Anyone match into a program despite receiving a sloppy second interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zebra Hunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Received an interview after spots opened up from cancellation with a program that I would love to get into; however, I'm wondering if there is a realistic shot, even if small, that I will match with the program. Obviously I'm going to attend the interview, but I would just like to know that despite my belief that they'll be ranking me low, there is still a small bit of hope.

Members don't see this ad.

Received an interview after spots opened up from cancellation with a program that I would love to get into; however, I'm wondering if there is a realistic shot, even if small, that I will match with the program. Obviously I'm going to attend the interview, but I would just like to know that despite my belief that they'll be ranking me low, there is still a small bit of hope.

Lol at sloppy second interview.. Bump I am also curious

PD's say that their classes are made up of people who interview throughout the entire season, it would stand to reason that at least some of those late-season interviews are more likely sloppy-seconders. I have to assume you're still in the mix though regardless. Anecdotally most programs have to go pretty deep on their rank list to fill their classes. Don't think there will be a firm answer on this, but my working assumption is yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! I was invited in mid-December, wrote a love letter (that didn't get a response), ranked them second, and now here I am. Our PC told me this year that there were 1000+ applicants for 10 spots, so some of the decisions have got to be somewhat arbitrary. I like to think that they just didn't have space for me initially, and that cuts had to be made somewhere. But who knows, maybe they were digging through the bottom of the barrel for interviewees, and went low on their rank list before getting to me. It's probably good that I'll never really know. : )

There are no sloppy seconds. Don't even think like that. There are just so many applicants and thus so many qualified applicants that it is impossible to send invites to everyone who they think would be a good fit. If you have an invite there is a chance.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't invite you if they are not interested in you. Fit is more important than scores.

I was offered an interview a few days before Christmas last year, guarantee it was due to cancellations. I interviewed in end of January and got very positive vibes post-interview. I think I would have matched there had I ranked it higher. If you get an interview, it's an interview. Just like everyone else's.

Just to add to my previous post, like WalkingCorpse, last year I received a last minute interview at a place I aggressively pursued (i.e. Called multiple times). The interview went extremely well and several of the people interviewing me were pretty upfront and flat out said they thought I would be a great fit at their program. I am pretty sure I would have matched there as well had I ranked them higher. I liked their program, I just liked the one I am at now a bit better.

Invited to interview in November and only given two choices of open dates. Interviewed on their last day. Matched into that program.

Yeah it happens all the time. There aren't enough spots to interview everyone a program likes.

Don't read too much into getting a late invite.
Quality programs get 1000+ applications.
Tons of great candidates.
If you get an interview at all, you have a chance.

Good luck to all the applicants.

I matched at a place coming off the waitlist. Anything can happen. I had the same attitude you did when I got off the waitlist and then matched there. Now being on this side of things I agreed with above posts. Programs get way too many good applicants to interview them all. We are already doing waitlist only, filled up really quick and everyone we are interview have insane stats. Interviewing late doesn't mean anything. Just interview well and see what happens

When you have been offered and have accepted an interview, at that point the fit becomes more important than scores. At that point, they've reviewed your application, determined you're qualified enough on paper, and the interview is to figure out whether or not you're a good fit for the program. I've been told this by innumerable residents and the associate PD at the program where I'm currently rotating. And, based on their interview day's feel, I definitely believe it.