AOA EM Residencies Switching to ACGME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember there was a thread about some AOA residencies converting to ACGME this year, but can't seem to find it. I'm on ERAS and found the Mount Sinai Florida program that described a "OGME" curriculum and also a UCF residency accepting COMLEX. Both programs don't have NRMP codes. Does this mean that both programs will be converting this year? If so, what are the disadvantages of going to a program like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Sinai is matching ACGME. UCF program is ACGME.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
If the AOA can become accredited. A lot won't go for accreditation. When applying check to see that they are at least pre accredited.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

All AOA EM programs have to at least be pre-accredited by the time the match starts this spring or they will be unable to participate in the AOA match this year per the merger rules. The reason for this is that all EM programs are 4 years, and if they aren't at least pre-accredited, anyone starting residency in one starting in 2017 would be unable to complete the residency before its accreditation expired, thus giving them 3 years of unrecognized GME that would not carry over into the ACGME system.