About the ads

1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

Appalachian College of Pharmacy, 2012 matriculation

Discussion in 'Pharmacy School-Specific Discussions' started by emmarae36, Oct 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. emmarae36

emmarae36

Pre-Psychology

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Anyone interested in this school for 2012? It's in the middle of nowhere, so it'd be nice to know someone maybe to share costs of going to an interview. Or any current students, is the school any good?
  2. rx2016

rx2016

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey there...
    I haven't applied there, but I can offer some insight into the area. I grew up about 10 minutes from the school, and like you said, it is in the middle of nowhere. HAving said that, they did just get a Wal-Mart. :)
    As far as what it's going to cost you to interview there, that will depend on where you are coming from. The nearest airport is 2+ hours away, so you should factor in renting a car if you plan on flying. As far as lodging is concerned, there is one major hotel (Comfort Inn) that is in town, and a few "hole in the wall" motels around. I can't imagine that you would pay any more or less by staying there vs. somewhere else. Generally speaking, alot of my friends from my high school days have gone there, or are there now, and they really like it. Just gotta decide if you wanna be in a remote location or in a place where more goes on outside of pharmacy school. As with anything, it can be fun if you make it fun. Good luck!
  3. emmarae36

emmarae36

Pre-Psychology
    Thanks. I like the IDEA of in the middle of nowhere, having grown up in the tourist capital of the world. I'll invest the money for an interview then. I just didn't know any opinions from that school. If you say your friends like it, I'll check it out!
  4. Lid04pp1

Lid04pp1

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Are you going for the interview in Dec 10th? I was going to turn it down, but I realize that this school is a 3 years program! Where are you from? I wonder if this is a group interview ....
  5. sanyu

sanyu

Pharmacy Student
    I just got an invite for interview on Dec 10th also.. I'm most likely going to go since the 3 years program is very enticing even if it's in the middle of nowhere XD
  6. emmarae36

emmarae36

Pre-Psychology
    YES! Now we're talking. I'm from Florida. Want to carpool from the airport? I'm booked at the Grundy hotel. But the drive is going to stink. And being from Florida, if it snows I don't really know what black ice is or how to drive in it. I'm flying up 12/7 i think. we can keep each other company then make sure we're all on time for the interview.
  7. sanyu

sanyu

Pharmacy Student
    Oooh.. I actually still have class that week so I don't think I'd be able to fly in until Dec 9th D:
  8. emmarae36

emmarae36

Pre-Psychology
    well, it's a long way off. I'd fly out the day of my last final, so I guess I'm lucky. I also interview with LECOM this week and South University next week. In a perfect world one of them will accept me. I heard SU lets you know quick.
  9. sanyu

sanyu

Pharmacy Student
    Looks like I will be declining my interview as I've just been accepted to Union University and this school was lower on my list. Good luck to everyone else!
  10. pharmdtt

pharmdtt

Pre-Pharmacy
    I also got an interview for dec 10th and I am flying in from Houston. I was wondering if anyone wants to meet up at the airport and drive down together as its a long drive to the school.
  11. Lid04pp1

Lid04pp1

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I reschedule the interview until Jan 28th. I think I am going to turn it down since I got accepted to somewhere else! Good luck :)
  12. williampharm

williampharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm really interested in applying here. My PIC is a preceptor for this school and has motivated me to look into the program. The three year format sounds great and I've met a couple of students currently attending who have only great things to say about their experience. Florida student here. Will be finalizing my applications in the coming weeks. :xf:
  13. pharmacist101

pharmacist101

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey I'm from FL and I'm going to interview on 12/10 as well!!
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll get there on 12/7 cause you have to spend all those days in hotel!!
    I am flying on 12/9 so if anyone wants to carpool with me I would love to do that :)
  14. sharrfish

sharrfish

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I interviewed on the 1/28 and received my acceptance on Monday 2/13, I am going to this school and I am really excited:)
  15. tomasis2cool

tomasis2cool

Pharmacy Student
    Anybody interviewing on March 24th? I know it's kinda late in the cycle, but this was the only date they gave me for an interview. Can anyone give me details on what to expect?
  16. lucy13

lucy13

Pre-Pharmacy

I'm interviewing on that day, too! Where are you coming from? Good luck!!! :luck:
  17. vyen

vyen

i will be driving from FL for the 3/31 interview anyone else have this day?
  18. tomasis2cool

tomasis2cool

Pharmacy Student
    Hey I'll be coming from Austin, Texas. I haven't bought my plane ticket yet, but I'll have to fly to Tri-Cities airport in Kingsport, Tennessee and make the 2 hour drive to ACP. I need to find a ticket for 3/23. They told me to be at the college at 7:45 in the morning on 3/24! Where will you be coming from? Thanks and good luck to you too!
  19. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    I will be joining you on that same day. I bought my plane tickets to land in Richmond. It was just too expensive to land in Kingsport.
  20. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congratultions!!!!
    Would you be so kind to shed some like on what is the day layout like? What type of interviewing questions do they ask? Any do's and don't's?
  21. sharrfish

sharrfish

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The interview is really nice, i know it can nerve wrecking, but you need to maintain confidence. They do a little speech, then they start interviewing people according to their assigned times. if you interview 1st, then you do the a simple writing assignment. Interview is with two students first, then two faculty members. most important thing besides knowing why you want to do pharmacy is maintaining confidence. They ask the normal questions that most ask, like why pharmacy, why this school, time when you had a conflict/fail and how you fixed it. then they ask if you have any questions, make sure you ask some good questions, specifically about the program, it shows interest. Do not cry, that would be bad, do smile and just try not to be too nervous.
  22. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for addressing my question. I have an interview with them on March 31st.
    Do you mind sharing your stats? Are the two interviews back to back? What type of question (s) did the essay ask?
    ACP does rolling admission, according last year's stats, 990 applicants were received but only 70 were admitted. Did they mention how many students they accept per wave of interview?
  23. RxLam

