Anyone in PsyD debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gto5point7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I started a thread about making a decision between the University based-PsyD program I already accepted an offer to and looking at other options because of the debt issue. I got some great advice here as well as from a few acquaintances I have with PsyD's themselves. However, they did not deal with the debt issue to the extent that many do today. I am wondering if there is anyone here who has recently graduated with a PsyD and is currently dealing with serious debt (100k+). I wonder this because I really would like to get that perspective before I make a final decision.

Members don't see this ad.

I am NOT in that position, but I recently chose not to attend a program in the fall because I was uncomfortable with that amount of debt.

I was really excited about going to school in the fall, but the more I thought about the numbers, the harder it got. I had always assumed psychologists made more money than they do. I thought that's WHY people took on this huge amount of debt--as if the PsyD would pay for itself. But in general, the money is just not there (at least according to my arbitrary standards). I found the BLS web site to be helpful, and even salary.com for more localized salaries.

In my opinion, $100k is a LOT of money in debt. There are a lot of things I can do with that much money, and based on my understanding, it will take a LONG time to pay that off. The loan is a long commitment in so many ways that I couldn't justify it for myself.

The reality check: now I'm just working, no school in my immediate future. Not thrilled with my current work situation but not quite finding a better one. Not sure if I can get into a funded program next year, not sure if it's worth that effort. Often contemplating a career change. And sometimes, that's hard.

But probably, I think about having a little more lifestyle freedom and a lot less debt and a lot of choices, and for me, so far anyway, I think it's worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
There were lots of PsyD's (and PhDs from professional schools) on the APPIC listserv last month complaining about the size of their debt and the hardship that it causes them once they get out onto a rough job market. I've pasted most of the debt-specific e-mails here (with names removed), including a few that are quite eye-opening:

