anyone muhajjiba for ob or Fp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aysecik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assalamunaleykum

is there any muhajjiba that had interview already for ob or fp please give some feedback
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Walaykum Asalam Sister,

Wish you the best in your career , God willing . Just wanted to relay my brother's famous quote about our worries as hijabis regarding interviewing & getting accepted into programs ;

"it's all in your head" !!!! ie the fear & barrier we create by anticiptaing a negative response , when actually , most people don't mind/care !

I still have doubts everyone now & then , but he's seen hijabi students/doctors in his Faculty , so I guess "seeing is believing" !!

All the best , looking forward to reading replies to your post too ! Hijabis , please don't hold back !

Assalamu3alaikom aysecik and all the Hijabis :)

I totally agree with Yasmeena. I sometimes create this whole scenario in my own head of what could be on people's mind when they look at me, and I do get wierd looks every now and then, even loud jibberish from a teenage hillbilly in a passing car. I don't know about the reaction in the medical profession, because I haven't attened my interviews yet. I would assume it shouldn't hold you back as a professional. Only your credentials and aptitude will if they're not good enough, just like any other applicant.

Please aysecik, have faith in Allaah. I'm reassuring myself as well by saying this. Waiting is a Killer!!! You get so much time on your hand (from Sep. to Jan. waiting for invitations) that you start making a reality out of the worst case scenarios..

One good thing you have to know is, choosing an applicant for an interview does not invovle seeing their picture. The program can not download your photo until they have already invited you for an interview. after that, it's you and what's God has written for you that will determine the fate of that interview.

I have applied to Internal Medicine and Pathology, aysecik. I think Ob/Gyn is more competitive than FP and IM, so hang in there.

I wish you the best of luck we rabbena yewaffa2ek.
Off to study for step2ck :(
Salam

Members don't see this ad :)
last year i was invited to the interviews and interviews go pretty well but the people the way they look at me and usually other canidates they don;t even talk to me kind of looking at me while i am not looking. also they were talking right in front off me that why they make them cover like this i heard women and a men talking in a conference right next to me. oh well off course all it well happen only Allah knows. I believe Elhamdulliah. but i did live through it. also i don't shake hands with the male doc. what do you think about that. is that something they shouldhold against me.
thanks

thank you for the great responses may Allah help all of us. so where do you guys seen lots of hijab which hospitals i am in ny but have not seen really

Where are you from aysecik ? I'm sorry if I wrote something in arabic in case you weren't :)
I live in OHIO, haven't been to any hospital yet but seen some mohajjabat almost exclusively in the mosque (arabs only).

I stand speechles to what happened to you in your interviews:( that's inexplicable! All I can say is that you be yourself, dont be shy, mingle around, and try to win people over, namely the PC , PD and other interviewees. Try to have a smile on your face all the time, and volunteer to start a conversation with people around you. I found in a few occasions that that was all it took to break the ice and let them know that we're not some oppressed low self-esteemed women with no control over their lives!!!

I don't know about shaking hands, but the way I see it and that's just my personal opinion, it shouldn't be a problem to me shaking hands with male PHYSICIANS here, even though I try to avoid it whenever possible. Back home it's another story. Sorry again if my opinion does not sound right to anyone. I've been through it all and wouldn't shake hands for years, but societal norms and traditions and thresholds differ from one another. As long as I feel comfortable doing it, I will do it.

I hear there's a large muslim community in NY.. where are you in NY? i have an interview at Albany medical center for Path in January enshaAllaah.

