AOA public awareness campaign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was with a DO attending in the ED and we were talking about me going off to med school and osteopathic medicine. And there was a tech right there listening to us and he says to the attending "so you're like a bone Doctor?" And the attending goes "what do you think? I've been working here in the Emergency room with you for the last 5 years" and the tech just blank stared at him like he had no idea what was going on

Got a good LOL out of that one.

Members don't see this ad.

I was with a DO attending in the ED and we were talking about me going off to med school and osteopathic medicine. And there was a tech right there listening to us and he says to the attending very seriously "osteopathic..so you're like a bone Doctor?" And the attending goes "what do you think? I've been working here in the Emergency room with you for the last 5 years" and the tech just blank stared at him like he had no idea what was going on

I finished some electives early this year in a hospital where many attending physicians got their MDs from top 20 MD schools and felt very self conscious around them. Most of them did not care that I went to a DO school. One of them briefly spoke with me and said to me "So you go to an Osteopathic school" and said nothing else. Most people these days do not care.

That is better than being called a bone doctor...I guess.

A lot of the angst is because a lot of DO students want to be MDs so anything the AOA does to try to distinguish/promote the DO degree pisses them off because they want to be seen as MDs and not DOs. This is why I am adopting the position that it is sometimes better to turn down DO and reapply MD, especially if you are going to have an identity crisis over being a DO. There is nothing wrong with this ad campaign besides being a bit corny and I doubt that there are many MDs that are offended.

Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I for one am extremely proud, passionate and happy to be going the DO route and I love OMM.

My biggest concern is quality of clinical rotations and DO GME expansion. The latter is being addressed but the former needs work.

Reactions: 1 users
Most lay people dont understand what medical school is unless they have family or freinds who have gone through it. I think med school is what a lot of medical assistants call their schooling (check instagram by searching #medschool and youll see what i mean). Better off calling it doctor school to the lay person but we are in a time where youll get a response like "my friend is going to doctor schooltoo! shes getting her dnp at national university online!"

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
If I get the question, "so when will you be done?" one more time... Ugh...

Reactions: 7 users
I for one am extremely proud, passionate and happy to be going the DO route and I love OMM.
NQHKSVE.gif

If I get the question, "so when will you be done?" one more time... Ugh...
It's another way of saying, "Hurry up and make banks, so you can take me to Disneyland and buy me food."

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's hard to believe but I think OMM is cool. I have seen it in action, i have seen the results. If it did not work, the physician would not be booked out for the next 6 months...
I am super excited to learn it. you don't have to believe me, but there are people like me and Dustbowl12 out there.

Remember this when you spend two hours looking for a "tapioca-like" bump that "you won't find unless you're looking for it."

But in all seriousness, the first year's somewhat useful. After that.... depends.

Reactions: 1 user
I know it's hard to believe but I think OMM is cool. I have seen it in action, i have seen the results. If it did not work, the physician would not be booked out for the next 6 months...
I am super excited to learn it. you don't have to believe me, but there are people like me and Dustbowl12 out there.

Dude, your interview is over you can drop the shtick.

Also placebo effect like woah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Remember this when you spend two hours looking for a "tapioca-like" bump that "you won't find unless you're looking for it."

But in all seriousness, the first year's somewhat useful. After that.... depends.
maybe, not going to lie, what do I know, I have not started med school yet. I might get sick of it once I start doing it, but right now I am legitimately interested in learning it.
Again, only time will tell.
Dude, your interview is over you can drop the shtick.

Also placebo effect like woah

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
man, but you don't even know me lol. I would rather have chronic pain patients have a placebo effect after OMM than overmedicate them with pain medicine. Also the doctor I know declined MD acceptances and reapplied to DO because she wanted to do OMM ( in facts, that what she does now).
Us, crazies, are out there, I am telling you. ;)

Last edited:
man, but you don't even know me lol. I would rather have chronic pain patients have a placebo effect after OMM than overmedicate them with pain medicine. Also the doctor I know declined MD acceptances and reapplied to DO because she wanted to do OMM ( in facts, that what she does now).
Us, crazies, are out there, I am telling you. ;)

as a physician I prefer to leave the chiropractic treatments to the chiropractor and focus on evidence based medical interventions

Note: pain meds, unlike OMM, have actually been studied in placebo controlled trials.... and they don't really work for some chronic pain

as a physician I prefer to leave the chiropractic treatments to the chiropractor and focus on evidence based medical interventions

Note: pain meds, unlike OMM, have actually been studied in placebo controlled trials.... and they don't really work for some chronic pain

To be fair, some of the techniques are similar or the same as physical therapy (shared some labs and inter professional courses with their students, so n=small). That doesn't mean the onus of proof isn't on the OMM practitioners (I agree that there's far too much hand waving involved, poor studies, etc.); but there are issues with how one creates a "placebo" treatment when manipulation requires hands on the patient, some sort of force, and so on.