FRUSTRATION
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm frustrated. Many of us did not partake in APA accredited internships as there are not enough of them. However, more and more post doc sites are requiring that applicants be from APA accredited internships. How are we supposed to get a post doc? Have I just wasted 4 years and over $100,000.00? - DC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi DC,
Don't feel badly. I am at an APA accredited internship site and still can not find a job or post-doc. I can definitely sympathize and I too feel like I have just wasted 6 years and $150,000.
- L
Out of interest as someone who does APA site visits and does doctoral training, could I hear from some of you who have large loans as to whether is is the result of purely doctoral training or doctoral training plus undergraduate training and what is the proportion of each? It is a worry that students accumulate such large amounts, over $50K, by the time they
finish.
- HJH
In response to your question about debt. Yes, by the time I graduate this upcoming June (yeah!), I will be looking at $150,000 in debt. In addition, I still owe 10,000 from my undergraduate degree. Many of my school colleagues were fortunate enough to have family that could help foot some of the bill, or managed to work in addition to being a full-time student. Like many others, I am not able to benefit from family contributions. I eventually got a part time job, but have counted largely on financial aid for tuition, living expenses, and to pay for other school related expenses (dissertation, etc).
I am about $120,000 in debt, only about $20,000 is from undergrad, the rest is graduate school and internship. I do understand the frustration concerning finding post-docs. I was lucky enough to find one immediately after graduating but it wasn't an exact match to what I wanted. However, it has given me the supervision needed to take the EPPP and get licensed. Also, once you have a job and feel a little less stressed about finding a job, it is so much easier to find other options. While at my post-doc, I have been offered several jobs in the areas of my particular interest. Hope this helps!
- S
I also have a ton of debt, primarily from grad school- about $120,000, and about another $10,000 from undergrad. The majority of it was from paying for grad school tuition and getting extra money to live on (in addition to working outside of the program).
- NM
Hello,
I wanted to express that I hear much of what people are reporting here from the trainees that I have at our site. $100,000 plus in debt,
heading out into a rough market. I think another issue is that for a number of people, they've put their lives on hold during graduate school, and many marry, start families and/or purchase housing shortly after graduate school, which increases the financial stressor during the transition from student to professional.
Someone asked the question of why APPIC Fellowship sites are beginning
to require APA internships as a pre-requisite. We have an APPIC
Fellowship and currently do not require an APA internship. However,
this year for our 1 position, we received 28 applications. I take
approximately 2 hours to review each application for Fellow candidates.
Our site also receives approximately 100 applications for MA
internships, MSW internships, doctoral externships, annually, for 8-10
positions in that general category. All of these come to us between
January and March. From a DOT perspective, it's quite a labor intensive
process to review applications. As this relates to Fellow candidates,
in order to decrease the number of applications and increase the
relative quality of those applications reviewed, I've considered
requiring an APA internship as a pre-requisite. I haven't done it yet,
for the very reason stated, that there are some exemplary candidates
who, for whatever reason, did not match to an APA site.
- MSZ
I have over $130,000 in loans, purely as a result of my doctoral
education.
- G
Regarding the loans issue: I'm over $130,000 by the end. This is completely
due to loans during grad school accrued for tuition and some to supplement
living costs (we didn't take any personal loans, just the extra from my
Federal loans). I've noticed a huge difference in loans between myself who
attended a private university and my fellow interns who went through a state
school. They have way less.
I agree-I had to rely on student loans to cover expenses during graduate school. I had no debt prior to graduate school and my degree cost me $157,000. I'm trying to pay off $831/mo. in addition to a $7,000 loan that wasn't eligible for consolidation. I was lucky in that I got a job following graduation instead of a post-doc to help afford this but it is beyond daunting. Especially having one loan vulnerable to increasing interest rates.I love what I do but I wonder if it would have been better to follow a different career path that wouldn't have killed me financially. Sadly, this is the standard cost of the education I received at my school and I think prices have risen since I graduated.
I also accumulated 125,000 in loans from just graduate training. I eesentially make a mortgage payment to sallie mae each month and I am still on a 30 year payment plan to rid myself of my loans. The low pay of APA accredited internship and post-doc made this all the more challenging as I had to defer payments and use a credit card to finance my move to another state where I was matched not to mention traveling for interviews etc.
- SW
hi,
i'm in about $120,000 from grad school and $30,000 from undergrad - all from a combination of school-related expenses (tuition, fees, texts, traveling for interviews, psychotherapy required by our doctoral program, etc.) and general living expenses (bulk goes to rent, bills, food, etc).
-jkl
I am finishing my internship this year and after undergraduate and
graduate school have accumulated 100,000 dollars in loans. I have
approximately 25,000 from undergraduate and 75,000 from graduate
training. This makes the post-doc requirement difficult since those
loans begin to come due and we are making essentially an internship
salary if we are lucky.
I attended an APA-approved state university PsyD program. I was never allowed to have in-state tuition status for the six years of school and had to pay out-of-state tuition. I have accumulated over $100k in student loans for the master's and doctorate (and I had to get loans during Internship, because I interned with an $18,000 salary outside of NYC where the cost of living was very high). And still having to wait to accumulate supervised hours, I make less money now than I did before I started grad school.
I also have over $100,000 in debt strictly from graduate school federal
loans which I have had to defer for the past year and a half as I have not
yet found a postdoc or a position that pays enough to allow me to repay my
loans, even with an APA-accredited internship. I also worked at least one
job during graduate school and sometimes two. It's nice to know I'm not
alone in this, but I wish that there weren't so many of us in the same
situation! If I could do it again I would have spent time working between
undergrad and grad school to build up savings, but hindsight is always
20/20. Still, I feel what I learned was invaluable, and I look forward to
being able to use it and to be able to pay off my loans one day.
- JE
Hi,
I attended a state school in an area with a low cost of living. I accrued $65,000 of debt (living expenses, texts, fees, some tuition costs), which is consistent with most of those coming from my program. I also accrued significant medical expences $30,000 plus because our program did not cover students of my age (30+) and private insurance was cost-prohibitive. Oh, the life of a student.
- alp
I am 150,000 plus in debt.
120,000 plus graduate
30,000 undergrad.

- R
140,000-Graduate school only
Ph.D
- AF
Certified Educator of Infant Massage :confused:

