AP classes

AE3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm an incoming sophomore this year and i would like to know which AP classes are necessary for preparing for a pre med major in college. As a sophomore the only AP class available is AP us history, which i am taking. Is it really necessary to take as many AP maths and sciences?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm an incoming sophomore this year and i would like to know which AP classes are necessary for preparing for a pre med major in college. As a sophomore the only AP class available is AP us history, which i am taking. Is it really necessary to take as many AP maths and sciences?

Take Calc AB, Calc BC and every AP science class you can.

Just on a basis of what science AP classes strictly were actually useful to me in the long run in terms of learning medicine:
1) AP Biology
2) AP Chemistry (moreso for MCAT, a bit for learning Biochem)
3) AP Physics (not because you actually need to know more than basic physics once you're in medical school and beyond but because the MCAT tests this)
4) AP Psychology (not needed in undergrad, but good for med school)

Of course you should still take other AP classes if possible too because colleges like to see that you can handle a challenging curriculum. Also, pre-med is not a major. Pre-meds can be anything from Biology to English or even music majors; you just have to take the classes medical schools require. Plus you never know if you might change your mind later, so definitely explore all your interests and all types of classes in high school.

To answer your question about whether it is absolutely necessary to take a bunch of AP math and science classes in high school, the answer is no. They definitely help, and will be useful in building up a good foundation for science knowledge, but it's not necessary that you go crazy with taking these classes at this point of your life if there are other classes you would rather take.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thanks this helps a lot, it sounds like i should just try to build a good backround in science heading into college. Also i was speaking broadly about a pre med major, its too soon to decide one.

Just a word of caution: many medical schools will not accept AP credit for pre-rec classes (biology, chemistry, physics, math) unless you take upper level courses in these subjects in college. If you aren't hoping to take upper level physics... during college, see if you can take some of the general requirements for your intended major or for the schools you're thinking of attending. It will save you time in college if you can place out of some of the requirements (foreign language, history, social science).

Take what you love. There is no prescribed requirements for what you do in high school, and I guarantee you that it will have nothing to do with getting into med school short of how it affects where you go to college. One of my close friends in med school was an English major in college. You will still need to do prerequisites, but when I interview med school applicants, I don't care about the obligatory courses and activities that make them look like every other applicant. I look for their passions and get them speaking about what they love.

In summary, take the classes you think you will enjoy. If you won't enjoy any because... well... it is high school... take the classes that will get you into a good college, reassess what you enjoy, and go from there.

Yeah do what you love. I mean I took AP Chem and this year I am taking AB Biology and also AP Calculus AB. I kind of wish I would have taken it earlier so I could have taken the BC course this year, but like some other people have said it doesn't really matter. I don't think med schools are going to care so much what you did in HS so much as they will what you did in college, which is what really matters. Of course taking AP or Honors course will prepare you for college which will make those necessary courses much easier to transition into. If you really want to take AP then def focus on math and sciences when they become a available to you.

Sophomore year, 1 AP: Art Studio
Junior year, 5 AP: Calc AB, English Language, Art History, Bio, US History
Senior year, 9 AP: Calc BC, English Lit, Chem, US Government, Econ Micro, Econ Macro, Comparative World Government, Physics B, Physics C
All passed, most with 5's.

Shave one year off college, get your Master's: win.

Be sure that you don't suffer lazyness and procrastination in college like I did. I worked harder in high school than I ever did in college.

And now med school is harder than all those high school years, combined.

For a normal person, I suggest Calculus (preps you for your 1 year of college math and physics), Chem, Bio, and Physics.