Anyone know of a good online genetics course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bae.area.premed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am currently taking anatomy thru BYU and surprisingly doing well with a 92%

Would like to take genetics online as well but having trouble finding a class that's not only valid but not terribly expensive. Any recommendations? And should I also consider biostats?

My postbacc didn't go particularly well due to histology and physiology, but my other courses went mostly alright. Want to see if there's any such course I can take to add to my record and show that I can do well in med school level courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Am currently taking anatomy thru BYU and surprisingly doing well with a 92%

Would like to take genetics online as well but having trouble finding a class that's not only valid but not terribly expensive. Any recommendations? And should I also consider biostats?

My postbacc didn't go particularly well due to histology and physiology, but my other courses went mostly alright. Want to see if there's any such course I can take to add to my record and show that I can do well in med school level courses.

Unless you're military, I don't think that med schools will look as well on online courses as classroom courses.

Reactions: 1 user
I only know of the schools in my state that offer Genetics online and that is VCU and NOVA/ VA community college(s). Not sure how tuition will fare for you if you're out of state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking Genetics online right now through UC Berkeley Extension and really enjoying it. The professor is great. The course is set up for "continuous enrollment" which means you can enroll any time and work at your own pace so long as you complete the course, including a proctored final, within 6 months. It's not crazy expensive, but not inexpensive. As for how med schools view online courses - I'm told that most schools won't accept them as prereqs and, as ThoracicGuy says, classroom courses are viewed as more rigorous. They should count in your postbac GPA, though, so if Genetics is not a hard pre-req and you do well in it, I don't see how that hurts anything except maybe the pocketbook. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Jazzmetal, who is your professor? ive been looking into taking genetics online. The UC berkeley extension program is affordable. I read on another thread about animal genetics being offered at Oklahoma state for around 600 but i think its no longer available.

I'm taking Genetics online right now through UC Berkeley Extension and really enjoying it. The professor is great. The course is set up for "continuous enrollment" which means you can enroll any time and work at your own pace so long as you complete the course, including a proctored final, within 6 months. It's not crazy expensive, but not inexpensive. As for how med schools view online courses - I'm told that most schools won't accept them as prereqs and, as ThoracicGuy says, classroom courses are viewed as more rigorous. They should count in your postbac GPA, though, so if Genetics is not a hard pre-req and you do well in it, I don't see how that hurts anything except maybe the pocketbook. :)

I am currently looking into taking the UC Berkeley Extension genetics course, as well. But I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has already taken the course. What were your overall thoughts? This is my last course until I apply for Veterinary school, so I have a pretty well rounded biology background. I'm hoping the course won't be too difficult, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it before I decide to enroll.

I am currently looking into taking the UC Berkeley Extension genetics course, as well. But I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has already taken the course. What were your overall thoughts? This is my last course until I apply for Veterinary school, so I have a pretty well rounded biology background. I'm hoping the course won't be too difficult, but I would like to hear your thoughts on it before I decide to enroll.

Hi Tennesseevolstudent23, I finished UCBX online genetics about a year ago and was happy with it. I like the subject a lot, and my instructor (Placyk) was good. No matter which instructor you have through UCBX online, the course content and syllabus will be the same. Figure out any mistakes you've made on the assignments, then review the whole set of assignments/worksheets/quizzes once or twice through before the final and you should be fine. I thought the final was decently challenging but there were no surprises. With online, it's important that your instructor responds to you promptly and grades your assignments promptly since you've can't move to the next module before you get your grade on the one you just finished. Placyk did a great job with that. I was running out of time toward the end (even though you get six months - my bad!) and Placyk totally helped make sure that I was able to get the proctored final scheduled by my deadline. If you're looking at a different instructor, that's what I'd try to find out. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I'm strongly looking into this course and just didn't want to go into it blindly. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile