AP stats credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychout129

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that statistics is usually a required pre-req for most psych programs. I actually did not take stat in undergrad because I had AP Stat credits from high school. Will this be sufficient for PsyD/PhD programs? It is listed on my undergrad transcript that I had these AP credits. Any info would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that statistics is usually a required pre-req for most psych programs. I actually did not take stat in undergrad because I had AP Stat credits from high school. Will this be sufficient for PsyD/PhD programs? It is listed on my undergrad transcript that I had these AP credits. Any info would be appreciated!

It could be sufficient, you might want to ask someone at programs at which you're applying, but the stats courses I took in undergrad were specifically geared towards their use in psychological research.

I think it might depend on other factors, especially if you also completed research methodology courses and have done any empirical psych research where you would have actually used stats for analyzing data.

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless if it counts or not, you should have a good understanding of things like measures of central tendency, variance, concepts related to basic significance testing (z- and t-tests; alpha/p-values), non-parametrics (e.g. Chi-square), and their application. Pre-reqs should not just be about checking off the box, but about giving you a good foundational understanding. In many doctoral programs, you'll be taking stats in your first semester, so the better your foundation, the easier it will be to hit the ground running. If you think your AP course covered thes topics sufficiently and you really understand them, great. If not, I'd suggest that you see how you do with an actual college level stats course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regardless if it counts or not, you should have a good understanding of things like measures of central tendency, variance, concepts related to basic significance testing (z- and t-tests; alpha/p-values), non-parametrics (e.g. Chi-square), and their application. Pre-reqs should not just be about checking off the box, but about giving you a good foundational understanding. In many doctoral programs, you'll be taking stats in your first semester, so the better your foundation, the easier it will be to hit the ground running. If you think your AP course covered thes topics sufficiently and you really understand them, great. If not, I'd suggest that you see how you do with an actual college level stats course.

I did take a research methodology course in undergrad that was very stats heavy and have also been doing research for a couple of years so I'm very comfortable with stats. I was just asking more in terms of whether a program would not even accept my app if a pre-req class wasn't actually taken in undergrad. I guess I will have to contact specific programs to check on that.

I was just asking more in terms of whether a program would not even accept my app if a pre-req class wasn't actually taken in undergrad. I guess I will have to contact specific programs to check on that.
I did the same thing and didn't have any trouble getting into a program. It's on your transcript, so you should be fine.