Anyone take a year off for VERBAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone take a year off to focus on verbal to get in the 10+ level and see major strides? it just sucks to be lopsided and no matter how much more sciences you study, ultimately the balance of scores in each section is essential.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone take a year off to focus on verbal to get in the 10+ level and see major strides? it just sucks to be lopsided and no matter how much more sciences you study, ultimately the balance of scores in each section is essential.

take a year off? What does that mean, go work somewhere or what?

anyway, verbal is a skill. You can improve your basic verbal skills in a year, sure.

The tricky thing with verbal is people don't know why they are getting questions wrong. Timing? Lack of focus? Inability to pull main ideas out of difficult passages? Inability to chose the right answer or see why answers are wrong?

There are lots of things that go into getting something wrong. If you're getting questions wrong because of a lack of test skill, then the year off won't help. If it truly is reading fundamentals then the year will help if you practice in an intense focused manner for 1+ hr a day (some books say 3 but that is a lot for busy people).

i meant...devote senior year to focus on verbal...reapply next cycle (and perhaps do research during the year off)

i meant...devote senior year to focus on verbal...reapply next cycle (and perhaps do research during the year off)

Like I said, it is good if you are missing questions because of fundamental reading skills.

If you are missing because of test skill, then the only thing that will help you is verbal passages and heavy post gaming.

Do 10 passages, 1 or 2 at a time and really analyze why you are getting each question wrong. Until you know why, no one can answer the question for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If i remember correctly you got a 30...that good enough to apply this cycle