Appearance questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you allow a qualified intern at you practice despite their choice in hair color?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

PurpleLuna

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all!

So I'm a very hard worker and a good student as well. On paper I look very good and professional. At my current job I got a managerial position after only being there two months. Point of the matter being I should be alright getting an internship.

What I'm worried about is, that I have purple hair. I understand that I could change that, I'm a natural blonde. The purple makes me feel very impowered and wonderful.

Do I have a chance at being able to keep it? I'm not sure if colored hair is accepted just yet or not.

Members don't see this ad.

hi all!

So I'm a very hard worker and a good student as well. On paper I look very good and professional. At my current job I got a managerial position after only being there two months. Point of the matter being I should be alright getting an internship.

What I'm worried about is, that I have purple hair. I understand that I could change that, I'm a natural blonde. The purple makes me feel very impowered and wonderful.

Do I have a chance at being able to keep it? I'm not sure if colored hair is accepted just yet or not.
The clinic I worked at did not allow unnatural hair colors (other than just a small streak), but it varies obviously (not sure if your current job is at a vet clinic, but I know there are some clinics that wouldn't have a problem with it). The clinic owner I worked for was pretty old school, but attitudes are changing gradually. It sounds like you're referring to an internship to get veterinary experience rather than an internship post-vet school, but correct me if I'm wrong. You could always mention in job interviews or when visiting clinics to see if they're hiring that you're willing to dye your hair back to blonde if needed. If you're not, you might be limiting yourself, especially if not every clinic in your area is hiring.

For vet school interviews I would recommend having a natural hair color. Your interviewers might not have a problem with it, but you don't want to take the chance that it could make you stand out in a bad way. For your classroom years in vet school purple hair would most likely be okay, but you may need to dye it back to blonde for clinics.

As someone who's hair as been just about every color under the sun, I agree with Lyra. You might get away with it at some places, but it it much better to err on the side of caution.

We all like to think that attitudes regarding things like piercings, tattoos, and colored hair and changing. They are - but not changing as quickly as some people like to think. Therefore, you need to evaluate each case individually.

You need to be able to "read the crowd" if you will. The crowd I'm in now, at an academic institution where people have known me for years and know I'm a solid vet? I could dye my hair blue and get an eyebrow piercing and they would laugh and go "Oh, that's WTF!" Would I go to a national conference where I was trying to network for a job with blue hair and an eyebrow piercing? Hell no. It is very dependent on environment.

As much as we bitch and moan about how people should not be judged for their appearances - you *will* be. It's a fact of life. Doesn't make it right, of course - some of the best vets I know have body modifications of various types - but you will be.

I've been able to play around with my hair more that I am currently in a research position (and also did during residency), but once I hit clinical faculty I'm going to have to cut it out. None of my tattoos are visible other than my wrist, I have 9/16" gauges that could still pass for just large earrings (i.e. I don't wear tunnels in a professional setting). I don't wear my septum piercing at work. Stuff like that. I feel more than able to "express myself" outside of the work environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work as a vet tech in a big shelter that has 10+ vet techs (clinic/spay and neuter/medical unit) and I can tell you more staff in the shelter has colored hair than normal hair. That being said, it truly depends on where you are looking to intern and the kind of work environment that is there.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh the struggle! I have black hair with red/magenta highlights. I'm very nervous about how it will be perceived in other practices/veterinary interviews.
I was told that it should not be an issue for my veterinary interviews, but I may consider dying it back to black. The current clinic I work at has no issue at all with colored hair. It's definitely very confusing!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh the struggle! I have black hair with red/magenta highlights. I'm very nervous about how it will be perceived in other practices/veterinary interviews.
I was told that it should not be an issue for my veterinary interviews, but I may consider dying it back to black. The current clinic I work at has no issue at all with colored hair. It's definitely very confusing!

I'd err on the side of caution for vet school interviews (is that what you were referring to? or did you mean job interviews?)...I think I'd be willing to risk it only if it wasn't an interview for vet school, otherwise I'd dye it back to whatever natural solid color. Kind of sucks people get judged based on this stuff, but it really is just reality.

Thanks everyone! That was all very helpful!!

I'd err on the side of caution for vet school interviews (is that what you were referring to? or did you mean job interviews?)...I think I'd be willing to risk it only if it wasn't an interview for vet school, otherwise I'd dye it back to whatever natural solid color. Kind of sucks people get judged based on this stuff, but it really is just reality.

Sorry, yes I was referring to interviews for vet school! If i get any interview invites, I'll probably go ahead and dye it back. It's just hair after all. I don't want anything to interfere with my dream though!