AObNP boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peiyueng

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the aobnp boards last week.

Does anyone know if one can independently fail he neurology portion and end up failing the exam? Do they parse it out into neurology and psychiatry passings?

I know that the MD's did away with that.

Anyone know the answer to this question?

Thx!

[I did a search using every combo of DO boards and AOBNP boards and found not the answer on this forum. I also emailed Libby at AOBNP and got completely and utterly ignored . . .]

Thx in adavnace!

Members don't see this ad.

you know what? that is great news! thank you for answering! This means I passed the boards. I did so so on the neuro. and when the neuro questions were all so iffy and poorly written, it really made me worry.

The most worrisome part of the neural was that there were soooo few questions. Had it been a separate passing type of scoring, it would have been really unfair becuase there just weren't enough questions to really test someone's neuro knowledge.

You know what I mean? It is like if you get only a few questions (only 1 out of 4 questoins were neuro), and all the questions were vague and purposely obsure, then there would have been just too much guessing and luck and variance.

So, it makes sense that they could not do both being vague and still expect people to pass each part. What I mean is that they can only fairly do a seperate grading if there is enough substance in each separate part.

Thx!

It takes a huge load off my shoulders.

Cheers.

Some of the obcure neuro was like:

1 what is the most common cause of acute confusional state [that is the whole question. there is no other clue].

a. subdural hem.
b. substance abuse drugs
c. metabolic encephalopathy
d. accidents

2. paraphrasing: out of all these answers that are true, which is just a little bit truer?

And lots of questions had all the answers correct or all the answers wrong and there is no way to pick them.

Here are some of the psych questions:

It was Alfred Adler who first coined the term Inferiority complex.

Rouse Vs Cameron: The right to mental health treatment

Drift hypothesis: explains why there is a disproportionately large number of patients with mental illness in urban ghettos (they start in which ever class they start and drift down).

Briquet syndrome: a somatization

pedophilia in women: 1 in 20 are masochists

M'Nuaghten Rule:
A person is not guilty because he did not know right from wrong. Knowing right from wrong is the legal standard.

As far as I know all these disorders put patients at increased risk for ETOH:[IE this question has no right answers because they are all true]
Borderline
Anxiety
Schziophrenia
Antisocial PD
PTSD

If parents cheat and steal, as in the case of the 8 year old who was caught stealing stuff from school locker, the parents suffer from a super ego lacunae: A superego lacuna is a psychoanalytic term for a gap in the superego. It helps to conceptualize how an area of conduct can be outside of the internalized morality of an individual

Benzodiazepine withdrawal: photobia, dysphoria, muscle cramps (twitch), nausea

Wyatt vs Stickey: people commited have a right to treatment that will reasonably have a chance of rehabilitation.

Preoperational Stage:
The child's teacher says there is language progess and intuitive thought, but the child still lacks logical and deductive reasoning.

By age three, a child should be able to use the pronoun "I" correctly.

Other questions:
what distinguishes a low potency from a high potency first Gen Antipsychotic

Which Antipsychotic has the least QTc prolongation?