California School of Professional Psychology
Alliant International University
My current tab is 230k, just for graduate school. I was accepted at a =
school in a very expensive part of the country, and now have tacked on more =
private loan debt so I can possibly do an unfunded post-doc next year (I did not
match through APPCN - I'm in Neuropsych). This despite a 4.0 GPA,
professional work prior to internship, APA-accredited graduate and
internship training (both with specialty neuropsych training), numerous
publications and presentations, supervision with 3 different board =
certified neuropsychologists, and 17 postdoc applications with a wide range of
geographic diversity and good fit. The system is broken - this will not =
stop me from succeeding within it, however
:eek:
My graduate education cost $130,000. That one is definitely going to cripple
my financial future/early career for a while. When I think about that, I
always seem to go back to a conversation I had with an internship
supervisor. He disclosed that the cost of obtaining APA accreditation for a
small intern program was upwards of $25,000. I don't know if that's true or
not. And recently I read an article in the APA Monitor which expressed
concerns about the large number of early career psychologists that
discontinue membership (declines after 5 years post-doc). Of course, one of
the main issues cited was debt.
All of those things together make me pretty frustrated too. Personally, I am
concerned about the lack of advocacy from our organization (APA – I'm a dues
paying member). This may be just my perception, but I remember reading some
of the post-doc and intern salaries and thinking this is outright abusive!
Why can't our organization help with things like that; then just maybe we
early career psychologists will not have so much debt – which help keep up
membership. Cause and Effect!
I am aware that money and merit facilitates one being able to sit at the
"esteemed" table. I have the merit; I just can't afford the expensive
"accredited" seat. Perhaps our organization will increase its efforts to
provide assistance in that regard. I for one certainly hope so!
I am graduating with $187,000 of debt, just from
graduate school. I attended a university near my
hometown, to keep cost of moving to a minimum. I
worked as a waitress and tutor throughout my graduate
career. I attended an APA accredited program but
failed to match for an internship, and I ended up
accepting an unpaid internship position. Luckily, I
had saved about $20,000 through working, so I was able
to use that money to live on during my internship year
and didn't have to take out any more loans. I am glad
that persons affiliated with the APA are showing
concern about this issue. It is obvious that we are
all very
upset about this, and that many of us have questioned
our decision to enter this field. It is a shame that
so many people that would make great psychologists and
help so many people in need are rethinking their
decision to pursue this career. And it is a shame that
this is our reward for attempting to better ourselves
and the world we live in through higher education.
- V
Hello, all:
As one who has been out of a Ph.D. program and is now repaying $130,000 worth of debt, I can attest that it does cripple your financial status for quite a while. The high debt-to-income ratio certainly affects your credit score, which affects your ability to get all sorts of credit, and even commonplace things like getting a mortgage. I watch my psychiatric colleagues earning outrageous salaries for 10-15 minutes of time spent with clients and increasingly see job openings for either a LCSW or Ph.D. In our community near the state capital, child psychiatrists can charge more than $300 per session (10 minutes!!!). You do the math! If I had to do this over again, I would have gone to medical school.

Additionally, most of the insurance panels and credentialing organizations now require three years post-licensure experience in order to join their panels, raising the bar even higher. APA and its lobbying seem to have concentrated on getting masters-level psychologist's licenses, but have not addressed the insurance panel issue.
- PF
Our profession has done an abysmal job of reckoning with the normal market forces of supply and demand. With the advent and proliferation of professional schools of psychology (see above), particularly over the past 20 years or so, the number of doctoral level graduates has far outpaced the number of internship and postdoctoral training positions. I am not intending to offend or sling mud; I'm simply stating a fact. :cool:

- Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, those quotes are certainly horrifying. Often $100 000 in debt? One person at almost a quarter million?

Who would "just assume" that psychs made enough money to cover that sort of debt? That's absolute lunacy.

I'm confused with regards to the PhDs with massive debt. I thought PhDs, even if they weren't fully funded, usually got a decent number of assistantships and whatnot to cover things like tuition and thus really reduce the out of pocket cost of their education. Is this debt mainly from internships, or is there something else I'm missing here?

Who would "just assume" that psychs made enough money to cover that sort of debt? That's absolute lunacy.

I assumed at first. The reason? One of my professors told us in class that grad school required many loans, but that when we were done, we'd have more than enough money to pay them off. He's a clinical psychologist.

These stories are a bit horrifying. Especially for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to begin with. My entire undergrad was done on grants and/or scholarships. Last year I had to take out a loan due to the budget crisis in NJ. They hiked up tuition and didn't raise the grant to meet the new tuition price. Other than that, i'm not used to numbers that high. But i'm not going to let it stop me either. The most it may do is postpone my starting grad school. But I will go, and I will get my Psy.D. and my license.

Wow, that is scary. I will have about a third of the debt listed there when I am (hopefully) done and I'm worried about that. I don't think I could have ever justified that kind of expenditure for anything other than med school. And with the internship issue worsening every year, I really can't see gambling with that much money. Is it just me or does it seem as if these private programs are all in high cost of living areas that worsen the problem?

