App advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMhawkeye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asked around on a few threads here but though I would just start one to get a better assessment.
A little background:
I am a US- IMG.
Prior to medical school I worked 7 years in emergency medicine as an EMT/ ER tech and scribe.
I went to medical school with the sole intention of going into EM.
I ended up with less than impressive step scores approx 210 step 1 and 230 step 2. Passed all steps on first attempt.
Demonstrating my knowledge on paper has always been an issue with me. I amaze on rounds and on the bedside but aren't always able to transfer that to pen and paper.
Anyway i did an EM sub I at a shop with a DO EM program. Got two stellar SLOR's from two attending one of whom was the former PD.
I applied this past match. Got no love from the EM side and had all internal med interviews and matched in a medicine prelim year.
The place where I am doing a medicine prelim year has 2nd/ 3rd year EM residents from a local program for about half their EM months those years. I plan on doing my elective in the ED early to impress/ get lor's.

So after that long winded story, I am looking for advice. I have 3 options at this point: reapply to first year EM spots, apply to open EM second year positions as the year progresses, or stay in IM and apply to open EM spots after completing my IM residency.

Members don't see this ad.

id personally do all of the above. if your passion is EM, id apply to all EM programs minus the most competitive ones. throw out feeler for open positions and apply as a cat IM as a backup. You should be able to land a spot but will take some legwork. good luck

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Im sorry to hear about how your match went. If I were you, I would apply to literally 100+ EM programs since you have two things that are going to limit you (your IMG status and your step 1). Personally, Im a DO, and applied to almost 130 ACGME programs that historically have taken DOs in the last 5 years. For you it may be more difficult since many programs will not have IMGs for you to see that they are open to it. You listed three options, but why not try all three? I am not sure you can apply for EM 1st year positions through the match and try for 2nd year positions as well, but you if you have to choose one of these, I would go with second year positions since first year positions will be harder to get for you. You really have nothing to lose by trying as many angles as you can to get into a residency. Then if you don't get EM, you continue with IM and try for EM when you are done with it. The only problem with this plan is that there is very little funding for people doing their second full residency... I have heard of residents completing a residency and then trying for a second one only to be told that they would have to be unpaid if they wanted to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Asked around on a few threads here but though I would just start one to get a better assessment.
A little background:
I am a US- IMG.
Prior to medical school I worked 7 years in emergency medicine as an EMT/ ER tech and scribe.
I went to medical school with the sole intention of going into EM.
I ended up with less than impressive step scores approx 210 step 1 and 230 step 2. Passed all steps on first attempt.
Demonstrating my knowledge on paper has always been an issue with me. I amaze on rounds and on the bedside but aren't always able to transfer that to pen and paper.
Anyway i did an EM sub I at a shop with a DO EM program. Got two stellar SLOR's from two attending one of whom was the former PD.
I applied this past match. Got no love from the EM side and had all internal med interviews and matched in a medicine prelim year.
The place where I am doing a medicine prelim year has 2nd/ 3rd year EM residents from a local program for about half their EM months those years. I plan on doing my elective in the ED early to impress/ get lor's.

So after that long winded story, I am looking for advice. I have 3 options at this point: reapply to first year EM spots, apply to open EM second year positions as the year progresses, or stay in IM and apply to open EM spots after completing my IM residency.
Do all of the above but back it up with a low OB track FM program that will let you get EM electives.

Any chance you are training in philly? If so.
I know the program and you can pm me.

If not, I can add much.
Just apply everywhere and hope for the best.

The hard truth is that you likely won't match and you should try to continue your Im training.