Anyone know more info on mayo med school- arizona?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the school has any in state preferences? Also are they as competitive as the MN campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Since it is their first year, I would imagine that it will be just as selective as the Minnesota campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Since it is their first year, I would imagine that it will be just as selective as the Minnesota campus.
Really? I'd imagine a brand new branch would not be able to be quite as selective.

Mayo is a private school, so there shouldn't be any state residency bias.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by broad based candidates?

1) Mayo name
2) small class size
3) Adjacency to CA and its massive surplus talented pre-med pool.

I predict that this will be a very competitive school, triple-digit summer temps notwithstanding. Yes, I know it's a dry heat, but so's your oven.

Really? I'd imagine a brand new branch would not be able to be quite as selective.

Mayo is a private school, so there shouldn't be any state residency bias.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Mayo name
2) small class size
3) Adjacency to CA and its massive surplus talented pre-med pool.

I predict that this will be a very competitive school, triple-digit summer temps notwithstanding. Yes, I know it's a dry heat, but so's your oven.

I would take 120 over -20 all day everyday

With the Mayos, now one has the choice of freezing to death in winter or dying of heatstroke in summer!

A friend of mine did a post-doc at Mayo-MN. She told me that there's a rule that doctor's offices may not have clocks in them.

I would take 120 over -20 all day everyday

Reactions: 6 users
Met someone representing Mayo at a school fair today and he gave me the lowdown on the AZ campus. He mentioned that the class size will be 50 students, no mission geared towards AZ so no in-state preference, expect the same medians for stats as the Rochester campus, clinical rotations can happen at any of the three Mayo campuses, pass/fail for first 2 years, block curriculum that merges lecture with PBL that is more focused on high yield material and less on basic science, 6 weeks of dedicated Step 1 study time, and plenty of clinical exposure within the first year.

Reactions: 6 users
Met someone representing Mayo at a school fair today and he gave me the lowdown on the AZ campus. He mentioned that the class size will be 50 students, no mission geared towards AZ so no in-state preference, expect the same medians for stats as the Rochester campus, clinical rotations can happen at any of the three Mayo campuses, pass/fail for first 2 years, block curriculum that merges lecture with PBL that is more focused on high yield material and less on basic science, 6 weeks of dedicated Step 1 study time, and plenty of clinical exposure within the first year.
Was this the NIH one?

I got the same info at the NIH career fair.

Since it's a new school is it worth a shot if my stats are a little lower than the Rochester campus

Since it's a new school is it worth a shot if my stats are a little lower than the Rochester campus

The guy representing admissions said no. The medians will be exactly the same. Don't think of it as a new school per se, but as an extension of the two other campuses. He also mentioned that there will be no other "perks" for being the first matriculating class that new schools sometimes offer (ie free or reduced tuition). There also won't be an issue with receiving federal financial aid like there is at newly accredited schools.

While their goal may be to have the medians "exactly the same", I wonder how many of those students will choose to go to a different top 20 or whatever school, driving the medians down a little bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
While their goal may be to have the medians "exactly the same", I wonder how many of those students will choose to go to a different top 20 or whatever school, driving the medians down a little bit.

My guess is they will have no issue finding matriculants that fit within their established medians. The class size is only 50 and they expect upwards of 4,000 applications.

My guess is they will have no issue finding matriculants that fit within their established medians. The class size is only 50 and they expect upwards of 4,000 applications.

Sure, but if you have a choice between being the first class at a new campus (brand name notwithstanding) vs. Columbia or the original Mayo campus or something, aren't you going to choose the latter?

Sure, but if you have a choice between being the first class at a new campus (brand name notwithstanding) vs. Columbia or the original Mayo campus or something, aren't you going to choose the latter?

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Your argument could be made for any school. I don't consider the AZ campus as a "new school" per se, it is in no way comparable to say, CNU. The same risk of attending a new school isn't there.

I'm not sure I understand your logic. Your argument could be made for any school. I don't consider the AZ campus as a "new school" per se, it is in no way comparable to say, CNU. The same risk of attending a new school isn't there.

Nah man, it's super risky. I think you guys are all crazy for even applying there. Save your money. :ninja:

Reactions: 5 users

If you got accepted to both campuses, and you also got accepted to another comparably ranked school, would you really choose the Mayo AZ campus?

If you got accepted to both campuses, and you also got accepted to another comparably ranked school, would you really choose the Mayo AZ campus?

There is more to my selection criteria than rank. Location, match lists, class size, curriculum structure, and institutions supportive of my interests are more important to me than where they rank on US News. I'd pick the Mayo AZ campus over the MN campus. If I really wanted to, I could always do rotations in MN. So to answer your question, generally speaking I would pick the Mayo AZ campus over a similarly ranked school.

Reactions: 1 users

For me, I think the decision would go something like: HMS > either Mayo > top 10 > state school or big scholarship > all others.

...but for now I think I'll worry more about just getting in anywhere...

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if the school has any in state preferences? Also are they as competitive as the MN campus?
Hey OP,

I was on the phone with them this past week and the direct answer is: (1) they are looking to satisfy the physician shortage in the SW of the country and (2) the program is every bit as rigorous as the MN program (i.e. it's not like some offshoot of the school; it is Mayo medical school).

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by broad based candidates?

Multi-dimensional. As the new burn-master Gonnif mentioned, Mayo doesn't typically go for the research powerhouses who have little else. In addition to having broad interests (and accomplishments), I have heard that they really value an applicant's story of how they got where they are today.

Yes, as long as your stats are at or above the 10th percentile, you would have a shot stats-wise. However, it will be an uphill battle if you are not URM, etc or have above average ECs in relation to that school's accepted students.

Seems like a valid concern but it's unlikely that any problems will occur haha; it is a branch rather than a brand new school. Even brand new schools do great! I'd evaluate it just as you do any other school, with preclinical grading scheme and clinical year opportunities being among the most important criteria.

Mayo's rank is actually near ~25 last time I checked. Amongst schools ranked 20+, Mayo probably has one of the higher name recognition if that is what you're looking for. The low US News ranking is due to the NIH funding...Mayo isn't as huge as other universities especially in terms of research funding...as well as lower stats (Mayo is very holistic).

Do they screen before sending secondaries?

Do they screen before sending secondaries?

It's been the same as the MN Mayo so far. Seems like a light screen before the "secondary" fee (no essays), then a heavier screen before requesting LORs, then a full review and interview or rejections.

Sorry for the bump of a slightly older thread. But it is interesting they are looking to satisfy the physician shortage in the SW. Does that mean they prefer individuals that want to stay and practice near their Arizona campus?

I got an interview and there is no evidence in my app that I have ever even been to the Southwest.