The combination of legitimate concerns about validity, poor research design, and doctrine from on high is, I think, one of the reasons a significant portion of modern DO's feel the way they do about OMM.

OMM isn't just cracking backs. As others have said, many of the techniques overlap with physical therapy techniques, which have been extensively studied.

It's pretty hard to do placebo sham studies with manipulation (or even surgical procedures). I mean just look at the issues with some ortho surgeries that appear to be little more than placebo, yet are still done. Its not an excuse not to try to do research, and I honestly hope research will only improve especially with the NMM RRC. It's also not a reason to completely disregard the field as you have.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got nothing against it. Soft tissue is great foreplay and might get you laid.

DO student inferiority complex is the saddest thing ever. Be proud of who you are. Otherwise reapply MD or choose a different career

Wanting OMM to conform to higher, science-based standards and being skeptical, particularly of the more ridiculous and blatantly unscientific treatment modalities, has nothing to do with an "inferiority complex." It just means that some of us have peaked behind the curtain in our OMM courses and came out with doubts and questions we didn't necessarily have before, doubts that for many of us are fairly significant, particularly considering OMM is pretty much the only thing that separates us from our MD counterparts. You haven't even started yet; don't go discounting the opinions of those who have come before you until you've had the opportunity to go through it yourself. Personally, I was die hard excited, raring to go at it with those who denigrated OMM, when I started. By the end of first year, I saw OMM for what it primarily is: a nice treatment for back (and maybe neck) pain.

Wanting OMM to conform to higher, science-based standards and being skeptical, particularly of the more ridiculous and blatantly unscientific treatment modalities, has nothing to do with an "inferiority complex." It just means that some of us have peaked behind the curtain in our OMM courses and came out with doubts and questions we didn't necessarily have before, doubts that for many of us are fairly significant, particularly considering OMM is pretty much the only thing that separates us from our MD counterparts. You haven't even started yet; don't go discounting the opinions of those who have come before you until you've had the opportunity to go through it yourself. Personally, I was die hard excited, raring to go at it with those who denigrated OMM, when I started. By the end of first year, I saw OMM for what it primarily is: a nice treatment for back (and maybe neck) pain.

I have serious questions about your assessment
as the evidence base for OMM has gone beyond back and neck pain

Guys... you don't have to completely "pick a side" here. It's possible to, simultaneously:
A) think OMM has an effect
B) wish OMM was more evidenced-based and less anecdote-based
C) "believe in" some parts of OPP and not others (I'm a hard yes on muscle energy, a "maybe" on lymphatics and a hard no on cranial, personally)

There's a happy medium somewhere between thinking it's 100% magic and thinking it's 100% fraud.

Reactions: 3 users
Guys... you don't have to completely "pick a side" here. It's possible to, simultaneously:
A) think OMM has an effect
B) wish OMM was more evidenced-based and less anecdote-based
C) "believe in" some parts of OPP and not others (I'm a hard yes on muscle energy, a "maybe" on lymphatics and a hard no on cranial, personally)

There's a happy medium somewhere between thinking it's 100% magic and thinking it's 100% fraud.

I definitely agree; some parts of OMM make sense and others don't. I believe that most of the strictly musculoskeletal modalities are totally legitimate; however, once it moves beyond MSK, I think OMM overreaches (especially cranial & Chapman's and probably vicerosomatics).

I definitely agree; some parts of OMM make sense and others don't. I believe that most of the strictly musculoskeletal modalities are totally legitimate; however, once it moves beyond MSK, I think OMM overreaches (especially cranial & Chapman's and probably vicerosomatics).

Here's the problem... whether or not something "makes sense" is completely irrelevant to whether or not it's an effective medical treatment.