Anyone use a professional service for personal statement editing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JFK90787

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the people who read my personal statement was one of the post-docs at the lab I work in, who is currently an MD student at HMS taking a few years off to get a PhD done. He said it was fine but strongly recommended finding a professional to read through it and give advice as well, and referred me to the person he used for his.

I went to this person's website and saw she charged $900 for 3 edits :eek:. As I looked around more I saw this was about the going rate, with the cheapest being still several hundred dollars.

Would anyone recommend using a service like this, or has anyone used something like this with exceptional results? The money scares me the most, and I'm thinking even if my letter is amaaazing I don't think it would that huge of a difference to justify the price.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the people who read my personal statement was one of the post-docs at the lab I work in, who is currently an MD student at HMS taking a few years off to get a PhD done. He said it was fine but strongly recommended finding a professional to read through it and give advice as well, and referred me to the person he used for his.

I went to this person's website and saw she charged $900 for 3 edits :eek:. As I looked around more I saw this was about the going rate, with the cheapest being still several hundred dollars.

Would anyone recommend using a service like this, or has anyone used something like this with exceptional results? The money scares me the most, and I'm thinking even if my letter is amaaazing I don't think it would that huge of a difference to justify the price.

Never pay that much. Find a med student who was successful and ask them for their writing (and ask for their edits). Email an English professor who you know well and ask for their edits.

Don't get suckered in to paying more than you have to. The application cycle is already a major expense.

I used the PS reader service here on SDN which is very nice btw.

I also asked friends and family to revise as well as a couple of physicians that I know.

I'm pretty sure giving it to everyone I knew +SDN helped a lot.

I personally wouldn't shell out 900 bucks for a personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)

Waaaaay too expensive! If you want some critiques on your PS, go to www.premededit.com -- it's ran by a lady named Dr. Duello, who has been on a medical admissions committee for over 30 years. She was pretty helpful and it was only $30!

Waaaaay too expensive! If you want some critiques on your PS, go to www.premededit.com -- it's ran by a lady named Dr. Duello, who has been on a medical admissions committee for over 30 years. She was pretty helpful and it was only $30!

Anyone have experience with this lady? Would not mind dishing $30 at all if it's legit!

Anyone have experience with this lady? Would not mind dishing $30 at all if it's legit!

yea same here, would love to hear feedback from others about their experiences here.

I'm on the Dr. Duello bandwagon too if it's legit. I think this person is about to get rich off SDN :D

I'll be a guinea pig and try this once I finish re-writing my PS. I'll let you guys know.

yea same here, would love to hear feedback from others about their experiences here.

I've had several experiences with her! She's helped me out with my CV and my PS. She's incredibly helpful and will fine-tune your essay, only for $30 -- can't really beat that! She's been on an adcom for approximately 30 years, so I believe she knows what to look for in a PS.

Paying for something doesn't mean the quality is superior to a service you don't have to pay for. With that said, utilize friends who have a strong hand at editing, English professors or other trusted sources.

SDN has it's own review service, free of charge, where editing is done by current members. You can pick which member reviews your PS.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895287

Members don't see this ad :)
$30 only for registration or for editing?

$30 only for registration or for editing?

You register for $30 and there is an option after registration that allows you to upload your PS file. She'll get back to you via email with what revisions you should consider. She offered me a free 2nd revision, but I'm not sure if that was included in the $30 or not.

Does your UG have a writing center? That's what I used. Also, as Nick Naylor pointed out, there are PS readers on SDN that'll do it for free.

Anybody end up trying this lady out?

If you were to actually pay me $100, I would guarantee a 24 hour turn around. That said, you should just use the SDN reader service as you'll get similarly qualified advice for free.

nonsense. He's being modest guys. All payment can be sent to me and I'll relay the message to him.

Does anyone know if Dr. Duello also edits pharmacy school personal statements?

has anyone used this lady recently. i sent it to her and she basically just told me to make it super generic. idk about that

Am I the only one that just used a premed advisor, a physician and some peers? I didn't pay with anything, except maybe my dignity when I begged and was subsequently torn apart.