have a dark skinned Egyptian father and a light skinned Egyptian mother, I would have a huge advantage if I gained my father's dark skin genes by chance?

I love how this system system works the more I learn about it.......:thumbdown:

I'm surprised there haven't been any huge racial profiling story about this in the New York Times or Post. Because really, isn't America becoming more and more mixed? I think its getting ridiculous to differentiate everyone so blatantly and drawing people on one side or the other.

i have a spanish last name, which originates from spain, but my family has been here since forever. I also have a white mom(amish origins). But my grammy is cuban. Whats that classify me as

i have a spanish last name, which originates from spain, but my family has been here since forever. I also have a white mom(amish origins). But my grammy is cuban. Whats that classify me as

Go with hispanic. No one's going to look into your family history or anything as long as you can explain it. If you look the part, then go with it. If you can speak spanish, even better.

Where are you born? If you are born here in US, you are white

Even though Spaniards are white people, I'd go with Hispanic in this case b/c it's only going to help you.

Yay for race loopholes making it easier to get into school.

Thanks EgyptianDentist. I dont think most ppl realize that in the US Arabs are consideed a minority because many Arabs will put either White, Black/African American, or Asian American depending on their skin tone vs. their race/heritage/ethnicity.

BTW remember Egypt IS in Africa and there are many dark toned Egyptians that could potentially pass as traditional African American based on how they "look."

Thanks EgyptianDentist. I dont think most ppl realize that in the US Arabs are consideed a minority because many Arabs will put either White, Black/African American, or Asian American depending on their skin tone vs. their race/heritage/ethnicity.

BTW remember Egypt IS in Africa and there are many dark toned Egyptians that could potentially pass as traditional African American based on how they "look."

Not for dental school purposes.