APAGS Election! Member-at-large, education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simply psych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I hope this post finds you well! For those of you I have not had the pleasure of meeting yet, my name is Blaire Schembari and I am a 4th year clinical psychology PhD student at The Catholic University of America.

I am running for an elected position with the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS)— member-at-large, education focus.
If you would like to learn more about what my focus will be if elected, please visit my election website at: http://bschembari.wix.com/2015election
If you’re an APAGS member, I humbly ask for your vote. If you have any friends, colleagues, classmates, and/or practicum/externship/internship associates that are APAGS members, I kindly ask for your recommendation so they can learn more about my goals for this position.

Please feel free to forward this post to them and/or spread the word to keep an eye out for my name on the ballot!
The election period opens TODAY and close on April 30, 2015, at 11:59 p.m. ET.

If you're an APAGS member you will be emailed a link to vote today!

I’m very excited about the prospect of representing you and other graduate students!
Thank you for your support.

Best,
Blaire

Blaire C. Schembari, M.A.
Doctoral Candidate, Clinical Psychology
The Catholic University of America
620 Michigan Ave., NE
Washington, D.C. 20064O'Boyle Hall, Room 314
[email protected]
http://psychology.cua.edu/
https://sites.google.com/site/cuajsplab/home

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Regarding your position on the internship imbalance, particularly creating more accredited internships, why do you advocate this versus having tighter requirements for accreditation regarding internship placement? Research indicates that much of the imbalance comes from a small number of programs that have particularly large cohort sizes and perform poorly (see Parent & Williamson, 2011), so cracking down on such programs seems like the best way to address the issue, particularly given that creating enough accredited internship to make a meaningful difference in the imbalance is probably not feasible or efficient.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree. These are serious positions that require folks to be able to work on issue from multiple sides with stakeholders in all the areas. Simplistic solutions (make more internships) are not viable.

I was on APAGS for years. I really care about the committee. In my perception, it suffers when the members of that committee equivocate and fence-sit on the important issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just participated in the APAGS election and all of the candidates seemed to list "create more internships" as their platform on resolving the internship crisis. Very disappointing, IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

Regarding your position on the internship imbalance, particularly creating more accredited internships, why do you advocate this versus having tighter requirements for accreditation regarding internship placement? Research indicates that much of the imbalance comes from a small number of programs that have particularly large cohort sizes and perform poorly (see Parent & Williamson, 2011), so cracking down on such programs seems like the best way to address the issue, particularly given that creating enough accredited internship to make a meaningful difference in the imbalance is probably not feasible or efficient.

I agree with futureappsy2. Further, why do you justify this over tightening the standards of programs that accept students so there aren't more students than positions?