Anyone interested in creating a SOP editing group?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2rumble1st

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of posts here asking for someone to look over a person's statement of purpose. So, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in creating a kind of SOP editing group? If even only 3 or 4 people are interested, that would enable each person to have their SOP looked over by 4 different people. I imagine there are several people on here in situations where there isn't really anyone available for them to ask to look over their SOP, and this way everyone gets something out of it. Of course, if anyone just wants to volunteer to read SOP's, and isn't applying this cycle, that's fine as well. The more the merrier! So, sound appealing?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm down. It'll be a week or two before I have any sort of working draft of my own SoP, but i'd be happy to offer some thoughts on those of others!

I'm down. It'll be a week or two before I have any sort of working draft of my own SoP, but i'd be happy to offer some thoughts on those of others!

I'm also down to be part of a PS group. And, frankly, I'm just happy to hear I'm not the only one still slaving over my PS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in. I'm still slaving over mine as well, particularly frazzled by having to personalize it to match each school in terms of their question, ideology, research professors etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to look over yours.

Great! I am also still working on my statement, but I'm hoping to have it done by this weekend (yay for Veteran's Day!). If you guys are working on a similar schedule, we can try to exchange statements sometime next week?

Count me in please! i'm nearly done with mine and would like some proof readers

I am interested too... once I actually have a draft written (struggling. :idea:)

I'm definitely interested. As of now, I'm not quite done with mine yet, but I would be happy to read other people's SoP in the meantime, and I actually have some time this and next week so feel free to PM me and I'll give it a try as soon as I can :)

I think this is a great idea. I'd be happy to look over some SOP's and I'd appreciate if anyone could look at mine too. :)

Hey guys I'm def interested! I should have my working draft done in about a week or so, but in the mean time I'm more than happy to help out anyone else!

So maybe we can get an email list going (or just a private message agreement) such that any time one of us comes up with any working draft of our SoP, we can send it to anyone on the email list (or send a private message to anyone in this thread who agreed to help out)?

I'm interested in being in the group too. My SOP should be done in about a week and I'd be happy to look over others' before then. PM me for my email or let us know how we're going to do this.

So maybe we can get an email list going (or just a private message agreement) such that any time one of us comes up with any working draft of our SoP, we can send it to anyone on the email list (or send a private message to anyone in this thread who agreed to help out)?

This sounds like a good way to work things. If people want to PM me with their emails, I'll put together a mailing list. One way to work things would be to send out an initial email, and then people can feel free to send their SoP to as many or as few of the recipients as they want. Any critiques to SoPs can then be made privately (i.e., not via Reply All).

If that seems too complicated, I'm down to also use a private message system. Whatever people think is best/easiest/most useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
An email list sounds like it would work best (for attachment purposes). I'll pm you my email address.

One other thought: what do people think of dividing us up into groups of 5? There's 10 people currently expressing interest in participating, and I'm thinking one person editing 10 personal statements might be a little much (particularly considering how busy most of us are with finalizing applications). If we divided up into two groups of 5, it would also give us the option to do a second round of revisions (if people wanted to). You would just send the revised version to the 5 people you didn't send the original too.

My proposed divisions would be (in order of signing up):

Group 1:
Born2rumble1st
Attackemu
Psychapps
Hmela
Cheeze

Group 2:
Dustycat
Anxiety Psych
Psychology 76
ForensicCK
UhOh

And, of course, if anyone new wants to join, we can just add them to an existing group or start a new one. Thoughts?

An email list sounds like it would work best (for attachment purposes). I'll pm you my email address.

One other thought: what do people think of dividing us up into groups of 5? There's 10 people currently expressing interest in participating, and I'm thinking one person editing 10 personal statements might be a little much (particularly considering how busy most of us are with finalizing applications). If we divided up into two groups of 5, it would also give us the option to do a second round of revisions (if people wanted to). You would just send the revised version to the 5 people you didn't send the original too.

My proposed divisions would be (in order of signing up):

Group 1:
Born2rumble1st
Attackemu
Psychapps
Hmela
Cheeze

Group 2:
Dustycat
Anxiety Psych
Psychology 76
ForensicCK
UhOh

And, of course, if anyone new wants to join, we can just add them to an existing group or start a new one. Thoughts?

Sounds great to me. I was just about to post how I probably would not have time to look at everyone's listed here :)

Tried to PM you, but the system wouldn't let me. My email is my user name, plus at gmail.com

Same here: psychapps has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

I'd prefer to send my email as a PM even though its gmail :)

Since it doesn't look like psychapps can receive PM's, how about everyone just send their email addresses to me, and I'll send the email list out on Sunday (to give people time to check the forum). You can PM me or email it to my user name at gmail.com.

Since it doesn't look like psychapps can receive PM's, how about everyone just send their email addresses to me, and I'll send the email list out on Sunday (to give people time to check the forum). You can PM me or email it to my user name at gmail.com.

Sorry everyone, thought I was set up to receive PMs but I guess I wasn't. Fixed now, but looks like Born2rumble1st has already stepped in to save the day.

Hi guys. I have a working draft of my own that I'm looking for help on. Willing to reciprocate my feedback for others. Can I still join the party?!?!

Everyone who has sent me their email address should have received an email from me tonight! If you didn't get a chance to send it to me before now, you still can but it might take a couple of days to get enough people to start another email list. I know, however, that there's at least 4 people who have expressed interest and didn't send in their emails. So if they do so soon, there you go! Another group. :) Happy editing everyone!

Hi Guys -

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your SOP. I have finished mine (with lots of awsome feedback), but if anyone wants another reader feel free to PM me. Sort of like paying it forward!

Hi Guys -

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your SOP. I have finished mine (with lots of awsome feedback), but if anyone wants another reader feel free to PM me. Sort of like paying it forward!
Same here. I'm a little too far through the process to be interested in participating in the group, but I'd be happy to read for you if you want to PM me!

Hello wonderful people ,

Well , its a bit to early for me to ask but is anyone interested to continue this ? I am sure it will be helpful to all of us .