Anything I can do to change?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captgreg87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys really looking for some advice,

Something is not going right for me. I have spent the last two months studying almost everyday 4 to 9 hours a day, taking breaks on weekends and doing a complete content review for my test on June 21. I have started roughly a week ago doing full practice exams religiously, since I was taking some before here and there.

I am just seeing no real improvement. My scores are extremely low for the level of content I feel comfortable with and my VR scores have just dropped off the map. I took the test last year and scored a 9 and I will feel lucky to get back to that.

For the amount of time I have put in studying for this round and the effort, I really think I am just zoning out or something is wrong. I have pretty much lost all my confidence and taking the actual practice AAMC practice exams and I am just looking for some type light at the end of the tunnel. I should be able to score high on this but its just not coming together.

Has anyone on encountered this "confidence loss" and is there hope in order to pull this out before my test date?

Thanks guys really appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thoroughly going through questions you're getting wrong on FLs and then going over their concepts? I plan to make a list of exact topics I missed and then review them after finishing each FL. This way you can focus down on what's holding you back. Best of luck.

I don't understand. TPR and TBR prepared me immensely for these. What materials are you using? I don't think EK is enough. EK is toilet paper to me. TPR Bio should net you the minimum 10. TBR GChem and Physics at least a 10 as well. Verbal...**** verbal.

How have you been studying? Are you just looking at content and not doing practice problems? Are you taking notes and reviewing your practice problems thoroughly? What material are you using?

Is it test anxiety? There must be some explanation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys thanks for the replies,

I have been using the Kaplan Comprehensive books, going though each chapter highlighting and taking very detailed notes while then doing practice problems after each sections. I have TPR and Exam crackers VR books but have not yet fully got into those. I am taking a fifth full exam today but I am going to just time myself so if I do go over it will not exit me out and I can see if its really maybe just the timing issue throwing me off.

After every full length I take the next day and go over each problem I got wrong and even the problems I got right in full detail so I understand them. Even use outside sources such as wikki and youtube just to drive the points home.

I think you should push your test date back. Are you trying to apply this cycle, would you consider applying next cycle? I also think you may have to get another set of prep material. You should consider BR.
Also, did you do practice passages while reviewing? And when did you complete your prereqs, how did you do?

I am trying to apply this cycle. One of the admissions counselors at my top school told me that I can send in my application right after I fish a spring class I am taking an defer my new mcat score since I already have one. I am really thinking about moving my test date back to July 14 but I was worried if that would really have a harder time applying then, even though my application would already be sent.

Actually was going to make a new thread on that as well lol. Its been two years since I finished undergrad, and with the exception of Organic chemistry I excelled at mostly every other pre req class I took, but the two years have taken their tole on me.

Would you guys think it would be in my best interest to move my test date back.

I am trying to apply this cycle. One of the admissions counselors at my top school told me that I can send in my application right after I fish a spring class I am taking an defer my new mcat score since I already have one. I am really thinking about moving my test date back to July 14 but I was worried if that would really have a harder time applying then, even though my application would already be sent.

Actually was going to make a new thread on that as well lol. Its been two years since I finished undergrad, and with the exception of Organic chemistry I excelled at mostly every other pre req class I took, but the two years have taken their tole on me.

Would you guys think it would be in my best interest to move my test date back.

I strongly believe that you should change your date.I mean, what will hinder you even more than lateness is a low MCAT score.