anyone take pcat also?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greentea093

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I work part time in a pharmacy and i am gonna apply to pharmacy school this year as well as well as medical school. I want to be an M.D but pharmacy is more like a back-up plan. i took two gap years and now i am so bored and i desperately need to go back to school, any school :( Anyone out there who will apply to both med/pharm school like me? I am not very well prepared for mcat cuz i have it coming in two weeks and i just started review physics. I did well (91% percentile) on pcat without much studying but i am sure mcat is more challenging. Just curious if anyone out there who will apply to other health programs for backup just like me. :)
For those who take mcat this Aug, good luck !

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, your not gonna get into med school with that mindset. If you really want to become a doctor, you should never give up. If others can do it, so can you.
Furthermore, the pcat is a joke of an exam compared to the mcat. A complete joke. That's why the job market for pharmacists is highly saturated. Anybody can get into pharmacy school if they have a relatively decent 3.2+ GPA. California doesn't even require a pcat..

If you want to be a doctor, study hard for the mcat.
If you want to be a pharmacist, go be a pharmacist.

Don't disrespect a career by treating it as a backup. Find out what you really want, and set goals to achieve it.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah, your not gonna get into med school with that mindset. If you really want to become a doctor, you should never give up. If others can do it, so can you.
Furthermore, the pcat is a joke of an exam compared to the mcat. A complete joke. That's why the job market for pharmacists is highly saturated. Anybody can get into pharmacy school if they have a relatively decent 3.2+ GPA. California doesn't even require a pcat..

If you want to be a doctor, study hard for the mcat.
If you want to be a pharmacist, go be a pharmacist.

Don't disrespect a career by treating it as a backup. Find out what you really want, and set goals to achieve it.
Thanks for your reply.
I wouldn't say that i disrespect pharmacists cuz i work with them side by side everyday. It's just that i already took two gap years and i really cannot afford to wait another year if i can't get into any school. I will take MCAT and see how my score goes. If it is good, i will try my best to get into med school. If not, i already have a good pcat score and my interview is guaranteed. I don't believe that any profession in the health care is superior to another. I work with nurses, physical therapist, and nursing assistants and i respect all of them. From day one i know i want to work in health care and it is just that my condition does not allow me to wait another year. Whatever school accepts me i am grateful and wherever my destination takes me i will do my best to make a positive impact on patients' lives.

Save yourself the time and effort and skip the MCAT. From what you have posted, your score will most likely be abysmal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well i thought people come here to support each other but clearly that is not the case. Enough of that bul***** and the only thing i can say is that i hope you don't become an arrogant doctor like those i have seen so many times.

I have a question actually for studying PCAT. I am planning to take PCAT, but I read here it's a completely joke compare to Mcat. How true is that? I have a hard time studying for PCAT, looks like my study materials don't carry much info. My question is - would it be a good idea if I study for PCAT using material for Mcat?

Well i thought people come here to support each other but clearly that is not the case. Enough of that bul***** and the only thing i can say is that i hope you don't become an arrogant doctor like those i have seen so many times.

People come here mostly for advice. And sometimes when they don't like the advice they receive, they respond with anger and vitriol. You have 2 weeks until your MCAT, and you JUST started reviewing physics? You admit that you probably aren't ready for the test, but you have no idea just how unprepared you really are. If you do take the MCAT, be prepared to void or you will be stuck with a bad score forever.

Reactions: 1 user

I hope you know some people study for 4+ months and still don't get the score they want.
You just started studying physics and think that your going to get a decent score?

My friend took the PCAT without studying a couple years back and aced it. He studied for 3 months straight for the old mcat and got a 19. He's now at Ross in the Caribbean.
Change your date for like January, make mcat studying like your full time job. This is for your career, if in fact you really DO want to become a doctor. If you don't, then you can go be a pharmacist.

Wow you really have no idea how this process works do you? You really want us to sugarcoat your situation (your so called "support")? The only reason you are not freaking out right now is because you have no idea how screwed you will be if you don't cancel your MCAT.

Wow you really have no idea how this process works do you? You really want us to sugarcoat your situation (your so called "support")? The only reason you are not freaking out right now is because you have no idea how screwed you will be if you don't cancel your MCAT.
What did "so horrible" greeantea said that you are all freaking out??!! So funny!! Looks like non of you are having a back up plan lol. So what if he wouldn't pass the Mcat??!! He will take it again. You guys are bulling here like there is no tomorrow!

What did "so horrible" greeantea said that you are all freaking out??!! So funny!! Looks like non of you are having a back up plan lol. So what if he wouldn't pass the Mcat??!! He will take it again. You guys are bulling here like there is no tomorrow!