I think it is important that people understand the debt load that can accrue, though I wouldn't say it is prohibitive in many cases, but it is something to definitely consider.

The current discussion on the APPIC Internship listserv is especially appropriate; right now people are talking about the cost of applying/attending internship (especially in high cost areas), and the relocating costs on top of their current expenses/debts.

I think a higher debt load is going to have a greater influence on the kind of job you can take when you get out. For instance, a community mental health center.....most likely not an option because they are traditionally known for lower pay. There *are* jobs out there where you can make a nice living, but it will probably require at least a 35-40hr job + private practice. I was told to learn to love assessments, because they were a solid way to pay down part/all of your loans each month. (I'm not a fan of assessments, unless I'm using them for my pts, so i'm going a non-clinical route for extra income)

If there was one thing business has taught me.....crunch the numbers BEFORE you do something, not after. I put together a few different projections based on conservative, moderate, and high estimates (principle loan + interest %'s - income/funding/etc), and then plotted each one on a 10, 15, 30 yr payback schedules to get the monthly cost. The final monthly sum was what was going to impact my daily life/lifestyle.

I decided on a 30 yr plan, with the intent on treating it like a 12-15 yr loan, based on repayment + principle payments each month (think real estate), with my principle payment being a % of my net monthly income. I still need to weight the cost/benefit of increased principle payments, considering there are many investment vehicles out there which could/would out-perform the net cost of my overall blended interest rate (~5%) without much trouble. It looks like the fed will lower the rates a bit, so if I could consolidate at sub-6% for my last year of loans, it may be hard to argue pre-payment at that number.

For those who don't work much with compound interest, it can be an interesting exercise in the power of interest and why people pay down principle up front and/or front-load payments, though others may choose to pay the minimum and invest the money elsewhere.

If you consolidate your loans with a 3rd party, PLEASE ensure there is no pre-payment penalty (many places will offer a much lower %, but will require certain payments.....so they either get you up front, or over the course of the loan)

-t

People have made excel spread sheets that automatically compute principle payment effects, so if you know any finance people....it may be worth asking them about playing around with one. The reason why I suggest this is that the interest load you'll pay over the lifetime of your loan can be SIGNIFICANTLY effected by principle payments. IIRC, paying a 13th month each year (whether you pay bi-weekly, 1/12 more each month, or lump sum) can cut your loan repayment period by 6-8 years. Let me see if I can dig up the figures.

The finance forum on SDN should have more info about this kind of stuff.

-t

I'm not certain where most of you are (were) for your PsyD program, but I figured between 55 - 65K for tution and books. Did many of you take out loans to live on? At least, then I could understand the 100K+ loans. Also, this number greatly depends on how long your program takes to matriculate a degree.

A lot of PsyD programs carry $100,000+ in tuition at the end of four or five years.

I was accepted to a PhD program that would have required me to take out at LEAST $160,000 just in tuition loans. (I didn't go, obviously)

A lot of programs hover around $50,000 but quite a few of them are way up there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the Psy.D programs, I know you don't get that much support, but if you did how much did you get and was it helpful?

For the Psy.D programs, I know you don't get that much support, but if you did how much did you get and was it helpful?
There is already a thread on this subject.

There is already a thread on this subject.

...where? I don't recall anything specifically about that. I'd suggest if you redirect someone it's really a lot more considerate to post the link or at least the thread name (especially when the inquiry is by a user who's only made 1 post). There are like 8 pages with dozens upon dozens of threads on each page in the SDN psych archives--not always easy to navigate!

...where? I don't recall anything specifically about that. I'd suggest if you redirect someone it's really a lot more considerate to post the link or at least the thread name (especially when the inquiry is by a user who's only made 1 post). There are like 8 pages with dozens upon dozens of threads on each page in the SDN psych archives--not always easy to navigate!
Why dont you utilize the 'search' option? The thread I was referirng to was right above this one!

I am NOT in that position, but I recently chose not to attend a program in the fall because I was uncomfortable with that amount of debt.

I was really excited about going to school in the fall, but the more I thought about the numbers, the harder it got. I had always assumed psychologists made more money than they do. I thought that's WHY people took on this huge amount of debt--as if the PsyD would pay for itself. But in general, the money is just not there (at least according to my arbitrary standards). I found the BLS web site to be helpful, and even salary.com for more localized salaries.

