AP Human Geography vs AP Euro

NorthwesternHPME

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a sophomore this year and was wondering from those who have taken the MCAT and are far along the road to receiving an MD whether I should be taking a sociology/anthropology class (AP HUMAN GEO) or a history class (AP Euro).

I was wondering which one would help me more on

A. THE MCAT
B. UNDERGRAD AND MED SCHOOL

THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. Tbh, you'll probably forget the material before you even apply to college. Take whatever you are interested in because I can guarantee you that no high school class will help on the MCAT or in med school.

My 2 cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. I took AP Psych sophomore year thinking it'll help me in college and when I am studying for the MCAT, guess what... I don't remember ****. IMO, these AP and honors classes will just teach you how to be responsible, study habits and things like that.

Don't get caught up revolving your life around the MCAT and Med school, those are not the only things that should be in your life. Yeah they are important but make sure you do what YOU will enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahahha! The best thing you can do in high school is take classes which challenge you to think critically. The grades you get don't matter. Dont waste any time with memorization based classes like AP Psych

I actually took AP World in high school and got a 4 on the exam, which took care of like a humanities and ethnic studies at the same time or something (definitely took care of two classes which I did not want to take in college). I'd highly recommend doing that if you can. AP Euro might take care of a humanities and ethnic studies too if you do well enough, I'm not sure, that'd be something to look in to. You'd have to look at where you want to go to college and see what AP scores count for what classes.

I did take AP Human Geo and hated the class btw.

As far as helping you for the MCAT/ Med school, neither of those are going to help you much haha. AP Biology is the class to take if you're looking to go in to medicine. That class set a new standard of difficulty for me. I'd honestly say AP Bio was harder than any bio class (and even gen chem I and II) I've taken in college so far, which includes animal bio, botany, and human physiology. I've gotten easy A's in all my science classes, which I would partially attribute to the rigor of AP bio. I didn't just learn biology, I learned how to study, because I was really being challenged.

Well...next year I'll be taking AP Euro, AP Bio, and AP Physics...
I've heard from most that Bio isnt that difficult.

Well...next year I'll be taking AP Euro, AP Bio, and AP Physics...
I've heard from most that Bio isnt that difficult.

When I took it at my high school (this was 4 years ago though) it met two hours everyday, a lot of content, and required you to think conceptually and synthesize new ideas based on what you know. This class was the only class offered at my high school that met two hours everyday, and the exams took two hours as well (sometimes longer).

I remember having to make a molecular drawing of four complimentary base pairs (including phosphate groups and sugar) and show how they matched from memory on an exam once. Another exam we had to draw out either glycolysis, Krebs cycle, or the ETC in great detail, showing every step, the name of the molecule that was formed, and in some cases the name of the enzyme that formed it.

That's definitely more difficult than any bio class I've taken so far, but maybe it's different at your HS. Either way, you'll be happy you took AP Bio in the long run haha

Last edited: