AOA and the match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karenwkyk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

How important to get AOA membership? I really want to do my residency in the top school (like Havard, stanford....) in a pretty competitive field (e.g radiology). Can i still get match there without AOA? I got 257 on step 1, honors 90% of the classes in year 1 and 2 , and get either honors or high pass in the third year so far, couple publications from NIH before and during medical school.
I just don't think that i will earn a AOA, because my school require people to get all honors in third year in order to get AOA, so is anyone get match at top 10 schools without AOA? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Is this a joke?

With a 257, some rads pubs, a good number of honors -- you won't need AOA to match at a top 10.

Do a couple away rotations to improve your odds.

Is this a joke?

With a 257, some rads pubs, a good number of honors -- you won't need AOA to match at a top 10.

Do a couple away rotations to improve your odds.

why does it matter if you go to a top 10 school? what does it mean to be a top 10 program? it's a bit arbitrary.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is the home to the finest students in America. No one, I repeat, No one here has board scores under 99!

People on these message boards floor me. Research CHECK. NIH CHECK. Honors ALL classes CHECK. Step above 240 CHECK. Letters of Rec from "insert name of the guru in your region of the country here" CHECK.

I am sure you will match and match well. Best regards....I wish we all had it so rough.

Osteo

Why should you want to go to a top 10 program? Completely depends on who you are and what you want. If you want to be a chair someday or stay in academics generally or do a lot of research, a high-powered research-oriented place might just be for you. If you're worried that rads might take a hit someday and the job market might tighten up, you might want the best resume possible. Do you have to go to a top program to get great training? Absolutely not.

Most of the people that match at "top 10 schools" (whatever that means or encompasses) will be AOA. It is not a requisite, but it certainly helps.