RxLam

I know that the interview is an all day process, but I was wondering what time will the interview end generally?
  24. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    when do you interview?
  25. RxLam

RxLam

I'm going on the 24th.
  26. williampharm

williampharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have an interview on the 14th of April. Heading over from Florida. Really excited about checking out the campus. Have a few friends at Appalachian who really like it :D
  27. williampharm

williampharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    where in florida are you from? You flying into TRI? Was trying to coordinate my own trip and was wondering what others have planned.
  28. tomasis2cool

tomasis2cool

Pharmacy Student
    Hey! My interview is on the 24th as well. I called the office a few weeks ago and requested an early interview time, so I can have enough time to make it for my flight back home the same day.
  29. RxLam

RxLam

That's a good idea, I'm coming from BLAH BLAH and the price of the tickets are brutal flying into TRI. Where are you planning to stay at? I'm planning to leave after my final on the 22nd and staying for a night... This interview is the most expensive:(
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  30. Jellybean01

Jellybean01

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am extatic to be going on the 24th. Can't wait! I will be driving from Miami, Florida.
  31. vyen

vyen

thats a longer drive than I'll have. i am coming from tampa.
  32. tomasis2cool

tomasis2cool

Pharmacy Student
    I'll be flying in on the 23rd at TRI airport and renting a car to make the drive to ACP. But I don't know where I'm spending the night before the interview at. Hopefully at a hotel near the college, because the interview process is supposed to start at 7:45 AM!
  33. tomasis2cool

tomasis2cool

Pharmacy Student
    Does anybody know any decent and/or cheap hotels nearby ACP?
  34. sharrfish

sharrfish

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you very much, and I am glad to be able to help you out. My stats, gpa is lousy, 2.something, pcat mid 70, BS degree, As degree. The interviews are back to back, or student interview, tour of school, then faculty interview. Essay is about volunteer experience, at least mine was, and how it prepared you. I am not sure how many they will accept. Good Luck on your interview!!! :thumbup:
  35. williampharm

williampharm

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm coming from Miami too. I was debating whether to drive or fly. Your driving?
  36. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sharrfish, again thank you for your responses. Do you have any recommendation as to where to stay (hotels)? Did you landed in TRI airport?
  37. vyen

vyen

Good Luck to those who have an interview this weekend!
  38. RxLam

RxLam

Good Luck to you too! See you there!
  39. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    The invitation email said to expect to be spend the entire with them. My question is, roughly how long did the entire day last or what time were you done? This would help me determine whether I should stay the evening in Oakwood or drive back to Richmond. Thank you.
    Any hotel recommendation in Oakwood?
  40. DKingsmore

DKingsmore

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have this day as well. Have you already booked a room?
  41. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    I have my interview on this day as well.
  42. brwnricecracker

brwnricecracker

Pre-Pharmacy
    Had my interview and the drive was so long, when I got out of the car I felt chilly then I realized I was sweating and my makeup was melting off my face. I was so frazzled for my interview, all in all it went OK. Good luck to you all who have your interviews this week and coming!!

Practice! It's the best advice I can give anyone.
  43. abm1104

abm1104

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just received an interview invitation for April 28th! Anyone else receive one this morning?? I am so excited!! :)
  44. vvangy

vvangy Pharmacy Student

Pre-Pharmacy
    How far did you have to drive to get to the interview? How would you rate the interviewers, school, & program?
  45. jamsoonee

jamsoonee

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Does anyone know around what time the interview day will end? I'm flying out of Raleigh and want to book my tickets soon so if anyone can give me a general idea, it would be wonderful!

Thanks!
  46. brwnricecracker

brwnricecracker

Pre-Pharmacy
    it took me 4 hours, don't worry about the interviewers because the questions are predictable. Practice!! The school's really nice but as someone had mentioned it's in the middle of no-where XD. I'm not concerned about the program because wherever you go you're supposed to do all you can.

your tools to come out the winner is practice, practice. Crack open those interview books and devise answers that reflect your potential.

Good luck!
  47. LovelyRx

LovelyRx

Pre-Pharmacy
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I will be there ! Idk if I want to get excited though. It's sooo late in the cycle & in the email they already stated that they have limited seats and will start to establish an alternates list =/.
  48. FarmaC12

FarmaC12

Pre-Pharmacy
    Good luck everyone! :xf:

I have an interview April 14th and am coming from the suburbs of DC, if anyone wants to carpool, let me know. I will drive down the 13th, get a hotel for the night, and drive back after the interview on the 14th.
  49. jhmast3

jhmast3

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hey everyone! I have an interview on 3/31 and was wondering if anyone knew what questions they asked or what the essay was about? I'm trying to practice the next couple of days so I can be ready! Any help would be much appreciated.
  50. Rxbeaver503

Rxbeaver503

Pre-Pharmacy
    They will asked the general question of why pharmacy, the school, and some community service question. It's an easy interview and you should be fine