AO Basic March

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I post PRN

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Scholl peeps going to AO in March?

Members don't see this ad.

In a nutshell....

This would have been great during third year...it was very basic
The case studies were cancelled...which was terrible, I was looking forward to discussion...

The labs were pretty good, cadavers would have been great, saw bones were not horrible...

The food was great...
If I had to go to basic as a 2nd year resident...I'd be pissed because of how basic it was.

My program paid for it, so I'd say it was completely worth it.

Those are my thoughts briefly.

I thought the basic course was organized and well done. The lectures were high quality and went above and beyond typical AO content. I think bc the course is now independent from synthes that lecturers have a little more freedom with the content of their lectures.

The basic course essentially covers everything you should already know from the content point of view. But it is a really good review nonetheless. I really enjoyed the hands on clinical lab portion the most. I felt the attendings who were walking around were extremely helpful and non-judge mental with their critiques and advice. Offering a lot of tips and pearls during the process of performing the surgical procedures on the saw bones. Any hands on experience a resident can get, outside of the OR, is good in my book.

I just wish the weather didn't throw off the schedule a little bit. They ended up cutting out the case review sessions which is really a shame bc I feel it's good for residents to be put on the spot to discuss cases they performed in the OR. It's an exercise to demonstrate your own competence and to learn from the critiques coming from the crowd.

Looking forward to the advanced course in August.
Yeah I'll see you in August