The mentality that if one performs terribly on the MCAT, one can just retake it is probably one of the main culprits that cause certain applicants to never be able to get into medical school.

Actually we are giving good advice. If he/she takes the exam and gets a horrible score, it will not look good on an application. It's best to give it your all and take the exam once.
Furthermore, OP wants to apply to both pharm and med schools this year, and roll with whatever he/she gets into.. so there will be no mcat retake anyways.

How exactly does what we said have anything to do with any of us having a backup plan or not? The MCAT is not something you pass. There is no pass or fail, so please learn more about the test before you spread false hope. The MCAT is a beast of a test that most people take months out of their lives and spend thousands of dollars to prepare for. Studying for it multiple times will cost him lots of money, time and energy that could have been saved if he just studied hard once and do well. However, the biggest issue for most people is not the cost (money/time/energy) of multiple MCATs, it's stigmatization associated with a low MCAT score. It is an non-erasable stain on someone's record, one that will have its effects even if that person does well on his second try. You will very rarely see anyone take the MCAT more than three times because no matter how you score after that many times, the stigmatization this applicant carries with so many MCAT scores is often too great to overcome. If you do not know this process well, then don't comment to spread false hope because someone may read what you said and assume that you can take it as many times as you like. We are all at an age when we should have the capacity to handle hearing the truth even if we don't like it, and it is not bullying.

Last edited:
How exactly does what we said have anything to do with any of us having a backup plan or not?
You are going crazy cause he mentioned about back up plan.

The MCAT is not something you pass. There is no pass or fail, so please learn more about the test before you spread false hope.
However I am studying for PCAT, I know more than you about preparation for Mcat.

The MCAT is a beast of a test that most people take months out of their lives and spend thousands of dollars to prepare for.
You sound like you jealous that Mcat preparation took most of your time. I have a friend we took few classes together, she is just genius, and she is also tight on money. There is no way she is spending $1000's to prepare. All these study material is bul****, rediculois lot expensive, cause they are taking advantage of poor students. You have your textbooks from college. But surely you need to buy practice tests and guide how to study, so you can feel it. But I went to barnes&nobbles, omg.... Little box of flash cards for 30-50 doll???

Studying for it multiple times will cost him lots of money, time and energy that could have been saved if he just studied hard once and do well.
So what?
People are retaking tests, it's allowed up to Certain amount. After few years of college, I am completely exhausted to start studying for my PCAT, I just can't... I am a human, not a machine. And I watched few videos where people suggest to take a break to see you what you want.
From your posting you are the one who needs a break from studying.... Or whatever you are doing lol

However, the biggest issue for most people is not the cost (money/time/energy) of multiple MCATs, it's stigmatization associated with a low MCAT score. It is an non-erasable stain on someone's record, one that will have its effects even if that person does well on his second try. You will very rarely see anyone take the MCAT more than three times because no matter how you score after that many times, the stigmatization this applicant carries with so many MCAT scores is often too great to overcome.
If they established some number how many times you can take... Than its for a reason.

If you do not know this process well, then don't comment to spread false hope because someone may read what you said and assume that you can take it as many times as you like. .
Actually, I am not saying to study "ok", and take another chance. I am just stating that "chances do exist" according to the Mcat.

We are all at an age when we should have the capacity to handle hearing the truth even if we don't like it, and it is not bullying
Total BS. You need to study a psychology to know how and with whom to use such methods. I work in mental health clinic, it doesn't work for everyone... No matter how hard we want to help and think that we are being honest.

Bth, from your post you do sound like you are taking it seriously. But greentea is kinda right about that he came for advice.. And all of sudden everyone started throwing rocks at him. He got PCAT score of 91!! Give him a credit for it, many people I know they are struggling now while studying. He might think if he got 91 on PCAT, means he knows his strength and weakness.
Let him whatever the f-k he wants. If g-d willing he pass Mcat and got accepted to med school, he will see the real challenge.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going crazy cause he mentioned about back up plan.

No one went crazy because he mentioned about his back up plan. I didn't.

However I am studying for PCAT, I know more than you about preparation for Mcat.
How does studying for the PCAT gives you knowledge about the MCAT?

You sound like you jealous that Mcat preparation took most of your time. I have a friend we took few classes together, she is just genius, and she is also tight on money. There is no way she is spending $1000's to prepare. All these study material is bul****, rediculois lot expensive, cause they are taking advantage of poor students. You have your textbooks from college. But surely you need to buy practice tests and guide how to study, so you can feel it. But I went to barnes&nobbles, omg.... Little box of flash cards for 30-50 doll???