In my opinion, $100k is a LOT of money in debt. There are a lot of things I can do with that much money, and based on my understanding, it will take a LONG time to pay that off. The loan is a long commitment in so many ways that I couldn't justify it for myself.

The reality check: now I'm just working, no school in my immediate future. Not thrilled with my current work situation but not quite finding a better one. Not sure if I can get into a funded program next year, not sure if it's worth that effort. Often contemplating a career change. And sometimes, that's hard.

But probably, I think about having a little more lifestyle freedom and a lot less debt and a lot of choices, and for me, so far anyway, I think it's worth it.

I'm in the exact same boat. I just got into a $120k PsyD program and am debating declining admission due to looming debt fears. I also dislike my job, am also excited about school, but think there's got to be a better way than paying something off for literally the rest of your life. When I went in for the PsyD interview, I inquired about estimated starting salaries. The dean quoted 40k unlicensed and about 60k as an early career psychologist. I live in California, so after taxes....you can pay about $2 a year on your loans with a $60k salary and Bay Area rent. Yay.

It's funny that something so necessary such as mental healthcare is so financially unobtainable. Here we are hoping for some altruism in our professional life only to be emotionally spent and bill ridden at the end of the day.

I'm in the exact same boat. I just got into a $120k PsyD program and am debating declining admission due to looming debt fears. I also dislike my job, am also excited about school, but think there's got to be a better way than paying something off for literally the rest of your life. When I went in for the PsyD interview, I inquired about estimated starting salaries. The dean quoted 40k unlicensed and about 60k as an early career psychologist. I live in California, so after taxes....you can pay about $2 a year on your loans with a $60k salary and Bay Area rent. Yay.

It's funny that something so necessary such as mental healthcare is so financially unobtainable. Here we are hoping for some altruism in our professional life only to be emotionally spent and bill ridden at the end of the day.
Supply and demand, friend. There is no shortage of psychologists in most non-rural areas, especially in Cali.
That's one reason why I left. High cost of living and extremely competitive market. Now I live where the cost of living is low and the pay is high. :cool:

I'm confused with regards to the PhDs with massive debt. I thought PhDs, even if they weren't fully funded, usually got a decent number of assistantships and whatnot to cover things like tuition and thus really reduce the out of pocket cost of their education. Is this debt mainly from internships, or is there something else I'm missing here?

I realize this message was posted a while ago, but I will add that keep in mind that fully funded PhD program can mean 15-18k per year. Although getting tuition waived is very fortunate, this amount can be difficult to live on despite students' best efforts (particularly in certain areas of the country and/or if there isn't a partner in the mix).

Agreed, just trying to answer the question posed of how a PhD could have debt. I know plenty of people who have had to take out some money to cover the gap between stipend and the full amount of living expenses.

I'll take tuition waivers and 16k+ over no tuition waiver and 20k+ in tuition fees alone any day.
Response from the target audience for the diploma mills, "All that complicated math stuff and statistical analysis required to figure out cost/benefit ratios is too difficult. Besides it's not about the money, I just wanna be a therapist and help people because my friends like telling me their problems."

Response from the target audience for the diploma mills, "All that complicated math stuff and statistical analysis required to figure out cost/benefit ratios is too difficult. Besides it's not about the money, I just wanna be a therapist and help people because my friends like telling me their problems."

I feel sorry for you. I'm in a PsyD for far more high-minded and altruistic reasons: I want to be a psychologist to famous people. It's my passion.

Reactions: 1 users
I have so many questions about what happened in this particular anecdote:

My current tab is 230k, just for graduate school. I was accepted at a =
school in a very expensive part of the country, and now have tacked on more =
private loan debt so I can possibly do an unfunded post-doc next year (I did not
match through APPCN - I'm in Neuropsych). This despite a 4.0 GPA,
professional work prior to internship, APA-accredited graduate and
internship training (both with specialty neuropsych training), numerous
publications and presentations, supervision with 3 different board =
certified neuropsychologists, and 17 postdoc applications with a wide range of
geographic diversity and good fit. The system is broken - this will not =
stop me from succeeding within it, however
:eek:

I know some areas have quite high cost of living (I grew up in one) and unfunded programs can be expensive, but how did they get to $230K in debt for just grad school?

