Anyone w/ 3.20 cGPA get into Dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camels

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my sophomore year with a cGPA of 2.23. What are my chances if I get 4.0's for the next 3 years (I plan to do an additional year) and do really well on my DAT? Share your success stories with similar stats ...

Also, if anyone cares to calculate what my cGPA would look like after total of 5 years that would be nice (have completed 63 credits and have a 2.23 right--have only completed bio 1+lab, bio2+lab, chem 1+lab), I used to calculate it a lot but can't bring myself to do it anymore for fear of getting a heart attack.

Also do you guys know if I can switch to a chem major--i cant continue with what i started with (Biology) because I got 2 F's in Trig and Calc and they have policy that you can't graduate as a Biology major with more than 1 D/F.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
not trying to put you down man but its a lot easier said than done trying to turn your grades around. not saying it can't be done but you must be realistic. i personally know many people who swore to "get 4.0's from now on" in an attempt to salvage their ****ty grades. none of them were able to and had to give up their med school dreams. hope you can prove me wrong!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my sophomore year with a cGPA of 2.23. What are my chances if I get 4.0's for the next 3 years (I plan to do an additional year) and do really well on my DAT? Share your success stories with similar stats ...

Also, if anyone cares to calculate what my cGPA would look like after total of 5 years that would be nice (have completed 63 credits and have a 2.23 right--have only completed bio 1+lab, bio2+lab, chem 1+lab), I used to calculate it a lot but can't bring myself to do it anymore for fear of getting a heart attack.

Also do you guys know if I can switch to a chem major--i cant continue with what i started with (Biology) because I got 2 F's in Trig and Calc and they have policy that you can't graduate as a Biology major with more than 1 D/F.

Chem is harder than Bio IMO. Just FYI

not trying to put you down man but its a lot easier said than done trying to turn your grades around. not saying it can't be done but you must be realistic. i personally know many people who swore to "get 4.0's from now on" in an attempt to salvage their ****** grades. none of them were able to and had to give up their med school dreams. hope you can prove me wrong!

I'll throw in my 2 cents and offer this guy some hope.

I finished my Sophomore year with an 2.75 oGPA, and all my Gen Eds done (read: easier classes). I had slacked off up to that point (I didn't really have any motivation until I stumbled upon Oral Surgery and Dentistry), and realized that I needed to move my ass if I wanted to have even a remote chance.

I busted my butt for the past year, and have had a 3.96 GPA over the past three semesters (Summer: 11 credits, Fall: 16 credits, Spring: 14 credits), only getting an A- in Physics 2 and a B+ in Physics 2 Lab over the summer. I had a perfect 4.0 the past two semesters, and my GPA, at this moment, is sitting at a measly -- but much improved -- 3.27. I'm going to take 6 credits over the first part of summer in order to bump it up to a 3.308 over the first half of summer, and then hopefully I'll be able to pair that up with good DAT scores. If anybody cares for which classes I took over the past year, I'm a Microbiology major so the more notable classes are Physics 2, Orgo 2, Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Eukaryotic Cell Structure. Throw in some advanced Anthropology classes (I have an Anthropology and a Classics minor), two labs and a for-credit TA spot, and that was basically my course load.

I was in a better position than you, but remember that IT IS POSSIBLE. You're going to have to change your life style around, a LOT though. I never really believed people when I was told that once you find your passion, you'll be able to push yourself to the limits, but it's completely true.

Here are the few tips I can humbly offer you:

1) Kiss your social life goodbye: It's gone, accept it. You messed up and partied until now, it's time to get your grades in order. I went out maybe 4-5 times over the past year, and once was for my 21st birthday. Luckily I have an amazing girlfriend who is going through the same grind I am (except she's much smarter than I am and didn't let her grades drop so she's sitting at a comfy 3.5 oGPA), and we were able to keep each other company. That being said, I was always the one who pushed and studied harder the past year simply because I needed too. You have to make sure you have the discipline to go home from classes each day, watch a few minutes of TV or do something to clear your mind, then hit the books. Take plenty of breaks, but make sure they're only ~10 minutes long.

