AOA and ACGME Residency questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clinicall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone, I was wondering if someone could give me some general information on the AOA and ACGME residency programs? If I take both the COMLEX and USMLE, can I only apply to either the AOA or ACGME, or can I apply to both? Do both matches happen during the same time? It sounds to me like this can be at times, a huge gamble (i.e. not applying to the AOA and gambling trying to get into an ACGME program). Can anyone give me some deeper insight to how this works? I have heard of a possible merger as well. My knowledge on how this works is pretty basic and thought I could get some more information here. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's probable that all this will change in the next coming years, but as of right now:

-you can apply and interview at both DO and MD programs in the fall of 4th year.

-the DO match happens about a month before the MD match and you can either rank all or none or some of your DO programs depending on your preference.

-if you match DO you are pulled out of the MD match. If you do not match DO you can rank all or some of the MD programs in the MD match, or pull out of the MD match and apply for a spot in the DO scramble.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's probable that all this will change in the next coming years, but as of right now:

-you can apply and interview at both DO and MD programs in the fall of 4th year.

-the DO match happens about a month before the MD match and you can either rank all or none or some of your DO programs depending on your preference.

-if you match DO you are pulled out of the MD match. If you do not match DO you can rank all or some of the MD programs in the MD match, or pull out of the MD match and apply for a spot in the DO scramble.

End of thread…

Reactions: 2 users

Pretty much answers everything.

By the way, MiaMia, how did the match go for you this year?

Matched!!!! Find out where tomorrow, but I was so worried about it honestly Monday was the big day for me. Now I'm just excited about tomorrow instead of feeling like I might die haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched!!!! Find out where tomorrow, but I was so worried about it honestly Monday was the big day for me. Now I'm just excited about tomorrow instead of feeling like I might die haha.

Believe me, I almost did...

Congrats, @SLC on locking up a spot!

Thanks, it was a harrowing experience but somehow I came out even better than I would have had I matched my top choice.

Looking back I can see a few fatal mistakes I made (not going on all my interviews, not staying in contact with programs like I probably should have). But in spite of that, I could not be happier with the results of this year's match.

I think it is really frightening that he didn't match. I hope his case is a very rare exception...

I hope so too, and I think it was. All my SOAP interviewers were floored that I was unmatched and they were all vying pretty hard for me. I even had calls during the first round of offers promising me a second round spot if I turned offers down in the first round.

But I also made some big mistakes in over-estimating what I needed to do to match. I believed the line that FM is an auto-match for any halfway qualified applicant. I don't think that's true, and even if it is, I definitely don't think it is at good programs.

Still, I somewhat believe in fate; and there are way too many aspects of how things went down for e to write off the idea that I was supposed to be where I am now. So who knows.