You think because I (and everyone else responded) told you that many people take a lot of time and money to study for the MCAT that I'm jealous of people that don't?? How exactly does your logic work? So what if you met someone who spent no time or money studying for the MCAT? I met Obama once, does that mean everyone around me should go run for president? A majority of people who done well on the MCAT used some sort of prep materials and spent a decent amount of time studying for it. That's fact. Not something you can dispute by pulling out a random anecdote. Why else do you think all the prep plans in this forum all span several months long??

So what?
People are retaking tests, it's allowed up to Certain amount. After few years of college, I am completely exhausted to start studying for my PCAT, I just can't... I am a human, not a machine. And I watched few videos where people suggest to take a break to see you what you want.
From your posting you are the one who needs a break from studying.... Or whatever you are doing lol

Just because it allows you to take it up to a certain amount doesn't mean it is advisable to take it that many times. And stop talking as if you know my life.

If they established some number how many times you can take... Than its for a reason.

Actually, I am not saying to study "ok", and take another chance. I am just stating that "chances do exist" according to the Mcat.
No one said you can't get in if you take it more than once, but why the hell would put yourself in that position if you don't have to???

Total BS. You need to study a psychology to know how and with whom to use such methods. I work in mental health clinic, it doesn't work for everyone... No matter how hard we want to help and think that we are being honest.
I happen to have a degree in psychology, and I've done psychology research for 4 years. Do you think you are helping by telling him false information? Do you think everyone on this thread are saying the exact same thing because it is wrong? It's not psychology. It's common sense.

Bth, from your post you do sound like you are taking it seriously. But greentea is kinda right about that he came for advice.. And all of sudden everyone started throwing rocks at him. He got PCAT score of 91!! Give him a credit for it, many people I know they are struggling now while studying. He might think if he got 91 on PCAT, means he knows his strength and weakness.
Let him whatever the f-k he wants. If g-d willing he pass Mcat and got accepted to med school, he will see the real challenge.
I don't care what he got on his PCAT. In case you have not been paying attention. This is the MCAT. It starts with a M, not a P. I have no idea why you are trying to make correlations between PCAT and MCAT. And how many times do I have to say this: you don't PASS the MCAT. God it's hard to reason with people with no knowledge of what's going on.

FYI, I wrote this exam twice (expired score) and got 98th percentile on both times. I'm also a MCAT Instructor for a famous prep company whom I shall not name and I have taught hundreds of MCAT students. I know how this process works. If you don't have experience on this, then don't start going off on other people and labeling people with negative adjectives like "jealous". You simply sound ignorant by comparing your PCAT experience to the MCAT. You clearly have no idea what's going on so don't show off your lack of knowledge like it's something to be proud of.

Last edited:
FYI, I wrote this exam twice (expired score) and got 98th percentile on both times. I'm also a MCAT Instructor for a famous prep company whom I shall not name and I have taught hundreds of MCAT students. I know how this process works. If you don't have experience on this, then don't start going off on other people and labeling people with negative adjectives like "jealous". You simply sound ignorant by comparing your PCAT experience to the MCAT. You clearly have no idea what's going on so don't show off your lack of knowledge like it's something to be proud of.

Whatever, I don't care if you took it twice, good for you, very good score. I wasn't trying to compare PCAT or Mcat, I believe Mcat is harder.
Btw, I have nothing to show off yet, except my school achievements, until I become whoever I want to be. Until that I am an average human being with doubts and stuff like that. I didn't get to your "instructor level" yet.
My point is don't talk to people like a dictator, it's not North Korea
Btw, I bet you got very good score on writing essay part.

Hi guys,
I work part time in a pharmacy and i am gonna apply to pharmacy school this year as well as well as medical school. I want to be an M.D but pharmacy is more like a back-up plan. i took two gap years and now i am so bored and i desperately need to go back to school, any school :( Anyone out there who will apply to both med/pharm school like me? I am not very well prepared for mcat cuz i have it coming in two weeks and i just started review physics. I did well (91% percentile) on pcat without much studying but i am sure mcat is more challenging. Just curious if anyone out there who will apply to other health programs for backup just like me. :)
For those who take mcat this Aug, good luck !
It is pretty hard as I'm sure you've heard. It all depends as to how you do on practice tests. For all I know, you could be hella intelligent even outside the testing environment, making the MCAT slightly better for you. Some people take months and some people take weeks. Each person is different as is. Best is, take some practice tests, see how you score on those (510+ is essentially the goal). if you are scoring close to it, then props to you! if not, I would suggest delaying it a bit further so you can spend some more time studying. I've never heard the case fo 2 weeks but I'm not going to say "Oh you gotta spend at least however many years"
Best of luck!