I truly wish you the best, sister. :)

Alaa

assalamu alaikum,
im a hijabi sister (american grad) applying for FP and have had two interviews already that went well alhamdulillah. i wasn't asked about my hijab at my interviews, however im prepared in case they do. the best thing would be to answer in a positive light and, if possible, not dwell on the issue. i assume my evaluations and recommendations show that i have good patient-interactions that have not been negatively affected by hijab, and i would tell them that (in a nice polite way). whatever u do, make it positive.

i also think it depends on where u are applying, if ppl are closeminded and ignorant at that hospital, then u will be more likely to have problems. its good to know ahead of time if they are stupid like that because then u can choose not to rank them, if u have the choice. at my medical schl's hospital, there are a few hijabi residents (medicine, psych, ob/gyn).

as for the hand-shaking, ppl here will not understand that u will be able to treat men (during residency) if u avoid shaking a man's hand. so maybe the best thing to do, would be to submit a short letter (after u have scheduled ur interview) stating very briefly that, per religious requirements you generally avoid unnecessary physical contact with men, such as hand shaking. but that this would not interfere with your residency (and did not interfere with your medical school training) since you feel that examining men in a medical setting is a necessary thing and that you will not have (and have not had) any objections to conducting thorough exams on any men that you will care for during ur residency. Ask that they please share this information with ur male interviewers as you do not want to offend anyone.

Assalamualaikum

Iwas just curious to know what hijabis do during ther surgery rotation, how did you guys get through it as they require to have evrything steril so would it still be possible to wear hijab during surgery or is ther some other way?
Just wondering as I have yet to start my clinical rotations and would like to be prepared, any other advice for hijabis as with how to handle clinicals etc?

long before my surgery and ob rotations, i talked to the ppl who were in charge of the dress code in that area (usually a nurse who was in charge). i told them i wanted to cover my hair and neck fully, so we figured out a way that worked for us. it ended up that i used a large disposable stockinette (used for ortho surgeries) to cover my hair and neck, then i layered several semi-opaque hair cover things (u know, what all the women wear in the OR) over my hair. that covered everything, but its fitted around ur neck, which i didnt like. u could also get a bearded man's cap to put over the stockinette if u can stand being warm and this will disquise ur neck somewhat. .

i also talked to them so i could get a private (or female only) scrub orientation so that i wouldnt have to scrub in in front of like 8 members of my class for practice. the way we did it was that i went to the regular orientation, watched everything that everyone else did, then when the rest of the class was gone, they just observed me scrubbing in (takes afew mins only).

i wore two scrub shirts (one backwards) to keep my chest covered even with v neck scrubs, then i used a scrub jacket whenever i wasn't scrubbed in (kept it right outside the OR or inside it and put it on as soon as the case was done, so i could help wheel the pt out, etc).

i dont think u can do anything about having to keep ur arms bare from the time u scrub in to the time u put on ur gown.

for the labor and delivery part, i kept my hijab on (cleared it with them beforehand). but did the above for gyne surg or c-sections.

the key is to talk to them b4 hand so that there is plenty of time for u (and them) to get what u need. and know who u talked to in case someone else gives u a hard time for wearing whatever the ppl in charge have allowed u to wear.

as salaamo 3alykoum warahmatullah
i am a young muslima still doing my undergrad and stumbled upon this site because i'm facing the issue of hijab in the hospital
i begin my clinicals next week insha'Allah
and i'm getting pressure from my parents to take it off and that no one will hire me wearing "that thing on my head"
i've already made up my mind not to take it off for anyone
it is scary how a piece of cloth on my head disturbs so many people but Alhamdulilah...
Allah knows what he wants for me...
so much for providing equal opportunities....:)
:>)
w'salaam

Hello levaneyoffbeat, actually I wasn't aware of that thread till you posted your comment today. I find justwondering's words inspiring.

I am impressed by your unshakable faith, this is the real spirit :)

Here's the biography of a Trauma Surgeon who happens to be muhajaba, and guess what?? She's also the Associate Program Director:

http://www.henryford.com/physwebpage.cfm?id=40510&action=display&ref=94

If she could do it, you all could do it as well. Best wishes :)

Jazakallah Khair...
May Allah continue to bless u and ur loved ones ameen
:>)

I'm half Saudi by the way noticed we are neighbours.....hehe
w'salaam

Nice to meet you :) Wish you the best. Keep us infomed about how it goes in you med school.

I am so happy to see our sisters olding on to their beliefs so strongly, may Allah bestow his blessings on you all.

I am previlaged to have met you all my dear sisters. keep us posted to what is going on with you

Best Wishes