Anyone knows someone who went to postbacc and still failed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone has personally or knew of someone who did horrible in their undergrads but then went to postbacc but still did bad in their classes?
All ive been hearing from everyone here is that everyone seemed to have done poorly in their undergrad work but then after finishing postbaccs, u guys all finished with 4.0 gpas and straight As in all your science classes and killed the Mcats. Even with my postbacc classmates right now, they are all getting straight As and such.
Do majority of postbacc students get 4.0 gpa's rather commonly despite doing really bad in undergrads?

Members don't see this ad.

I think personally people are doing so well in postbacc is b/c unlike undergrad ppl specifically realize they want to become a doctor hence they have to do well in post bacc so they study ALOT and work real hard to attain the good grades. As opposed to undergrad, where sometimes u party too much and don't really know what u want...alot has to do with maturity and knowing this will help u get into med school. I doubt ppl go into post bacc and fail unless they really are not smart and can't comprehend the material at all....

I agree with medtech...Besides you probably wont hear stories of those who have tried and failed on this website...they're probaably onto other things now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my postbacc at a state school that doesn't have a postbacc program. You just take the classes you need. Many of us are now in med school. Many are not. Some of those who are not really couldn't handle the classes and/or the MCAT. Most of them have good grades and good MCAT scores, but still didn't get in. That's just how it goes.

I did the Post bacc at MCV/VCU and I knew a couple people who really did pretty poorly during the year. On our first physiology exam, the high was like a 98 or something and the low was a 14. A bunch of people never came back after winter break and I'm assuming it's either because they didn't wanna do medicine anymore or they were bombing their classes. I think you would be surprised - there are people that make it to the post bacc but then just try to coast through without too much effort.

Sorry to post again but I thought of something that might be of minimal importance:

Anyway, there are some people that bomb undergrad because they just cannot handle it. On the other hand, some people bomb undergrad for various other reasons (this is where I categorize myself for better or worse). Those that did poorly because they are either unwilling to work hard or, for some reason or another, incapable of performing at the required level (academically speaking), are probably going to bomb the post-bacc as well. Giving a lazy person a second chance is probably not going to do it. A successful post-bacc student can improve his/her chances of gaining admission to whatever school he or she chooses, but an unsuccessful post-bacc student may drive the nail into his/her own coffin.