AOA Internal medicine residency with low comlex 2 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dkl2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did ok for comlex step 1 with 549, but i messed up my step 2 with only 415. I want to to AOA Internal medicine. is it still possible ? Can anyone give me any advices. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, maybe not the most competitive places but apply anyway and have a reason to explain score drop during interview. AOA is more forgiving for board scores than acgme.

Thanks, i have applied about 20 IM programs. I dont know which of them are competitive. Do i need to add more programs in my list

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, maybe not the most competitive places but apply anyway and have a reason to explain score drop during interview. AOA is more forgiving for board scores than acgme.
Thanks, I have applied 20 programs, should i add more to my list ?

Have some FM backups too just in case. You don't want to scramble.

I was thinking about that too, i am planning to add around 10 FM programs

20 is fine and you can add FM programs if you wanted. I would do everything I can to get into a program that has been around for a while, avoid new programs that have cropped up. Always go with established place, they will have some of their **** together compared to places that just decided, "hey lets get a residency here, it will bring in some $$" type places.

Btw scramble can have some decent places that are open for both FM and IM, just keep your options open. You have a solid level 1 score, don't devalue your app, you will get some decent interviews especially if you are rotating at decent places. Add FM if you see yourself doing FM, its a commitment, I added a FM but just the thought of being in clinic for two years after intern year didn't settle well with me. I am glad I stuck to IM, enjoying my program, and like it when I am at work, just getting up in the morning still sucks.

keep your head up OP, that's a great level 1, you clearly have potential. don't let the nbome score changes get to you. i hope interviews are rolling ur way