Whatever, I don't care if you took it twice, good for you, very good score. I wasn't trying to compare PCAT or Mcat, I believe Mcat is harder.
Btw, I have nothing to show off yet, except my school achievements, until I become whoever I want to be. Until that I am an average human being with doubts and stuff like that. I didn't get to your "instructor level" yet.
My point is don't talk to people like a dictator, it's not North Korea
Btw, I bet you got very good score on writing essay part.
I did not talk to people like a dictator. I, like everyone else here, told the truth. Just because you don't like the truth does not make the person saying it a dictator.
Lastly, I truly don't care what you have to show off or what you don't. And I don't care if you are an average human being or an extraordinary human being. The quality of my essay is none of your business, just like it's none of my business what your "school achievements" or "whoever you want to be" are, so I don't give a crap. I don't even know what you are trying to say with all that "school achievements", "average human being with doubts", "whoever I want to be" stuff, but I doubt I care.

I did not talk to people like a dictator. I, like everyone else here, told the truth. Just because you don't like the truth does not make the person saying it a dictator.
Lastly, I truly don't care what you have to show off or what you don't. And I don't care if you are an average human being or an extraordinary human being. The quality of my essay is none of your business, just like it's none of my business what your "school achievements" or "whoever you want to be" are, so I don't give a crap. I don't even know what you are trying to say with all that "school achievements", "average human being with doubts", "whoever I want to be" stuff, but I doubt I care.
God forbid to have such an instructor to study lol

Sorry guys maybe i am just too defensive. Let me make it more clear: I do STUDY for the MCAT and it is just that i HAVEN't start reviewing the Physics section yet (two weeks from the test). I bought the berkeley review and i am almost done going through them. Since there are SOME overlap between pcat and mcat and i took pcat first, i only focused on the bio and chem sections first because it will be on both tests. overall i have been reviewing for 6 month (have not done any full length mcat yet). I know two weeks will be impossible for anyone, but i am just trying to finish reviewing physics and i am not too worried about other sections and see how my score is.
Again, i apologize for my confusion and i know i am too reactive. I wish all you guys good luck with your applications.

And thanks Marina 22. A lot of the time i feel like we are in the mentality of everything or none. We either get into medical school or our lives are over. I respect those individuals who set a goal and work hard for it. But i do think that there should be more options for students. And if i failed my mcat, i may not take it again cuz studying at home alone is just a horrible experience for me. I much better prefer go to school and study with others. I suffered from depression last year and i cannot imagine staying at home, working a part time job, and studying for the mcat. I would be more depressed if i cannot go to school until 2018.
Just something about myself

You are projecting too hard. Anyway, I would like to thank you for the donation on the AAMC's and TBR's behalf.

Sorry guys maybe i am just too defensive. Let me make it more clear: I do STUDY for the MCAT and it is just that i HAVEN't start reviewing the Physics section yet (two weeks from the test). I bought the berkeley review and i am almost done going through them. Since there are SOME overlap between pcat and mcat and i took pcat first, i only focused on the bio and chem sections first because it will be on both tests. overall i have been reviewing for 6 month (have not done any full length mcat yet). I know two weeks will be impossible for anyone, but i am just trying to finish reviewing physics and i am not too worried about other sections and see how my score is.
Again, i apologize for my confusion and i know i am too reactive. I wish all you guys good luck with your applications.

And thanks Marina 22. A lot of the time i feel like we are in the mentality of everything or none. We either get into medical school or our lives are over. I respect those individuals who set a goal and work hard for it. But i do think that there should be more options for students. And if i failed my mcat, i may not take it again cuz studying at home alone is just a horrible experience for me. I much better prefer go to school and study with others. I suffered from depression last year and i cannot imagine staying at home, working a part time job, and studying for the mcat. I would be more depressed if i cannot go to school until 2018.
Just something about myself

Your mentality is concerning and is not consistent with success. Which is why we are telling you not to take the MCAT, or to void your score if you do take it. You are essentially trying to roll the dice at a casino and hoping to win it big; you will almost certainly lose this gamble. The only possible benefit to your taking the MCAT unprepared is that it will nail the door shut on your medical school aspirations and allow you to focus all your efforts on becoming a pharmacist.

2 weeks and not have started physics content review. Did you do lots of FLs? Prob not cuz you didnt even finish content review yet. I wouldnt recommend taking the test.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile