APA Action Alert: Missouri Psychologists Take Action Now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edieb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow MOPA Members,

HB344 is on the Bill Calendar for today under "House Bills forPerfection" (one of the last stages before a bill gets sent to theGovernor for endorsement. This bill does many great things such asintegrating behavioral and physical health, reducing health care costsfor Medicaid, opening up new streams of revenue for psychologists whodo not currently use H&B codes, and allowing psychologists who do usethem to be reimbursed fairly for their services.

These codes arelimited in their use to only psychologists so we won't have to haveany "turf wars" over them, as well. I urge everyone to write or call your state Representative. If youdon't know who that is, go here and enter you zip code:http://www.house.mo.gov/legislatorlookup.aspx

Sometimes, a zip code is divided amongst representatives, in whichcase you'll need to know your zip+4 (e.g., 63123-1234). If you don'tknow your zip code+4 go here:https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.actionand the USPS will tell you what your zip+4 is. Once you find the homepage of your state representative, there will bea link to email them. Here is a sample letter you can edit and sendvia email. You can also call, or do both. Make sure you identifyyourself as a constituent in your letter/phone call. Dear Rep. XXXXXX,I am writing as a constituent and psychologist in strong supportofHB344. The bill is slated for House Calendar on Monday, April 22nd. This bill will allow psychologists to be reimbursed for servicescovered under Health and Behavior Codes (H&B Codes) by MO HealthNet.These codes were developed over 10 years ago so that psychologistscould address the behavioral components of many medical conditions.The codes capture services addressing a wide range of physical healthissues, such as patient adherence to medical treatment, symptommanagement, health-promoting behaviors, health-related risk-takingbehaviors, and overall adjustment to physical illness. Currently,there are many psychologists across the state who already areperforming the services captured under the H&B codes but are notgetting reimbursed for these services when the patient is covered byMOHealthNet.

Many of these patients are children. Medicare has beenreimbursing for these codes for over 10 years and many privateinsurance carriers will reimburse for them. Additionally, these codesare already covered by 11 other states' Medicaid programs. Three ofthese states are neighboring states to Missouri (Iowa, Oklahoma andTennessee). These codes have also been shown to decrease healthcarecosts overall, especially among low-income populations (i.e., thosetypically served by MO HealthNet). I am available to discuss this bill and other mental health issues inMissouri at your convenience. Sincerely,XXX X XXXXXXX, Ph.D.Constituent - District XX

Members don't see this ad.