How did they end up not matching anywhere for a neuro post-doc despite what seems (I know there isn't that much detail) to be a fairly good CV?
Is it just the relative scarcity of neuro post-docs?
Is whatever program they attended, despite being APA-accredited (I know it's just the lowest bar), just poorly regarded, which hurt them come match time?
Are BS'ing their CV?
Is there something else I'm missing about clinical programs in general and the neuropsych field specifically?

I feel sorry for you. I'm in a PsyD for far more high-minded and altruistic reasons: I want to be a psychologist to famous people. It's my passion.
Some people come on here and express this business plan. Rich people don't want a psychotherapist; they want to find a med dr dumber than a box of hair who has no problem handing out scripts like halloween candy.

That's one reason why I left. High cost of living and extremely competitive market. Now I live where the cost of living is low and the pay is high. :cool:
I have so many questions about what happened in this particular anecdote:

I know some areas have quite high cost of living (I grew up in one) and unfunded programs can be expensive, but how did they get to $230K in debt for just grad school?

How did they end up not matching anywhere for a neuro post-doc despite what seems (I know there isn't that much detail) to be a fairly good CV?
Is it just the relative scarcity of neuro post-docs?
Is whatever program they attended, despite being APA-accredited (I know it's just the lowest bar), just poorly regarded, which hurt them come match time?
Are BS'ing their CV?
Is there something else I'm missing about clinical programs in general and the neuropsych field specifically?
Palo Alto University is $250k. Crazy, right?

Holy crap :(

How about my questions concerning why they didn't match for a neuro post-doc?
This is just conjecture, but I'm assuming that candidates with a debt load that high are from programs that are not viewed as highly... which then contributed to difficulties matching for postdoc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

This is just conjecture, but I'm assuming that candidates with a debt load that high are from programs that are not viewed as highly... which then contributed to difficulties matching for postdoc.

That's what I figured as well, but I thought I might just be missing something that actual grad students, psychologists, or neuropsychologists knew.

That's what I figured as well, but I thought I might just be missing something that actual grad students, psychologists, or neuropsychologists knew.
I mean, there could be other factors in any particular case (e.g., geographic restrictions, poor letters of recommendation, poor interview, mediocre essays). But if someone is getting 15 interviews they're getting past the initial screen, but not rising to the top of the pile. A school with a poor reputation will only put you at a disadvantage. Not an insurmountable one, but still a disadvantage.

EDIT: Just went back and saw that the prior poster had indicated 17 postdoc applications, not interviews.

This is anecdotal, but I know someone who interviewed at 8ish APPCN sites, some of whom indicated they would rank her highly, but did not match. But she found a position outside of the match fairly easily and, to my knowledge, never considered an unpaid fellowship (nor should she have!).

Last edited:
I mean, there could be other factors in any particular case (e.g., geographic restrictions, poor letters of recommendation, poor interview, mediocre essays). But if someone is getting 15 interviews they're getting past the initial screen, but not rising to the top of the pile. A school with a poor reputation will only put you at a disadvantage. Not an insurmountable one, but still a disadvantage.

Agreed. Getting 15 interviews but not matching would be an anomaly. A relatively poor school reputation can certainly hurt an applicant, but if everything else were solid, I'd imagine they would still be ranked relatively highly somewhere. Although that depends in large part on where they're applying, just how good the rest of the CV looks (including what their neuro experiences have been and, if applicable, how their sample reports look), and how well they interview.

Surreal to see a comment from me 9 yrs ago. I am getting old. It is funny because even in the best position, things are bad when you are in that kind of debt. Pull the hat trick; get the good job, get a spouse with a good gig, and go on income based repayment...you still owe 7-9k per year of post tax income prior to paying for anything else. Hell, I am not even in that much debt and I still have to think about loans when I consider quality of life. I would like to cut down my clinical caseload/ hours so that I am not burned out, but it means that loans will be a bigger chunk of expenses. Decreasing reimbursement means that this trend will worsen and increasing debt means many of those people working 10-12 hr days.

It is definitely a red flag if someone applies to 10-15 match sites and can't get at least a handful of interviews. Keep in mind that there is a sub-set of applicants who will go 0'fer because they just aren't competitive, whether it be their training background and/or program. If someone only applies to places like U of Michigan...I guess a decent app could go 0'fer, but I'd hope they were advised to consider a range of programs.