2) Go to class: I'm guessing that you skip some if not most of your classes. I did the same. Make sure you watch every lecture, because believe it or not the teacher knows a thing or two about the material and the exams. A bunch of teachers give out extra credit/ exam hints during lectures, so that's always a nice bonus, but even if they don't, you'll be surprised by how much your grades increase if you simply go to class.

3) Learn how you learn: I study best at night. Dunno why, but my prime study hours are between 5PM - 2AM. I am not a morning person, so I'm obviously not going to study in the morning. Learn how you study best, and use it to your advantage.

4) Keep your head up: A bunch of people will tell you it can't be done, and you'll inevitably hit some pitfalls. Always make sure to get back up and dust yourself off so you can keep on moving forward. It's not gonna be easy, but it's definitely possible and it'll feel oh-so-very-sweet when you get the grades you worked your ass off for.

Like I said, it's tough but possible. I know a bunch of people who were in my shoes but weren't able to motivate themselves enough, and I'll agree with dentalstudentprospect2 that more people fail than succeed. However, it IS possible, and I'm sure that if you put your mind to it, you can wreck your next few semesters.

Good luck, keep your head up, and message me if you need any motivation/advice.

Reactions: 1 users

Theoretically, a chem major is perfectly fine.

However, I worry about you doing this. Chemistry is way more math-intensive than biology, and it seems like math is where you struggle.

You need to just retake those two math classes, if for nothing else than to show dental schools that you aren't satisfied with making two Fs! Yes, both the F and the new grade will go on your transcript, but you need to do it. Schools will NOT like it if you have two failed courses on your transcript that you didn't retake.

Don't switch to chem. I really don't think it is the right decision for you.

Also, even as a pretty smart person myself, the thought of a chem major makes me shudder. If you were math-minded, then yes, a chem major might be easier than biology... Maybe I'm wrong, but that doesn't seem to be the case. :) (I'm not very math-minded, either!)

You should first retake the classes you did not pass, and ACE them.

Don't switch your major, like everyone else said. It would probably hurt you more than help.

As for the GPA:
I was in the same boat. Applied to dental schools with the same-ish GPA.
My freshmen year first semester killed me, and then when I was doing fine the next semester, my sophomore first semester killed it even more.
Aced the next 3 semesters (but by ace, I mean nothing lower than a B, ever). Brought my GPA up to kinda where you are at now.

Worked my butt off for the DAT.. got an AVERAGEish score. I did well on the sections I was tryna show improvement (GenChem/Ochem especially).

Got one interview, one acceptance (state school)

So it is not IMPOSSIBLE. It just takes a lot more determination and staying positive that things will work out!

I got in with 3.3 overall and 3.09 science 19/19 dat but had a ton of volunteer/internship/full time work/shadowing/committee letter

Reactions: 1 user
I got in with a 3.18
make sure you work the DAT and have good extracurricular

I start dental school in the fall.

My cGPA for the application was 3.3 and my DAT was 20.

Been an undergrad for 8 years. First year I failed art history and precalc and had a 1.8gpa. I replaced precalc and took a 1.5 year break to focus on work. Went back to school and finally decided on dentistry while making all As. Even my extracurriculars were mediocre and my volunteer hours weren't very high, which was primarily due to a busy work schedule.

IMO if you show an upward trend demonstrating your drive to get into D-school and make all A's, the adcoms will notice it. It took working for 1.5 years at $9 an hour to realize I wanted to accomplish something more.

**** happens and you could have had other things going on this semester that may have caused you to temporarily lose focus, but you still have a chance given you have the motivation.

I don't intend to be rude, but if you aren't motivated enough to learn and know your class material just to be a competitive applicant, perhaps dental school may not be the right path for you.

For those who got in, did you guys apply early like in june?

It's doable definitely have to reevaluate your lifestyle as that is a major influence on an A student vs. a B or C student. Once you begin to put your academics before everything and live it you'll be on your way to pushing straight As for the rest of your undergrad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk